Need advice booking first ever LR trip!

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by flickfish, Jul 22, 2016.

1. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger
    I did the June 7 day on the Excel last month, 11th to the 18th. The wind blew, and as far as tuna go, we scratched a few footballs one day, and that was it. We had fantastic YT fishing, but that was about it. I did catch the JP, which was just one of two WSB caught on the trip.
    The Excel is awesome, and I had a great time, but being stuck on YT's for 7 days isn't much variety. I'm signed up for an 8 day on the Excel in late August next year, as I like variety, and it's pretty much a given that time of year.
    In June you have to deal with wind and not being able to go offshore, later in the year you might get stuck running for tropical storms. It's a toss up, and you will figure it out once you get a few trips under your belt. Fishing can be good or bad on any trip, but you should have a good time regardless no matter which you choose.
    The Shogun is an awesome boat too, and that's a smokin deal for that June 6 day. Aaron will get you on fish and knows how to catch those big bluefin.

2. imtheegg

imtheegg Member

Name:
    justin
    Boat:
    i wish
    If you choose the intrepid first you may be spoiled it rides perfect and the crew is top notch.

$norkle likes this.
  3. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Never take the fiance on a trip LR. Great way to ruin a romance unless she likes fishing *more* than you do and is a real trooper in the face of adversity....

Better bet would be staying at the Four Seasons Punta Mita and then doing day trips with Lora or Danny Osuna etc...If she gets sea sick or tired of the grind then its your boat and you turn for home and you can spend the rest of the time at the pool drinking champagne and tanning.

LR she is one of the boys for 8 days take it or leave it. Its pretty comfortable by fishing boat standards but its not a King Size bed and a private bathroom/shower with pool and massages and private beaches. I am not assuming your girl is a girly girl, but it is nice to have options to make a vacation pleasant is what I am saying instead of being locked into 8 days at sea regardless of fishing or conditions. Fishing LR can be a pleasure cruise or "victory at sea" fishing. The boat sails regardless if it is safe for the vessel to leave port.

You can't go wrong with your choice of the LR fleet just that Spring (June) is hit or miss. Late Summer into Fall is a more guaranteed tonnage landed. I would say especially 2017 as there is an expected return to colder water over the winter which can make for poor spring trips until water temps improve.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  4. flickfish

flickfish Member

Name:
    Nic
    Boat:
    Sea Wolf
    Sounds like going a little later in the summer might be better. There's an 7 day in August on the Excel for $2,900, might be a good option.

johndtuttle likes this.
  5. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    do the august...you are adding tuna, and very good possibility of wahoo into the mix that way. If it is just you going, Look at Supreme/RS/AA...all seem to hold the number of passengers to 24. Smaller staterooms, but still nice...and food just as good. Get your legs under you before you jump into a wide open bite with 32-36 of your new best friends ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  6. Fyermanbob

Fyermanbob Wahoo!

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Excel
    Excel all the way, but go later if you want a variety or bigger fish. If you ever decide to take your girl they have a couple of bigger staterooms with their own bathrooms that they usually try to put couples in depending on availability.

7. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    X2 The Intrepid has the best ride in the fleet, hands down. Having said that, all the larger boats are great operations; all are fishy. There are differences in "culture" among the boats and everyone has to try out multiple boats to find their preferred home.

8. Kenny B.

Kenny B. Member

Name:
    Kenny
    Boat:
    18 Boston Whaler, Intrepid
    Intrepid is a amazing platform and the Captain And crew are top notch. Getting ready for Ken Bush 8day at the end of September, its a great trip with really terrific people. Have Fun on whatever trip you jump on.

9. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger
    99ii90 up h nmn yt t5666y9

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger
    Yk

11. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger
    G[​IMG][/IMG? Mmkk7gk6

12. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger
    J

13. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger
    B. 0 o ok f

14. pkmallard

pkmallard Newbie

Name:
    P.
    Boat:
    ranger

15. Shooter

Shooter Member

Intrepid.........longer the trip the better. She'll be fine . GREAT operation. Have fun.......I know you will.

16. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    I went on the Excel 8 day this year that left May 30. The trip didn't sell well for reasons I don't understand, and I was sure they would cancel it. They decided to run it despite the light load and we left the dock with 16 pleasantly surprised anglers who all had private staterooms. Don't know any other boat that would go with 50%.

backlashjack and vegasandre like this.
  17. pooahl

pooahl Paul

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    usually long range
    7-day vs. 8-day: on this type of trip they're probably going south to the ridge and/or out to Alijos. It's 4 days of travel down/back. You either get 4 days to fish or 3. To me it's more worthwhile to have that extra day of fishing on the 8-day trip. Plus, that way the skipper has a little more flexibility to try for wahoo/bft/whatever, depending on the situation. 7-day can certainly be good, but 8-day gives you a back-up.

Also, I can say from experience that the Intrepid crew and captain are absolutely top-notch. That boat rides really smooth and the accommodations are crazy good. Having a limited load of anglers is definitely worth the extra cost for me. Everyone is different with their needs and expectations, so good luck with your choice, you really can't go wrong with this fleet.

$norkle likes this.
  18. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    EXCEL

19. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I gotta disagree with ya there John. All the LR boats that I've been on, safety has always been paramount. Spent 2 days hiding in Mag Bay one year on a 8 day due to a hurricane.

20. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    I think I wrote that poorly. I kinda mean the opposite of how it can be read.

What I was trying to say was that if it IS safe for the boat to be at sea, it sails and if it is safe to be fishing then it fishes....That sea state may not be ideal for first timers going LR and can produce challenging fishing and a barf-o-rama LOL.

I have hid in the lee of Cedros too and have also been beaten to crap coming back up hill to SD....air drops in your bunk amidships are memorable...:). Was just trying to give the OP a heads up that if the fishing is going to be tough and challenging you are still locked in for the duration....whereas day fishing in PV you make the call and can head back to margaritas at the bar at any time etc. Way more options for a good time on a private charter. :)