need advice - need to locate my freezer outside - shaded spot - upright or chest?

Emz

someone check my bait while I go....
  • Mar 13, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out) Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
    working on a remodel layout, converting garage to ADU. Wondering if any experience out there for a mid sized freezer located on patio (shaded). Has to be south side of house. Also, Upright Freezer vs chest freezer performance / efficiency / elec bills.
    Thanks for any/all input.
    tight lines, Emz

Pcampbell61
    Pcampbell61
    I have an upright on my patio. It gets some sun early in the morning but mostly in the shade during the day. It’s working great after a year. I haven’t noticed the change in the electricity bill. The downside of the chest is once it’s full good luck finding anything at the bottom. I bought mine used.
    Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    Upright is the only way to go if you ask me. You can see and find everything in it. Nothing gets buried at the bottom.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    If you want to keep fish or meat in your freezer long term, you may want a chest freezer due to the fact that most chest freezers don’t have an automatic defrosting cycle. Most of your uprights will have this feature, check carefully before you buy. When people say that fish doesn’t keep well frozen, it’s usually because they’re running freezers with defrost. The temperature cycles up and down and that’s what does your meat in.
    It’s more work to have to manually defrost a freezer every once in a while, but it’s more than worth it if you store fish or meat.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Chest freezer all the way especially outside.Uprights are way more convenient but also way more expensive and dont last like a chest freezer.
    I went the upright route and paid $1600,loved the convenience but it only lasted like 5 years and my last chest freezer was still running after 15 so Off to costco and $200 later im good to go for 10+ years again.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    I have both... The upright is my primary because digging through a chest sucks even with bins. I use bins in my upright too... Its easy to see when you need to restock. you get what you pay for... insulation is important, if you are planning on opening it daily a chest holds the cold... where an upright dumps it out.

Reactions: marlyn and Emz
    Upvote 0

ZMF

Dec 5, 2018
    Central valley
    Name
    Zenon
    Boat
    Wellcraft
    There are chest freezers labeled “garage ready” or something like that that are designed for higher and lower ambient temps. Not sure if they come in upright configuration. I’d get a couple small chest freezers instead of one big one.

Reactions: Emz and Tesoro

jammanj

Mar 19, 2004
    La Jolla
    Visit site
    Name
    James Toth
    Boat
    18ft Sea ProCC, Kayak scupper pro 14ft,; porta boat 5hsp, 14ft.
    Have had a chest freezer outside for years.

Getting a cover for freezer has proven the most important thing, as it keeps water from outside, getting in, an turning everything into a giant meat fish filets ice cube nightmare.

A very good idea is to every 3-4 months, pull everything out, remove ice build up, and reorganize filets an meats.

With this freezer and taking my time vacuum packing in small portions, i always have sashimi quality fish at the ready...

Works great.

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    what is a ADU ?

Cue the ADU, also known as an accessory dwelling unit—a small outbuilding that can function as anything from an entire guest apartment to a yoga studio, an extra bedroom to a home office. ... An accessory dwelling unit is typically described as a self-contained structure on the same property as a single-family home.

doug is probably going to grow tomatoes :Smoke_Emoticon::Smoke_Emoticon::Smoke_Emoticon:

Upvote 0

jjbaxter

jb sc
    Mar 28, 2010
    santa cruz
    Name
    jb
    Boat
    22 ana capri
    I have lost 2 freezers with fish in it over the last 3 years. Real heartbreaker. One lasted 6 years and was used. The new one lasted a year. They were both outside exposed to the weather. If you plug into a gfci and it trips you could lose it all also. Good luck!

Reactions: Emz

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    Have had a chest freezer outside for years.

Getting a cover for freezer has proven the most important thing, as it keeps water from outside, getting in, an turning everything into a giant meat fish filets ice cube nightmare.

A very good idea is to every 3-4 months, pull everything out, remove ice build up, and reorganize filets an meats.

With this freezer and taking my time vacuum packing in small portions, i always have sashimi quality fish at the ready...

Works great.
    A good chest freezer cover is one made for a swamp cooler. They come in different sizes and available in canvas or plastic tarp material. I have the canvas one as they're waterproof.

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    I have two chest freezers, one for eats and the other for bait. You can pack more in a chest freezer, but access is harder. I made some plywood boxes with rope handles that fit snuggly in the freezer. Each box can hold 70 lbs of bait, like mackeral. I bag the mackeral in 10 lb plastic bags. If you chum or chunk, having a bait freezer is a good idea. The eats freezer has my catch (crab, lobster, cod ...) and large things on sale, like a ribeye roast ( buy a ribeye roasts on sale at Christmas or Easter. Carve into steaks or cook whole, buy the largest one available). It is loosely packed, so access is easier, but still a pain. I almost lost my eats freezer a month ago as the plug did not connect well in the socket. Luckily it was discovered as things were beginning to thaw. I am now in the market for a freezer alarm. Looks like you can get one for about $50 that links to your phone.

As for a cover, be careful. The freezer needs to reject heat to the environment. I bonded insulation foam board to the sides of one freezer many years ago. I found it performed poorly because it was designed to transfer the heat through the sidewalls. Other freezers have a fan and a heat exchanger to reject the heat, like my indoor upright.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    get freezer alarms that work off your wifi to your phone. this is if you travel. I dont much anymore so I just put in wireless temp sensors and have the displays in my shop so I see that the temps are each day. nightmare is to have your freezer quit and you dont know about it for a week!

WallsOut

Jul 21, 2004
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    BW 17 Outrage, Trophy 1802
    I have a chest freezer on our patio outside. The patio has an alumawood cover and is not exposed to moisture. The freezer is probably 15 years old and has been out there for the last 3 years and spent the rest of its life in the garage. Stuff in there seems very frozen even in the middle of summer. Hope that helps with some of your questions.

angelinasdad

Captain
    May 23, 2006
    HB
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Whatever you choose, don’t use a GFI outlet. I learned the hard way with the first power outage and I was away for a few days. Lots of lobster bait after that.

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    The GFI should not matter. I do not believe it will trip with a power outage. Also, if a GFI is the first outlet in a circuit, all the downstream outlets are protected. So, you could have GFI protection without plugging into a non GFI outlet. If it tripped, you probably have a unwanted ground. Bottom line, get a freezer alarm.

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    Frost buildup happens when you open the door. With an upright freezer the door is open much less time, so they have less frost buildup.
    Get an alarm. Mine (about $20) has remote sensors, you can set the temp that the alarm sounds.

Emz

someone check my bait while I go....
  • Mar 13, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out) Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
    Great input, thanks gents!

I've decided to incorporate a utility closet into my ADU plans - it will be home for tankless water heater, chest freezer (small/mid sized) and some coordinated storage above freezer. Chest freezer should work best due to inputs and my limited use scenario (3-5 months/year). Definitely will install a freezer alarm. Will also vent the doors.
    cheers, Emz

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    interesting..a friend just bought a fancy temp monitor/alarm that graphs stuff out. He put one in his standup frost free and one in the med size cheapie deep frreze chest freezers most of us have. what he found is that the frost free standup maintained a perfect steady temp for days on end. the chest freezer went in dips. my one goes from -8 to 2 deg and his does similar. SO MUCH for the common belief that that frost free ones - atleast the good ones - dont go thru warming & cooling cycles. Must do frost free by circulating the moist air out when the door is opened.