Nebraska Goes Long Range Fishing - 15 day Intrepid Report

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Sbebdllh, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Nebraska

Nebraska Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Chamberlin
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I have never seen water so blue...

Spending the last 18 months dreaming about stepping aboard the Intrepid and actually doing it are 2 different things. A dream come true simply can't describe it. I kiss my bride goodbye as she continues to take photos of me boarding the boat with a s$it eating grin on my face. I'm last to board at #23 which frankly takes the edge off...what am I in a hurry for? There is shuffling as anglers position their main tackle boxes. I choose to wait and place my small bag in an open place later. I wouldn't know what a good spot is to start with so why try and get in the mix. A deck hand is kind enough to carry some of my bags to my state room with me and I get all of my bags/boxes on my upper bunk so it is off the deck. We are already away and headed for bait before I know it. I'm back upstairs and it's simply a dream. Watching these men scoop bait is a very scientific process based on size of the bait and specific tank they will place it in is all more than I had imagined. I spend my time throwing escaped sardines at the birds and seals while taking photos. Soon enough we are rounding Point Loma and we turn south in calm seas. The rest of the day is a blur with great food, tasty drink and getting to know fellow anglers. I have a few drinks in me at bedtime but I've been warned not to have too many early in the trip to get accustomed to sea sick meds and I pleasantly fall asleep with ease.

The next morning we have our first seminar...this one covers the topic of Wahoo fishing. I'm sure there is only so much one can say to mostly seasoned veterans of long range fishing but the Youtube videos actually cover about 90$% of what was said. The best part is, having watched every single video multiple times, it allows me to focus on picking up the little tips that are unique to this presentation without having to absorb 100% new material. Making sure you are in high gear, winding through the bite if you are casting all make the journal. The Captain also covers that we will have to freeze the first day or two of our catch due to the # of days we are at sea. He explains the fish that are frozen are not gill and gutted so as to prevent the higher saline content water from permeating the meat of the frozen catch. I'm sure no seminar is the same let alone among different Captains but I soak up every word from his mouth. This is all so wonderfully real. I am aboard the Intrepid.

Silly hats, laughter, naps, great food and more food are part of the next few days. I'm trying to gain sea legs. I have none at this stage for certain. I find myself after breakfast each morning standing at the bow...breathing in the fresh sea air, watching the sun gain on the horizon, watching a few flying fish skitter away from the boat while sipping coffee, remembering to take a photo. I bend my knees and try and become more accustomed to the movement of the boat. Each day gets better.

I have been gifted with a new mentor. He takes me under his wing. I don't have my rental gear until the afternoon of day 3 but I desperately want to put my hands on this tuna sized gear. He walks me through basics of these reels. Feeling the drag at even 1/2 of strike and how hard it is to pull line from, imagining the power of these fish. I hold the rod in my hand and he loads the rod up almost pulling it out of my hand. We put the rod against the corner of the bait well and he loads the rod up again but this time I have a fulcrum point. The concept of the rail goes from theoretical/concept to massive light bulb. Use the rod and reel to fight the fish. A lesson I will still need to learn but at this stage at least begins to make sense.

Seminars about bait and then looking at bait makes more and more sense. Pieces continue to come together. At one point I even got to molest a few dead sardines to practice shoulder/nose and butt hooking. It's all helping.

I feel the temperature of the water in the bait wells twice a day. It keeps getting warmer as we continue south. This ocean is literally flat calm at this point. We are actually making poor time because we don't have wind and swell pushing us south but it's ok with this rookie. The photos will never explain it but each day I keep thinking to myself... I have never seen water so blue.

The afternoon of day 4 we come across a huge pod of dolphins or porpoise at least a 1/2 mile wide. It's all of a sudden a fire drill with anglers at the ready and I'm completely lost. It's a false alarm. They are feeding on krill and there aren't any tuna associated with them but it is a wonderful test for me. It helps me identify the next 10 things I need to already have in place so that when this becomes a real test, I am more prepared.

I learn how to cast.

In god's name I would have never imagined how controversial this subject would be to some but my mentor casts when getting his sardine out and he teaches me how. I fail miserably but the feel of it...the steps it takes begin to sink in. Looking back now, I say I will learn to cast better before next time... you damn right next time :) If you are having trouble, or a deck hand offers to get your sardine out for you when multiple fish are hanging, they cast and I for one think those deck hands walk on water. They know this stuff inside and out...in their sleep. I watch my mentor cast for the next week and his cast is gentle, the sardine lays on the water instead of a hard slap and because it is 20-30 feet from the boat it doesn't try and run back under the boat like so many of my pathetic little sardines. I learn. Hip to the rail. Face away from the water, one hand on the butt of the rod and the other on the spool. Pendulum your bait away from you and flick your finger to get the spool moving. Gently make a smooth cast pointing your rod in the end to the water to lay your sardine gently to the big blue. I make a few non-horrible casts before session 1 is over and we agree to continue.

There is a time and place for swinging your bait underhand. There is a time and place to even gently drop your sardine at the side of the boat in hopes the birds don't see. Like with most of life, there is a time and place for most things, I believe there is a time and place (when done correctly) for casting a sardine.

The kite rod rotation is drawn and #17 will be up first. At #23 I am encouraged that it is far enough away I will get to see how it works a little and close enough I hope to get a turn. I get my gear...

100# set up
    130# set up for gray light
    40 # and 50# set ups for wahoo
    Soda has a spinning rod/reel combo for me to use and it is gorgeous. They check the drag and get a bomb tied on. My tuna rods get set up with a 4/0 or 6/0 ringed Super Mutu and at this stage I am as ready to fish as I am going to be.

I go to bed early on night #4 knowing we start fishing tomorrow. I have aspirations of fishing as absolutely hard as I can when I can so I am carbo loading on sleep in anticipation of the main event. I sleep like a baby but awake a few hours earlier than I would have wished. Up, I don my battle gear for the first time. Knee pads go on under my pants. Moisture wicking pants and shirt. Keen Newport sandals. I apply sunscreen before the sun even comes up so I don't have to worry about it later. I put my retainer strap on my glasses and cinch down my hat. And then, my secret weapon. Since I started fishing at the age of 4, if you wanted good luck in my family you brought my mom's chocolate cookies. Lore has it, skunk days were had without these mythical cookies and I wasn't willing to risk it so far from the corn. I consume my first chocolate chip cookie from home and head up stairs.

This boat is bustling. Previously casual men with beverages and smiles have an anticipation on their face. A purpose in their step. It feels amazing.

The Captain announces we are now in fishable waters within the buffer zone so troll team #1 is up. That's me and I head out as a deck hand drops a large lure back behind the boat and shows me the clicker feature etc. It isn't too long and all of a sudden line begins to disappear from my reel at an alarming rate. Fish on!!!!! I completely lose my cool, I don't breath through my nose, I don't stay calm, I don't reel smooth. Fortunately there is instantly a deckhand at my side. Talking in to my ear, calm. Telling me to step left and follow my fish to the corner. Telling me to keep reeling to keep the pressure on the fish. Telling me to lift. The next thing I know there is a 4+ foot long Wahoo on deck with a baseball bat headache! I am in a dream that has come true. I let out a woot or two and manage to find my phone so I can have a picture with Art and myself and the fish. I insist Art is in the photo. I end up falling in love with the concept of having the deck hand that sticks with me throughout the fight to be part of the photo. Frankly that fish doesn't hit the deck without them. I am nothing but the lucky guy that had his # drawn. I believe a few other wahoo were caught on the slide but with zero disrespect to fellow anglers it was all a blur.

As the adrenaline begins to wear off I look for my spinning rod so I can stand in position as troll team #2 begins their turn. I remember hearing a reference of a bird school ahead. My mentor calmly tells me to go get my 100 pound setup and put my spinning rod away. The boat turns slightly. As I'm walking to the front of the boat to exchange rods I see a scene out of National Geographic up ahead of me with at least 100 birds diving into the water constantly. I still don't have great sea legs but I move with a purpose. Back to the stern, I see there are baits in the hand wells and I start remembering words of the Captain. Nice and light green color, fastest healthiest sardine in the tank is your winner. I practice trying to catch one of these and all I have to show for it is a hand full of scales and a helpless sardine laying on the deck that has escaped. Then I hear the most famous words in Long Range Fishing.

BOIL!....

DylanJ, kookfarmer, Dcpac and 51 others like this.
  2. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    Craig, I have to tell you, for being a rookie you do an excellent write up. I have lived all your experiences before, and reading your report brings all those experiences back to life. For that alone I thank you.

You definitely have a knack, I look forward to your second chapter.

3. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Sbebdllh likes this.
  4. Steel8

Steel8 Why not...

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    None
    Great report Nebraska! Hope you're not stoping there.

Sbebdllh likes this.
  5. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Very nice write-up Nebraska-----keep it coming.

Sbebdllh likes this.
  6. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    keep typing Nebraska were waiting.

Sbebdllh and RichG like this.
  7. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Awesome Craig. Looking forward to part 2. Long Range fishing is worse than Heroin... Once you've had a taste.... Well... You already know the rest...

Jamie

bigdrunk92037, Sbebdllh and RichG like this.
  8. spamurai

spamurai Newbie

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    nope
    This is a great write up. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Sbebdllh likes this.
  9. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Nebraska that was a GREAT write up...... now I think we all need more!!!!
    Also... it was great to share the rail with you and I hope in the future we can do this thing all over again.

Sbebdllh and RichG like this.
  10. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Awesome Craig! I've been waiting for this! One suggestion: Just go ahead and change your screen name to "Nebraska." The name has stuck. I hope you like it.

Carry on sir....

JWFogg and Sbebdllh like this.
  11. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Love the writing style Nebraska.....it was wonderful seeing your enthusiasm and willingness to learn and adapt on the trip......anxious to see the rest of your report.

Sbebdllh likes this.
  12. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    NeBraska and Art with his first wahoo!!! IMG_0580.JPG

13. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    I love these multi post reports! Can't wait to read more. Makes me want to go!

Sbebdllh likes this.
  14. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Go Big Red!

bigdhansen and Sbebdllh like this.
  15. snaphappy

snaphappy Member

Name:
    dudley
    Boat:
    triton
    Wow! This is pretty exciting shit!! Also your tale of the chocolate chip cookies for good luck brought back some great memories of something very similar while hunting with my dad as a kid. Made me tear up!

Sbebdllh likes this.
  16. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Craig, if you fish as well as you write, you're going to need a bigger freezer.

Jimmieridge and Sbebdllh like this.
  17. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    "Nebraska"....Dude you are going to give a few of us a serious run for our money on writing style. Another needs no pictures report writer! Keep it coming...one day at a time

Sbebdllh likes this.
  18. farreola

farreola Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    none
    Great Write Up!!!

Sbebdllh likes this.
  19. SpartanInSoCal

SpartanInSoCal Newbie

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    None
    More please.....This was a great read while drinking my coffee this morning.

Sbebdllh likes this.
  20. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Great write up.

The tossing sardines to the seals and birds initially made me cringe, and then I remembered my first time out on ocean on the Redondo Barge doing the same exact thing, except there were no sardines back then.

Sbebdllh likes this.