Need advice on MXL 2spd and SX Raptor setup

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by JD0520, Apr 28, 2018.

1. JD0520

JD0520 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Camo ProAngler 14
    Hi,

Looking to board a 1.5 day trip this month and the landing advises to bring some heavy gear. I've never been to any trips longer than 3/4 days so not sure if my current gears will be enough.

Would anyone please give me insights to what would be the best to bring and what to set it up as?

1) Trinidad 16NA paired with Terez 8' 40-80 rating

2) Lexa 400HS paired with Proteus 8' 55-100 rating

3) Avet SX6-4MC Raptor 2-Spd paired with Seeker Black Steel 8' 20-40 rating

4) Torium 20 upgraded by Alan Tani for drags and dogs paired with Sabre 7' 20-40

Other reels I have laying around:
    Avet MXL 2spd and AG Toro nacl 60.

So any specific ones I need to rig up and or pair differently?

Thanks much!

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I would trade out the LEXA for the MXL. That's just my opinion tho. Im assuming you want to use that for Irons and what not. I use my MXL for irons and love it. But then again it has MC but I usually turn it off.

Geronimo21 likes this.
  3. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    you gear is fine if the blue fin are less than 60 lbs..If they go bigger you are waaay under gunned...

terryc., Olddog8 and MAG0121 like this.
  4. JD0520

JD0520 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Camo ProAngler 14
    That's what I'm afraid of... if the occasional 60lb+ bft sschools shows up which they have been reported to be around then I'll be undergunned.

If I need to pick up a backup reel here in BD for the 50-80lb fish to bring. What would be a good choice with a budget of $300-$500? I can also use my Proteus rod with it if needed.

5. Jim Schmitt

Jim Schmitt Schmitty

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Andros 16, Avet Raptor HX, Fathom 402LD, Mak 15, Fury 600:
    Any of these paired with UC 76 Predator or UC CP 70HP rod and you're set.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  6. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    i dont know the diawa rod but if you have a lexa on it now, that wont work. go to a tackle shop and they can show you. the gentlemen from Missouri named all the good reels to chose from. plus you will need a rod..

Jim Schmitt likes this.
  7. MAG0121

MAG0121 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    For the prospect of big BFT on local boats 3/4-1/5 day, the best combo for the money (IMHO) would be a Penn Fathom 40NLD2 spooled with 80lb to the top and a Phenix Axis 720 X2H. With a bit of work, the combo can be had new or nearly new for about $450 (plus cost of braid). That setup will handle the 60-140lb fish to be caught on flatfalls or live bait.

skotz and Jim Schmitt like this.
  8. Jim Schmitt

Jim Schmitt Schmitty

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    X2

9. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Yea what he saidx3

skotz and Jim Schmitt like this.
  10. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Or rent from the landing a heavy setup for $20-30...

Jim Schmitt and surfgoose like this.
  11. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You are getting good ideas. I second Eric's suggestion to rent a heavy outfit from the landing. If you have gotten the gear that you list and you have not yet taken a longer trip than 3/4 day, the best way to spend your budget is to plan on another 1.5 or better yet save a bit more and get on a 2.5-day in late summer. You have good taste in gear, what you have can handle 95% of the fish that you are likely to encounter. Most of the situations will call for lighter line and small hooks and getting a bait to swim without dragging rope behind it. Don't overthink it, there is no magic rod/reel combo. The best way to have a successful day offshore is to go on a trip that can spend twelve to fourteen hours per day out there offshore where the fish are -- from before dawn to solid dark. And stay out there and do it again a second and third day if you can afford it. A whole bunch of tuna are landed every year on gear just like you already have. Just don't leave the MXL at home, it is one of the best all-around capable 2-speed reels ever invented.

esgeo likes this.
  12. JD0520

JD0520 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Camo ProAngler 14
    Perfect! Thank you all for giving me great feedback i'll definitely take these information and apply it as i gain more experience with longer trips. I just dont want to become an angler that start collecting gears for no reason. I like to be more methodical and smarter with my approach as buying gears can be an expensive hobby or should i say "addiction" hehehe i would prefer to just get what i need and master it.

This is what makes BD forums so awesome as there are group of folks like you guys wiling to share your knowledge and help out the newbies of the sport.

Thanks again!

Geronimo21 and surfgoose like this.
  13. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    Use my ex raptor for bait on 7 foot.

14. Steel Seeker 40

Steel Seeker 40 Newbie

Name:
    Steel Seeker 40
    Boat:
    Pelican Catch 120
    Being new to the game here it's easy to fall into the addiction aspect of coming up with the perfect setups. Especially getting advice from people all geared for different styles of trips. I've got my small setups figured out and am trying to figure out what should be the "heavy" bait reel for the few 1.5 trips I'll do this year. 40#, 50#, 60#? I picked up an LX 2 speed and keep wondering if that's enough for this application. I guess there is always the rental if they really recommend going 60-80# on the day of the trip.

15. Geronimo21

Geronimo21 Newbie

Name:
    Cam
    Boat:
    Panga
    @InDeepShip Do you fish that MXL with straight braid for throwing jigs? I've got the MXL raptor w/ 60# 8 strand and trying to figure out if I should put a mono topshot to avoid backlashing or if a short fluoro leader will work well enough.

16. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Rentals are $70! At least at Fishermans Landing. I advised my buddy to rent thinking they were in the range you posted, and was shocked when he told me how much they charged.

I will not be recommending rentals again.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  17. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Honestly I've thrown it both ways. Its not going to throw the small jigs amazing but I can Chuck a tady 4/0 a country mile and a 45 just as well. The braid can be tricky but if you put a mono topshot it's bullet proof. If it's going to be thrown only on boilers or high stress situations use the mono. Getting a backlash on boilers is one situation I don't want to repeat

Geronimo21 likes this.
  18. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Everything is overpriced at Fisherman's Landing. That's what happens when you wait until you are at the end of the dock to gear up. Stop at Anglers Choice on Rosecrans on the way in and save 50% on gear rentals and most other things.

19. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    That’s a bummer man.

If that’s per day it’s a bit ridiculous. If it was $35 per day for a two day, I can see that however...

I think at minimum you are looking at $500 for rod reel and line for a reasonable quality heavy set up. So even if it is $70 per trip, for many people renting over buying makes more sense.

20. Geronimo21

Geronimo21 Newbie

Name:
    Cam
    Boat:
    Panga
    That's awesome, Adam...I think I better go with the topshot. With the 60# braid - MXL raptor - 7' rod combo, can you recommend a mono test and brand you think would be good for Catalina private boat and Baja panga fishing?

Any topshot recommendations for an HX raptor - 6' rod - 80# braid? I thinking of using it for jigging and trolling mostly...maybe cast in a pinch. btw, I used to live down the road from you in the S.M. mountains...Ventura is the bomb...will be picking up a new surfboard in Goleta in August and hope to put it to use before heading back to Arizona...
    :cheers: