James Slade

Jul 23, 2020
Hatteras
Name
none
Boat
none
Gentlemen:

Brand new to surf casting, want to know what reel I should pair with the 12' Ugly Stik.

Would like to avoid spending more than $200 or so.

5000? 6000? 7000?

Lots of conflicting info out there, need to hear from the pros.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

kichigai1

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    I recommend you sell the rod. Seriously unless you want to lob 4,5,6,oz. weights for Sharks or Rays or whatever. Stay in 1 spot and go big or go home. If that 's the case then get a Daiwa 6000 reel.

Myself and my friends have been using 200 sized Largemouth bass baitcasting reels and heavy Bass rods with lures only, since the late 2000's. No exagerration we ve caught hundreds+ of Calico's,Yellowfin Croakers,Surfperch ,Halibut with 1 salmon+ a few lost, almost a hundred White Seabass and a few Stripers and Yellowtails. + many misc. fish such as Bonito,Barracuda,Rockfish,Angel Sharks,Corbinas etc.etc.

Checkout the Video above Calico's and Halibuts That was an Ok Day. Literally a fish a cast for the 1st 20 mins. I was using a 2500 spinning reel with 8 lb and a heavy Bass rod.

Upvote 0

kichigai1

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    If you do a google or whatever search ....type in Southern California surffishing. You ll find a few sites and if you check youtube , you will find plenty of videos. Keep in mind that like anything else there are subtle and not so subtle things you'll have to learn. It definitely has a learning curve. Is the fishing like this all the time as in the Video? No because it's fishing.
    If you have any questions PM me and i ll point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0

kichigai1

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Did you get any
    Can you guys recommend some waders?

I'm going early morning, temps could be as low as the high-40's.

Are you fishing here ( Southern Calif. ) or where you live ? You can spend anywhere from $35-40 through $300. I myself used to use "breathable stocking foot waders" but then you have to buy wading boots or use KROCS or an old pair of sneakers etc.
    If your just starting out ...just buy a pair of boot waders. Neoprene waders will keep you warm on cold mornings as well as " insulated " waders .
    Once again it depends on where your fishing. If your fishing here . There's really no need for insulated waders.

CAUTION: if you don't know how swim be very careful of going in water above your knee area. EVEN if you do know how to swim be Very Careful..use a wading belt .
    You will be suprised at how hard it is to swim with waders that are filled with water.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Gentlemen:

Brand new to surf casting, want to know what reel I should pair with the 12' Ugly Stik.

Would like to avoid spending more than $200 or so.

5000? 6000? 7000?

Lots of conflicting info out there, need to hear from the pros.

Thanks.
    I would use the 6000 for all mono. 5000 with Spectra.

Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Regarding waders, think about the actual extra distance you will gain in your cast. At my local beach, waders only give about a 10 yard advantage.

I like to wear knee high boots in the winter to keep my feet warm and put a little more power in my cast to make up the 10 yards.

Upvote 0

James Slade

Jul 23, 2020
    Hatteras
    Name
    none
    Boat
    none
    Alright, another question.

I got the 12' Ugly Stik, a Daiwa 6500 spinning reel, and 80 lb. line because the guy at Bass Pro told me I needed 80 lb. line.

I told him that everything I read online said to use 20 lb. line, but he had some reason for the 80, I can't remember exactly what it was.

Am I going to be able to cast farther with 20 lb. line?

Thanks

Upvote 0