Need adivce on a bigger setup 80#+

Mar 17, 2020
Bay Area, CA
Name
Christopher Hand
Boat
Triton
So this is my third year doing trips over 1.5days and am planning to head out on my first trip of the season in a few weeks. I keep hearing about the bigger fish that they are bringing in so I need some advice on some bigger setups. The biggest setups I have currently are a 765ml paired with a Talica 16 and a phenix 780xh paired with a Talica 12lb. I usually fish these up to 40-60 on bait and sinker setup. I'm guessing my next purchase should be in the 80-100lb range but I'm quite clueless on rigs and setup that big. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    3rd on the Viper if you are looking for rail rod. Despite the line rating the rod is actually pretty light and versatile. It can easily handle multiple duties from heavy jig set up, sinker rig, chunk even as kite on a pinch. I prefer Accurate reels myself but Mak, Talica or Penn would would be other good choice. Other good option is UC GP Predator.

Reactions: OnTheRocks2003
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    When going for an "80/100" rig, a "heavy frame" reel is called for. No doubt "medium frame" reels are lighter and more comfortable, but they have their limitations once you decide to cross the "80 pound" barrier. One of the most popular "heavy frame" reels in a [somewhat] more compact size is the International 16VISX. There is an individual 16VISX that is a "loaner" onboard the Pacifica that caught three bluefin over 300 last year [biggest 353], and an uncountable number of 200-plus models; with virtually zero service or maintenance.

338 16VISX Pacifica.jpg

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Tunanorth knows what he is talking about! You don't take a deer rifle to hunt elephants. The Penn 40 - size reels are a fine choice for 95% of the fish that you will ever encounter here in SoCal (or even down at Guadalupe Island) and I love my Torque 40NLD, but he is right about medium frame reels (of any maker) not being the best choice. It's really nice to fish your own gear, but unless you plan to definitely pursue huge tuna on a frequent basis, it makes more sense to rent the rig.

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    IMO the uc viper mak/ penn visx 20 is probably the best 100LB set up around right now. However, I agree with Tunanorth that the penn visx16 is more than adequate for these BIG bft. I really like having the lighter weight smaller reel in my hands than a 20 size. It makes a big difference using the 16 vs the 20 fishing these bft 2+ days in a row at the rail.

Upvote 0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Bay Area, CA
    Name
    Christopher Hand
    Boat
    Triton
    Well god must be smiling down on me or something. Not only did I get the go ahead from my wife to do a last minute 1.5d on the T bird over the 4th I also got the go ahead to buy another setup. From all the feedback I was looking at the 16 visx and possibly if I could find one UC centaur or Viper. Now for the fun does anyone know if any local shops carry the visx or the bigger UC rods in stock, I would love to go down early and get a setup I can use on the trip. Also does anyone know any local tackle shops that custom rig flat falls as I currently only have a few of the smaller stock flatfalls. Cant express how much I appreciate all your feedback. This is only my second full year and its already turned into an addiction and even more expensive than my uspsa addiction lol.

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    PM Jamie (Bob Sands) he has the 7'6" UC Viper In Stock! Good price! And, he can set the entire rig up for you with either the Penn VISX 20 or a Mak 20 SEa. Put them both on the rod there in the store and see which fits your hand better.

I have a Centaur/Mak 16 and a Viper/Mak 20, for the big'uns out there right now I would definitely go Viper/Mak 20 or Viper/VISX 20
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0