Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
Kitsap
www.facebook.com
Name
Bob
Boat
24 LaConner
My big three axle has an older Hydrastar that is either dead, has a wiring problem or is incompatable with the controller in my 2005 F250. Anyone know a shop or tech that could suss this thing out for me?
IMG_2419.jpg

Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
Those old E over H don’t like the built in truck controllers in my experience. And ironically that’s almost the exact year and make truck I had problems with. The controller sends a pulse to check for connection ( making it simple) and in doing so actuates the brakes micro amounts causing either massive over heating of brakes and or wears out the master cylinder

Reactions: t-ho
Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Do you have an aftermarket brake controller or OEM from Ford? I know on two trailers one that is new the EOH won't work with my 2013 Chevy OEM controller. If you search around in e-trailer you can find info on it regarding EOH working with OEM controllers. The Tekonsha Prodigy P3 solved my problem. On the previous boat I found a unit that mounted on the trailer that made the OEM controls work. Weird but for some reason the OEM stuff won't work with EOH brakes. Maybe it does on the newer trucks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
Kitsap
www.facebook.com
Name
Bob
Boat
24 LaConner
Thanks Jason, I've heard something about that issue. Just remembered I loaned this trailer to a client with a new truck and didn't work for him either.

Thanks Kim, I'll look to see what my controller is when I get to the shop.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Apply voltage directly to it and see what it does. Then measure your voltage output from your plug when you apply the brake.

some years factory brake controllers weren’t compatible.

I’ve got a problem with mine in a Ford 2012 f250. It’s not sending the correct voltage when using the brake pedal. I can use the manual brake lever and it works though

Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
Kitsap
www.facebook.com
Name
Bob
Boat
24 LaConner
Apply voltage directly to it and see what it does. Then measure your voltage output from your plug when you apply the brake.

some years factory brake controllers weren’t compatible.

I’ve got a problem with mine in a Ford 2012 f250. It’s not sending the correct voltage when using the brake pedal. I can use the manual brake lever and it works though

I'll try that Ryan

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
OEM is original equipment that came with the truck. Built in so to speak. Probably designed to work with 5th wheel electric brakes...that sort of thing. Damn acronyms anyway. People should quit using them.:D Maybe look up the model number of the brake controller and see if it actually works with Electric over hydraulic. Just a though anyway as EOH sure didn't work with my built in brake controller. Could be something else.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
I looked up that controller on tekonsha's web site. It says it's supposed to work with EOH brakes so my idea is out the window unless it's an earlier version than what's listed now.

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
The prodigy controller in the pic is what I use as an aftermarket controller in my 2000 F350 but it works fine with my 2015 EOH trailer.

Reactions: WaveDancer
Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
Kitsap
www.facebook.com
Name
Bob
Boat
24 LaConner
My truck controller works OK with some of my client's trailers that I move around but my trailer is pretty old. I'm going to hot wire the plug tomorrow and see if the Hydrastar indicates that it wants to function. Would like to avoid buying a new actuator but I just noticed the pressure rating on it is 800 where the new ones are 1600 . . . and I need to haul out and move a 32 Robalo with it next week . . . don't like the idea of doing that with no brakes!

Reactions: paveingnomo
Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    There is an emergency pin? Looks like I need to find a users manual :confused:

Some of the larger don’t have emergency pin or emergency lockout. Mine had emergency lever that attaches to the chain only...

If you have a second person or use a battery pack you should have brakes actuate when power is given to the brake lights. You can probably hear the pump. Is it not giving you brakes or locking up? Mine we locked up and their is a reverse lockout solenoid that actually locks out brake pressure to allow backing up... mine was not functioning. Easy fix...

It can also actuate and lock the brakes on... I had to read about it... If you are pointed down hill or flat and come to a heavy stop while pressure is on... When you slide it into reverse, it actually locks the line with whatever pressure is in it... I made a block for locking the actuator slide open, because it can be a pain in the aAs when a large boat is locked up..😀

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Soremouth'r

Sep 14, 2008
    Area 7
    Name
    Blake
    Boat
    26' Duckworth Offshore "Bad Influence"
    Hot wire the unit first and see if the pump kicks on and go from there.

Need these 3 circuits to turn that pump on.
    -12v constant from the charge circuit on the truck
    -Ground
    -12v on the brake controller signal (blue)

If it turns on you need to verify you have all of those present at the truck side connector then work your way back. Voltage may vary on the trailer brake signal circuit depending on where your controller is set to but for conversational sake im using 12v to turn the pump on.

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
  • Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    thanks all, will fiddle with it today

Don't forget to make sure the ground circuit coming through the plug is real good as the EHCU requires a very good voltage and ground circuit due to current draw, bad grounds will drive you NUTS, never rely on grounding through the hitch!

WD

Last edited:
    Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
    Kitsap
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    24 LaConner
    Hooked my truck up to a customer's trailer and the controller lit up and worked the pump on his trailer fine. Then hot wired the plug on my trailer but not a peep out of my pump.

Started digging into the trailer tongue to get at wiring and stuff buried down in there . . . who knew there was a little battery in this system? (probably everyone but me). Found a box with a very dead mini 12v battery and a broken off positive lead.

Think I found my issue? Does that battery drive the pump or something else?

Anyone know where to get these?

IMG_4292.jpg

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
    Jul 16, 2012
    Port orchard
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    It drives the pump motor. Amazon is your friend for replacement. While you are waiting for a new batt you should run the wires to another known good battery and make sure your problem is solved. It’s also worth the time to pop open the trailerside plug. Once you see what’s in there you will most likely by driving to your nearest NAPA for a replacement

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
    Kitsap
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    24 LaConner
    Thanks for the info . . . I would normally get this online but I've got to move boats right away with the trailer so hoping to pick one up locally (meaning like tomorrow in Silverdale, Poulsbo area) Auto parts store? Electronics place? Office Depot? I see they are used in network power backups. Time to do some searching . . . trailer plug is fresh due to lighting issues awhile back.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Thanks for the info . . . I would normally get this online but I've got to move boats right away with the trailer so hoping to pick one up locally (meaning like tomorrow in Silverdale, Poulsbo area) Auto parts store? Electronics place? Office Depot? I see they are used in network power backups. Time to do some searching . . . trailer plug is fresh due to lighting issues awhile back.
    Motorcycle shop. Maybe a place that has riding lawn mowers.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    I'm not so sure if that's your problem since the battery should be part of your break away system on the trailer. Unless it's needed to complete a circuit from the truck side. I've understood the break away system was separate but I've never looked at a wire diagram to really tell either. Just know the batteries and little boxes with the built in charger goes to shit fairly often.

Anyway scroll down from this link. It gives a decent explanation of the break away system. https://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/Break-Away-Battery-System-_c_25.html

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
  • Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Budget Battery in Bremerton always seems to have lots of weird batteries in stock.

WD

Upvote 0