2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Going on my first Long Range trip along with Amy (wife of 34 years!). I have done a couple 2.75 day trips on the New Lo-An, love your So Cal style of fishing (we fish A Lot in Oregon; it is nothing like your fisheries!). Been building my quiver, pretty happy with my 30 through 80:
  • UC Tilefish Jr. w/Penn Torque 25 for 30#
  • UC Terminator w/Torque 30 for 40#
  • UC Predator w/Fathom 40 for 50#
  • UC RGP Terminator w/Fathom 40 for 60/light 80#
  • UC Zeus 3 w/Fathom 40 for jigging
  • UC Centaur w/Makaira 16 SEa for 80/light 100#
Is there a mission/value for adding a 7'6" UC Viper with a Mak 20 to the mix for this trip? Think I will want this for 2022 if I do a bigger fish trip, not certain if a "Variety" trip ever uses a 100/130# rig? I noticed Bob Sands is having a 15% sale right now, wondering if I should take advantage???

Upvote 0

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
I have the same Centaur setup as you and I also have a Viper with the Mak 20. I bring both on long trips. It’s a little bit of insurance to have overlapping rigs. I use the Viper for mostly dropper loop and the Centaur rigged up for trolling. I’ve used both for flat fall and sinker.

I would add the Viper. There’s the voice in the back of my head saying, “it’s better to have and not need, than to need and not have.”

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
It all depends on when and where you end up fishing. Also how often you’d use the heavy gear. The first few times, I’d rent or borrow. That way you’ll have a better idea what your missing. All the LR boat have a good assortment of gear. Better yet find a reel or rod sponsored trip, that way you can try different things.

Reactions: Workplacesafety
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
IMOyou need a star drag reel for bombs and jigs for wahoo. Good Luck dont forget the Jimmy Bombs

I have a Trinidad 16N loaded with 50# braid would this work well for Wahoo bombs/jigs? Too small? I have 3 Fathom 40 nld2 lever drags, kinda hate to purchase a star drag in the same size...

Have also considered my coffee grinder for this mission; an OTI Tuna Sniper w/ Saragosa 25000 loaded with 80# braid.

Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
F97B4F13-D7B9-4669-A35E-149342AEF1C0.jpeg

This is the Jackpot lineup for an October 10 day. Just saying.....big fish happen.

Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Yes, you will probably need it if the big blue fin are around. You can also rent this set up from the landing too.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Your Saragosa 25000 will be VERY useful, definitely take it for tossing lures at wahoo, and other situations. Get the Mak 20 if you want to, it can't hurt although it is not strictly needed. The big fish will be on the boats' kite gear anyway.

Congratulations to Amy, putting up with fishing husbands requires the very best of wives. Hopefully she has gone on some shorter offshore trips with you and been OK? My Patti is an excellent fisherman but gets horribly seasick on any boat bigger than a bouncy panga, including a couple of tries on big LR boats. Be sure that she won't be miserable on a real long trip.

And it would be smart to talk with Bob Dawson (619-460-5615) about getting insurance for such a far-offshore trip.

I'm looking forward to reading your report! Have a great time!

Upvote 0

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
    POWAY CA
    Name
    Richard Jones
    Boat
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    I have a Trinidad 16N loaded with 50# braid would this work well for Wahoo bombs/jigs? Too small? I have 3 Fathom 40 nld2 lever drags, kinda hate to purchase a star drag in the same size...

Have also considered my coffee grinder for this mission; an OTI Tuna Sniper w/ Saragosa 25000 loaded with 80# braid.
    Yes but a full size 16 better more line. I suggest using 40 or 50lb mono topshot of 75yd or more angler friendly

Upvote 0

Califbill

Jun 16, 2011
    Pleasanton, CA
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    Gypsea
    My heaviest rig is a Talica 12. I rent or the ship will loan rigs. Just pay for the respooling of line used. I used to do one long range a year until I broke my shoulder. And decided a once a year $1000+ setup was not needed. The long range boats have nice rental/loaner gear.

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Good afternoon 2R,

You have really built yourself a beautiful quiver.. Well done sir..

One of the things about fishermen is often times we go out on a trip thinking we have enough gear.. We then see some hot stick fishing something else or landing big fish faster and that gets us thinking about should we purchase the same rig.. The Same thing happens when we see pictures of big fish on these forums and think, oh my I need a bigger boat.....

For those just starting out on their long range addiction, there is little doubt that renting some gear from the top boats is a great way to go.. Just pay for the top shots you use and off you go... Many of the bigger rigs are over a thousand dollar setups that you get to use for the cost of some plastic leader or, if you bring your own leaders/top shots, you will essentially pay nothing for the rig.

However, You have gotten into a great but expensive mode of purchasing outstanding and trip appropriate gear rather than renting.. What is funny is the process we go thru when choosing fish specific gear.. We get excited when we first think about it as we justify the cost to ROI should we need it for that specific size, technique or species of fish. We then we go thru a process of justifying not purchasing thinking we are fine as is... and then we just are not sure.. This applies to most anything from a new car to a new golf club or bowling ball.

Without sounding like a sales person, once you have gear that fits your hand a bit better than your old stuff, you have gear that free spools or has more power than other items you might have chosen, is lighter feeling while retaining great power or your brain is just happier fishing your own gear, then other less costly choices may not meet your needs... I get it, spending over a thousand dollars for a 76 Viper and 20 Size Mak, Penn or Accurate, heavy body reel, makes one think twice or more..

Like most folks, the purchase or lack of purchase is going to nag at you until it either gets used for the appropriate application or it sits in the racks for years without use.. Some folks might go years without coming across those fish where the U.C. Viper/20 combo is needed or very helpful vs those coming out on their first trip and catch a giant on "The Right Gear" and often on "The wrong Gear"... When caught on the wrong gear the angler then comes and visits the tackle shop of choice and purchases the right gear if they are hooked on targeting bigger fish..Of course, that same angler who might have hit the big trip of the year or one of the best trips of the year regrets not having the correct gear for that trip.. And most folks are hooked after their first experience with these jumbos.

These Local, West Coast, Giant blue fin over the last several years caught so many anglers off guard or they thought they were fine with their smaller, lighter and more familiar light tipped gear. However, I cannot tell you how many of those anglers came by to purchase the 76 Viper and 20 Size heavy reel after getting their butts handed to them by these giants.. So many of the Skippers would look at folk's, whose gear was not up to snuff, and shake their heads knowing the outcome was not going to be good.

The variety of techniques for these Jumbo bluefin ran the range of Live bait on 20 - 30 pound test, Drop jigs using 300 pound bite leaders, Kite and Balloon rigs of 130 - 200# plus test lines, floating a dead flier on a fly line type rig, etc. On any given trip one technique might yield the best results while the others.. not so much... The U.C. 76 Viper, when the size of fish and conditions call for it is worth its weight in gold once you hook up to That fish you have been targeting or at least thinking about most all of your fishing life.

Speaking for myself, I always bring a U.C. Viper 76 and Mak 20 or Accurate 30 setup on every trip that either targets big fish or has even a remote chance of catching big fish... With the Blue fin bite we have had, that would mean I would have it even on a 1 day boat that might be in the area of big fish... If it does not get used.. So be it but on my 10 day trips.... I have several aboard.

As a note: There have been many, many years where 10 day trips made and will continue to make the voyage to fish outside of Magdalena Bay (Mag Bay). 200 - 400+ pound Yellowfin have often been seen and or caught in that vicinity..Some of the greatest catches on 10 day trips for Giant Yellowfin Tuna were in this area. There have been times in the past and hopefully will be more in the future where reports from Mag Bay of Big Foamers or Big fish on the chew will bring most all of the 10 days boats scampering down to the bay. If you do not have the right gear, well, you can hope the boat will have enough for everyone. For those Giant Yellowfin Tuna, which pull way harder than most Bluefin, the U.C. 76 Viper and heavy body reel will be a luxury you do not want to be without.

Best of luck on your decision and have a great season.

As always you can call me if you have any questions...

Respectfully,

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    I've been going on that trip for several years and will meet you in 8 months. :cool:

I take 10 rigs:

20-25 bait
    30 bait
    40 bait x 2
    50/60 bait
    80/100 bait
    wahoo/yoyo rigs x 2
    troller/dropper loop
    surface iron

Recently the heavy gear is for bluefin rather than yellowfin, the light stuff for small or finicky tuna and wahoo on bait. The troller and surface iron seem to be the least necessary because the boat has trollers and for whatever reason we seem to do little dropper loop and surface iron fishing (and the 80/100 can be repurposed for troller/dropper loop if need be).

I agree with previous posters and suggest reserving gear with the boat rather than going out and buying more now; save some bucks and see what you really use.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
  • Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Bring the 20 you’ll want it. There’s lots more big BFT in October and November and on a ten day I’m sure you’ll spend couple days if they are up here. Other than the you’ll want the mak on the off chance you fish Lupe for either heavy dropper loop or flylining if for whatever reason you came across a bigger school of bigger sized fish

Upvote 0

richie22

Jul 29, 2009
    Santee
    Name
    Richard
    Boat
    Any opening
    November 10 day 2020 the weather came up no bluefin, did not go further than the ridge or rocks brought mak 30 on a 4x rainshadow, 2 7’6 centaurs with mak 20’s, and a 770h with HX raptor no big bluefin or yellowfin but they got used on yellowtail dropper looping at the Rocks. Between me and my son, the sharks and the rocks it was nice to have the setups when the bite started up. My October 2019 trip the 20 or 30 size was nice for grouper fishing. In the future a 16 size reel is going on a centaur and one of the 20’s is going on a 7’6 viper. On another note multiple wahoo setups is nice.

Reactions: Bob Sands
    Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    The key being "first" LR trip. You have some of the gear, you know what you like, if it doesn't get used on that 10 day it'll get used in the future. No brainer, you made the right call.

Reactions: 2Rotten
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    7'6" UC Viper arrived today, Wow! I threw a Mak 16 on it for fun and reeled a 35# propane tank off the ground, that stick is a Beast! Hoping to hop on a BFT trip in April or May to really test it out

Upvote 0

Chad D.

Oct 8, 2017
    Leaburg, OR
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    Willie 1654 Guide
    7'6" UC Viper arrived today, Wow! I threw a Mak 16 on it for fun and reeled a 35# propane tank off the ground, that stick is a Beast! Hoping to hop on a BFT trip in April or May to really test it out

Man! I’d sure like to check out a viper before mine is built... I’m close to you, just up the McKenzie a few miles.

I’ve already got a VISX-20 to put on it when it is done. And, I’mleaving on the Vagabond the day after you head out in October!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    Man! I’d sure like to check out a viper before mine is built... I’m close to you, just up the McKenzie a few miles.

I’ve already got a VISX-20 to put on it when it is done. And, I’mleaving on the Vagabond the day after you head out in October!

Sorry, I'm in Arizona for the winter. Retired guy/Snow Bird. I do my San Diego fishing from our home in Arizona only 5-hour drive not 17! So, most of my heavier gear lives here in Arizona permanently... But, the Viper feels Amazing!

Upvote 0

Chad D.

Oct 8, 2017
    Leaburg, OR
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    Willie 1654 Guide
    Sorry, I'm in Arizona for the winter. Retired guy/Snow Bird. I do my San Diego fishing from our home in Arizona only 5-hour drive not 17! So, most of my heavier gear lives here in Arizona permanently... But, the Viper feels Amazing!

All good! I just spoke with a colleague that does the same thing between Corvallis and Scottsdale.
    I believe I’ll have a Viper at some point this summer, so I’ll just wait till then!
    And, we made it from Springfield the Point Loma in 14.5 hours in November. No slowing down! Set the cruise at 80 and let ‘er run. Stop for gas/potty/food every 400 miles whether you need it or not! Was finally a good thing about COVID. Almost no traffic...

Upvote 0