Need Advice on Trailering Extra Wide

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Gringo Sushi, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Gringo Sushi

Gringo Sushi PB Skipper

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    28' Farallon Whaleback / 24' Skipjack Open
    I am shopping for a bigger boat, moving up from a 24' Skipjack, and am looking at boats that are over the 8.5ft width max. Possibly a 28 or 32 footer.

I understand that I need to get an Extra Wide Permit from the state, but they are telling me I also need to get a separate permit for each county and city managed road that I will use. One dealer is telling me to just get the state permit and not to worry about the locals because it is rarely enforced.

Does anybody out there have experience with towing extra wide thay you could share with me regarding both permits and the practicality of it. I'd hate to get all in on a new rig and then hestitate to take trips for the towing of it.

I am planning on getting a Dodge Ram 350 diesel with manual tranny as the tow vehicle. Any perspective on that also appreciated

Much Thanks

(Pardon if I am in the wrong forum. This was as best I could place it from the options. My apologies if it needs to be moved)

2. cksea

cksea <*}}}<

Name:
    CKSEA
    Boat:
    PORTA
    I would recommend not taking it to Mexico. Lots of guys tow 9'6" boats like the parker 25 with no permits and no hassle. I would not go much wider than that. 32 foot is huge, get a slip. 28 x 9.5' is manageable.

Your truck is fine.

3. Gringo Sushi

Gringo Sushi PB Skipper

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    28' Farallon Whaleback / 24' Skipjack Open
    Thanks Chad. That helps.

I guess where I intend to trailer is a key piece of info.

I want to comfortably trailer from LA area south to San Diego and North to Morro.

4. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    I'm at 28' x 9'8"

When I first got it I poked around a little for trailering permits and couldn't find anyone who knew what they were talking about - I even called CHP and they told me not to worry about it??? - so I never took it any further and have no special permits. Mind you, I never really leave the areas of Mission Bay or San Diego Harbor. Once in a while I bring it home or somewhere for repairs and I never really enjoy the ride. 28' & 6-7 ton is alot of boat to haul around - even with 3/4ton diesel at 55mph.

If I were regularly trailering on highways, like you plan to - I would get the permits dialed in for sure.

good luck

5. DaveR

DaveR Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    I regularly tow my 28'er which runs over 5 tons with trailer with my 3/4 ton Suburban 8.1-liter V8, which works very well for my needs. The Dodge Ram 350 diesel should easily tow a boat in your size range, however I think it just comes down to common sense, confidence and towing safely.

I know if I had a bigger rig in excellent towing condition and a bigger boat/trailer combo (below the GVWR of the rig), I would likely feel pretty confident in towing it around, even with the wide beam, no special permit and all the idiots out on the road that we contend with whether towing or not....JMO.

6. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    I tow mine wherever, whenver and its 28' x 9'8" and have not have any problems, just be careful... if your over 10' then there are some concerns ,the law changes a bit, wide load sign, certain times of day for trailering etc.

One thing to be aware of trailering is the height of your boat on the trailer, mine is almost 13'6" and most bridges are as low as 14'.... I've even seen one here in san diego with a height of 13'1". I have to remember not to go that way....

I try and watch for the height signs on the bridges before I enter....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. HUMMER DUDE

HUMMER DUDE 5%'er/ Free Gaffing Fish since 2008

Name:
    Armando
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 305 w/ 250 Verado's
    Here is my Tow Set up, No problems !
    pushing a 11' beam, but need a permit thats all !

2006 F250

[​IMG]

8. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    if i remember correctly the permit on the trailer is only like $20 a year for oversize. and just like said above just watch your areas of destination and restrictions, Height and width.
    good luck with your findings and have fun, by the way the Truck your talking about will do just fine. Manual Trans will make that thing an animal for pulling. Even though i am a Chevy Man.

9. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Hi, I will not give you opinions I will share my experiences with you. I have a Wellcraft Coastal 2800 with a 9'11" beam, I live in Glendora and trailer to San Diego during the summer have been doing this for years without permit and have had to problem, My boating buddy Had a 29 foot Phoenix with a 10 foot beam,I was pulling that boat some years back and got pulled over by the CHP for bragging the safety chain he instructed me to secure the chain, not a word about the beam of the boat. I spoke with the State DOT some years ago about a permit was informed that a 12 wide permit was available for $90 per year with some restrictions on the five freeway for time of day and day of week.
    I used a Dodge 3500 2wd with the 5.9 Cummings and auto trans for years. I trailered my Coastal from Florida to California without a single problem, however in 2005 I repowered from twin gas to twin diesel, man did did I have problems could not get the boat out the water on low tide days three trannys later I bought a Ford F350 diesel with 4wd, and all is well. Hope that is of some help.

10. pura vida

pura vida Pura Vida II

Name:
    Gene Miller
    Boat:
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    I have a 29 X 10 and I trailer it to Prince Rupert, BC, and I have also pulled it to Santa Rosalia, Baja. I have an annual California permit that restricts you on some of the City streets between 4 - 6 pm ie. Orange County, and LA. I don't buy it every year, but with the states running short of $, I buy the permits. Risk Vs. Reward

Banners are required, flags at the widest point, and lights at the widest point at night.

Mexico is another challenge and I don't buy the permits; I just go and I haven't had any problems, but it is a risk and challenge.

11. ALUMINATOR

ALUMINATOR Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    27' self built
    I trailer 27X10 and I buy a Cal Trans permit!! I haven't had one in three years(boat in shop) but if I remember correctly around $135. It is good only on the Start Highway road system and yes to be legal you should have one for each city you tow in. They also send you updates every few months with road construction sites and warn you about narrow lanes. If you stay under 12 feet there are not many "do's and don't s" See those little black CHP pickups??? They do this for a living and know the laws well. Towing "wide" without a permit is just like speeding. Most do it and will get away with it for years but one of these days there is a good chance you will get stopped. I also wonder what would happen if you get into an wreck? Just guessing but the lawyers will be all over you too. Maybe it is just me but I don't enjoy watching my mirrors and getting nervous every time I see a cop.

I tow with a 1 ton GMC diesel but a Dodge will work just as well.

12. Free Agent

Free Agent Wasn't born to Follow

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    Pandora
    Where did you go to buy your permit?
    Are they avail online?
    Thanks

13. riverplayer

riverplayer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    I tow this guy all around and never had a problem with the CHP.. From Santa Cruz to SD to Newpor Beach...Never a problem with the cops. Shes over 12' tire to tire

boat.JPG

14. Free Agent

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    Pandora
    [​IMG]

Good to read.
    We just bought a 9'10" beam and was wondering.

15. ALUMINATOR

ALUMINATOR Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    27' self built
    Rb, yes you can print out the form from the state site and just fax it to them. It is $90 a year. Just renewed mine last night!! I am sorry that I don't have the link in front of me but it should be easy to find at the Cal Trans site.

16. Free Agent

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    Pandora
  17. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    Not to rain on this parade of "don't worry about it", most of the replies on this post have forgotten about liability. If you do not have a wide load permit (being a daily permit if over 10 feet or the annual permit if over 8'6 but less than 10'), and are involved in an accident, irregardless of who's faulty, without a permit you will have liability. Also, if you exceed the GVWR, your insurance company will not cover you in an accident.

For fun, check with your boat insurance company on what is covered when the boat is being towed by your vehicle and 99% of the time, there is no coverage. The coverage comes from the vehicle insurance policy and if the GVWR is exceeded or laws broken (i.e. no permit), good luck getting your claim covered.

Just speaking from experience here on this one since I had someone hit my boat with his oversized boat and unfortunaltely he didn't have permits, had exceeded his GVWR, and both his insurance co's (boat and truck) told him to go pound sand. So out of pocket he paid to fix the damage.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  18. nate

nate Member

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    gone
    Good advice Shad.

Another thing to keep in mind for us heavy boat owners is the weight capacity of the stock truck hitch. The stock hitch on my F250 SD was rated to only 5000 lbs for a weight carrying hitch. For a weight distributing hitch it's rated to 12,500 lbs but very few boat trailers (if any) are set up that way. Check the sticker on your hitch.

19. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    I was pulled over by the CHP coming home from SD to OC. 27’ Whaler with a 10’ beam.

It was late and I was tried, a little weaving, almost home, so she thought I might be a drunk boater!

When there was nothing to get me on regarding DUI, she decided to pull out her measuring tape. Yep, that was a ticket for no permit with a wide load.

In court the judge said he had never dealt with such an infraction so he had to look up the regs. Since I had purchased my permit, post ticket, but pre-court date, he asked me if I had the required permit. I said yes. I just had to pay court costs. The real ticket was over $750.00, so a $100-$130 permit makes a lot of sense to me.

As Shad said, the insurance issues are more important. You hurt or damage someone and good luck, your insurance will walk away from the deal.

Cal Trans manages the permits, easy to get on-line. BTW, we went from Morro Bay to Mexico with no problems, just have the proper equipment.

20. pura vida

pura vida Pura Vida II

Name:
    Gene Miller
    Boat:
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    I have pulled my 29 X 10 about 20,000 miles with trips to Prince Rupert, Santa Rosalia, San Carlos, San Quintin, Ensenada and Lake Powell. I had my boat built in 2006 and I had permits for the first year and now I just have the banners and flags without the permit.

I follow the speed limit closely and the CHP just has a good look and then gives me the thums up.