Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat Name
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Many here have had their asses handed to them when testing the south forecasts, yet we too frequently continue to test them 😂😂😂😂
I've learned that the S in the forecast ALWAYS stands for Shitty. I don't think I can recall a day ever where the forecast called for a S wind (regardless of the speed) and the ocean was not completely shitty.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat Name
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Honest opinion. This week looks like crap. It's just a halibut. They aren't going anywhere. Lots of season left . I'm old and have had my ass kicked plenty enough. And.. I prefer to fish without spilling my coffee right off the bat.

But ..CG has been bored for 8 months so...if you want to be a statistic throttle down...
And it's Monday. Only 8 more forecast changes before Thur. It'll lay down I'm sure.

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat Name
    Kristen Lee
    Any of you experienced captains have any tips for driving in rough weather?bow down
    The key is speed! Bow down means your driven hard into the trough and then launched at the top of the wave only to be slammed at the bottom of the wave. You want to speed up and launch off the top of wave and land on top of the next wave. Skipping across each wave. If you’re pounding, you’re going to slow.

EJ Swanny
    EJ Swanny
    Swede is spot on, not sure why that is funny. I try not to trim the bow down on seas 4' and under. You plow into each wave, and bash into the next one. Trim your bow up, and keep speed up. The middle of your boat will take the next wave and essentially squash/skip over the waves. Like I said though, that's for 4' and under chop.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Any of you experienced captains have any tips for driving in rough weather?bow down
    The faster you go, the more swells and chop you fly over

But seriously it’s a feel thing. General rule of thumb Is trim bow down going into and trim bow up in a following sea. But if you have a boat without much foreward buoyancy and shallow approach angle like so many of these aluminum lake hulls with offshore hero decals these days then you may have to trim up to avoid submarining.

Again it’s a case by case basis and a feel thing

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat Name
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Many here have had their asses handed to them when testing the south forecasts, yet we too frequently continue to test them 😂😂😂😂
    The faster you go, the more swells and chop you fly over

But seriously it’s a feel thing. General rule of thumb Is trim bow down going into and trim bow up in a following sea. But if you have a boat without much foreward buoyancy and shallow approach angle like so many of these aluminum lake hulls with offshore hero decals these days then you may have to trim up to avoid submarining.

Again it’s a case by case basis and a feel thing
    You win the Internet tonight. I spit my white claw out😂😂😂😂😂

Upvote 0

MarkFromSea

Piscatologist
    Jun 10, 2012
    Name
    Mark
    Boat Name
    "Solo"
    Ahhh.... It'll be fine.

IMG_0407.JPG

Last edited:
    Reactions: GregE
    Upvote 0

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
    WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat Name
    unnamed
    The key is speed! Bow down means your driven hard into the trough and then launched at the top of the wave only to be slammed at the bottom of the wave. You want to speed up and launch off the top of wave and land on top of the next wave. Skipping across each wave. If you’re pounding, you’re going to slow.
    Now all the greenhorns keep in mind that gravity pulls us all down at 9.81m/s^2 and these pacific ocean swells are often 8 or 10 seconds apart so don't skimp on powering up your boats. You need enough power to skip to the next wave and not fall into the trough.

This week they're about 8' at 14 seconds so I reckon get going about 60 mebbe 70 knots to get that good skipping action going. The trick is not to get scared and pussy out.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat Name
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    The wind does not look bad tomorrow but it's gonna be a slow bumpy run out. I am gonna sit it out but interested to hear who's running.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Florida
    Name
    Good
    Boat Name
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Damn Jim. Your pilot house must seal up nice and tight. 😂😂😂.

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Boatless.....
    Damn Jim. Your pilot house must seal up nice and tight. 😂😂😂.
    about as tight as my A** crossing Queen Charlotte in a 40 knot blow….

Can’t see what all the knattering fuss is all about, I just looked out the “ Cali Boyz “ pilot house windshield and the Pacific looks to be wimpy…. should have been named Lake Placid….

4DD8BF38-D3BA-407B-B22F-BFC7F3EFD5E2.jpeg

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
    Jul 16, 2012
    Port orchard
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    Thursday was meh….kinda shitty, only thing to speak of was a regular size ling, nothing special

Yesterday was OK, we found some bass early and a mixed bag of ling and cabs. One large cab…no size to the lings

Today was shit city, didn’t even go out until after 3pm for a few hours of losing gear, half dozen bass and that blow was still a real pain to keep lines down

Just had a fresh fillet for dinner so that was good!

And I guess the other good thing is the number of other species that we caught lots of. We didn’t keep any of course but a couple other boats got $150 tix for being bad boys and girls

That’s how it went, nothing special. Still some fun times cracking jokes with good friends for 3 days. We were working the inside at the usual haunts. Might try again for a bit in the morning

Upvote 0