Neah in June

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Brosiedon, May 30, 2018.

1. Brosiedon

Brosiedon 2525 kingfisher offshore

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Brynliana.
    Taking the new boat to Neah Bay June 13 thru 21 anyone gonna be up there in time frame. First time up there and could use some guidance. Transit tattosh pass timing when not to go. Good areas to sea bass ling and others. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or any one gonna be there at that time want to help show me around.

2. Emzbuddy

Emzbuddy Is a Yacht in my future? Why Knot!

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out, Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
    Cory - hit up a tackle store and buy the blue/white Fish'n Map. Tons of good data for where to fish, coords, etc
    As for running the Tatoosh Slot - 99% of the time you're just fine, it's the 1% that's makes you remember (good time to avoid). Zoom down on your chartplotter & stay close to Tatoosh, keep a steady speed (it's not a race) and keep your distance from other boats. Once through, expect some confused seas until you clear 1/4 mile distance. The wash rocks are very obvious - stay north of them. On super calm days go in there and check everything out - Hole in the Wall in to the south, you can even run between the wash rocks. Rule of thumb - steady power, make good headway, & always watch for unusually large swells.
    Lots of great fishing beyond that corner - makes Neah great!

EJ Swanny and NW Dex like this.
  3. Brosiedon

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Brynliana.

Thank you great info

4. FishPimpII

FishPimpII Dreaming about the next boat...

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" now that the FishpimpII is sold
    Please never ever encourage people to run between the wash rocks... that’s a terrible plan at any tide or sea state.
    The slot closer to shore is ok though. Just watch out on cutting it too close as the big rock close to shore has quite a thumb that sticks out (Maybe 15-20feet farther than it looks like at some tides) so do need to hang closer to the wash rocks and not cut it too tight.
    But good idea on that map. Lots of good bottomfish spots on there. Great places to start and then just poke around slow looking for marks on the sonar around structure. Then fish on!

Rellis and fishing fanatic like this.
  5. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I don’t really understand as I don’t fish there but why go through and not just go around? Save 15 min??

6. FishPimpII

FishPimpII Dreaming about the next boat...

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" now that the FishpimpII is sold
    The swells against a strong outgoing current actually often stack up far worse on the outside of tatoosh by Duncan/duntze rocks. So going through the slot is very very rarely any trouble at all.

7. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Depending on tides, wind , etc. I never rule out passing on one side of the rocks or the other, which-ever way I'm passing.....there is no golden rule for the slot...except keep your shit on point.

My Dad used to commercially fish NB...two years ago we eyed it up, and I said "let's not" the old man said "looks OK". Big mistake, we were heading out (west), and as we committed, I saw breakers starting to form at the entrance.

No turning around at that point. I fired up the kicker to give us more stability, looked up at the point, and saw about a dozen people. I'm sure they were snapping photos, and saying "look at those idiots".

Obviously made it through, got it turned around before we hit the breakers, and got back through, with a few stains on my BVD's.

Stupid, stupid, move..next time, and every-time, if I feel uncomfortable, not doing it....period, don't care who thinks it's OK.

I know this is all fresh in our minds due to the recent tragedy. There are fish ever-where....don't risk it guys....

8. Brosiedon

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Brynliana.
    In light of what happened recently has really got me on on alert trying to get as much info before steaming through. Always been a Puget Sound pounder. First time going outside.

9. Nosecrets

Nosecrets Blackmouthers good side

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Get familiar with current charts. The area east of tatoosh can get sporty as well with a big ebb tide. Like Jeff said, it’s confused seas at that corner and can turn into a washing machine. Just don’t get too overzealous and push your limits or let your guard down. Be safe

10. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Sea bass in kelp beds in the bay around Waddah. Don’t need to go around or far. Look for suspended schools on sonar.

Sockeye71 and fishing fanatic like this.
  11. Mav201

Mav201 Newbie

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    Team Limiters II
    Neah Bay has taught a lot of captains on this forum many lessons. Start small and then explore on the good days there is fish everywhere,

FishPimpII and DaKanati like this.
  12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Yes like don’t trust the kids selling blackberries when they say they are mostly the small wild ones lol.

fishing fanatic and Nosecrets like this.
  13. Sockeye71

Sockeye71 If it swims... we will hunt it down and club it!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Olympic 26' XLC "Sea Monkey"
    buddy boat... buddy boat.... buddy boat for your first couple times.

Any minus tide larger than 7' @ Max Ebb = just fish inside; it rips in there. Wait until slack or flood.

Like mentioned above...inside is pretty good...around Waddah, Seal Rock, misc small rock piles and reefs are all over.

When its nice, you gotta run down to Umatilla Reef (16-18 miles from Tatoosh); pretty easy pickins'

Swiftsure = Salmon (lots of them!)

We're in E-17 all summer... I have hundreds of #'s I can give you.

-Dave

BugeaterInWa and jonnyboy852 like this.
  14. Brosiedon

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Brynliana.
    Dave,
    I got a slip ill be checking in Thursday week after next. I will be camping at the resort as well with whole family and friends. I will stop by.