Dexter Outdoors

chxxfkxxfx

Mar 1, 2021
california
Name
Ryan
Boat
no boat
I’ve never really gone after big Bluefin before and I want a rod that is capable of landing a 100+ Bluefin. I’d be pairing the rod up with an Avet LX raptor, so what size rod would I want to pair with the reel so that I’m capable of landing a triple digit fish?
So far I’ve thought about pairing with a few rods,
Phenix Axis HAX 720XH 30-80
Seeker Black Steel Graphite 40-60
Okuma PCH Custom 40-80
Would any of those rods be good, or should I size up?

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Im partial to Okuma PCH Custom 7’4” XXH if budget is a concern or a UC Predator 7’6” when money is not a problem....pretty sure you will never go wrong with the Phenix & Seeker too.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
An LX Raptor will handle hundred pound fish all day long. I have caught multiple 100lb fish on a MXL Raptor at Guadalupe when the fish are line shy. A lot of times I will fish a JX Raptor when the fish are 90 to 100 lbs and I don't even bother with the LX Raptor. The LX raptor will hold 500 yards of 80lb spectra and puts out 38 lbs of drag.

Wandering Blues
Wandering Blues
I wasn’t slamming the LX, but pointing out the the PCH XXH is a very solid stick. I’ve got 8 Avets from SX to HX and am adding an HXW Raptor soon.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I suggest the 7' Super Seeker 1X3 at 60~100 for the larger fish and the Super Seeker 6470H (40-60) for the mediums. I also support the Black Steel 40-60, as I had one and it is very beefy. Let me also suggest the CalStar 7400H at 7' (40-100 line range). I landed a 140 YFT on that rod.
    As a by-the-by, the LXRaptor has a 46 ipc retrieve rate and I have had good luck using one as a Wahoo "on the slide" reel to drop back a heavy lure.

Reactions: IronMikeAC
    Upvote 0

Latest posts