Well-Known "Member"
Aug 7, 2009
Maltby
Name
Kyle
Boat
2007 20’ Thunder Jet Luxor OB OS
48% done. Probably 2 weeks max left.

Any chance they just close coho and keep kings open? I can’t remember them ever doing that tho. I don’t understand why they didn’t Just keep coho closed till like august. Makes no sense

Also if you want to go catch undersized coho, fish area 10 right now.....

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
48% done. Probably 2 weeks max left.

Any chance they just close coho and keep kings open? I can’t remember them ever doing that tho. I don’t understand why they didn’t Just keep coho closed till like august. Makes no sense

Also if you want to go catch undersized coho, fish area 10 right now.....
Is that A4 or A5?

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
Damn that sucks. I agree it made no sense to open coho as early as they did. I bet it gets shutdown by this time next week.

Last edited:

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
For an apparent down year for coho they have been thick as ever this year...hmm.

The quicker we burn up the quota the happier the state is..then the tribe's get area 4 to themselves again. And God forbid we double up on Hali and salmon this year.

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
Area 1 is at 60% on coho, area 4 is at 50% coho and area 5 is at 75% on chinook . This is this afternoon's numbers from wdfw

danny warren

Jun 1, 2014
Name
Danny
Boat
14ft minnow,17ft Willies driftboat
Where is the game department checking all these fish from area 4. If you look at the creel reports they in no way add up.

koopa

Arima Adventures
Feb 3, 2018
Puget sound
Name
Koopa
Boat
Arima
I guess this is no surprise with everyone retaining dinky 1 or 2 pound coho, and barely legal blackmouth in area 4 and 5. Let the fish grow so we have a chance at mature kings!

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
I have been following Covid since the eye doctor publicized it last year, was jailed and died from it.

When Asia shut down and the US stopped flights from China, i waned our North of Falcon negotiators to have a covid contingency. I thought there would be huge returns of fish to Washington with reduced pressure in AK and Canada.

A lot of fish is flown to China to be processed. Small AK villages don't want outsiders. First nations have shut down northern Canadian waters to outsiders. Lots of fish are returning.

Washington had always had a mechanism shut down fishing but had failed to implement one for over abundance.

Reactions: WaveDancer

skagittarius

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2008
Snohomish, wa
Name
Joe
Boat
JoeC / 23 ft center console
So we can expect all salmon fishing in MA5 to close when the Chinook encounters guideline is met, correct?

Edit: I just received confirmation from WDFW that when Chinook closes in MA 5, it will remain open for marked coho.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugeaterInWa

skagittarius

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2008
Snohomish, wa
Name
Joe
Boat
Where is the game department checking all these fish from area 4. If you look at the creel reports they in no way add up.
Yeah, the numbers are much higher than I expected with the rez closure. I was shocked to see it reported on the latest creel report that 2,170 anglers fished in MA 4 last week. By comparison, in 2018 only 1,378 anglers fished in MA 4 the week of Jul 2-8, and 1,508 anglers fished the week of Jul 9-15 (I can't find the 2019 numbers). So a large number of boats made the run last week from Sekiu and unfortunately harvested a lot of hatchery coho in the process. Coho aren't typically inside the straights in good numbers that early, so I'm guessing a large portion of the 853 coho that were bonked last week in MA 4 came from the ocean / swiftsure, which is a good run from Sekiu.

Last edited:

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
I can never keep straight if it’s encounters or harvests. Regardless, the math is based entirely on the random guess system and not reality.

Some day we will have real-time accurate counting and real-time accurate forecasts and good-faith allocations of quotas and seasons.

skagittarius

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2008
Snohomish, wa
Name
Joe
Boat
How much longer you think MA5 will be open for chinook?
Just looking at the numbers, the chinook encounter threshold could be hit in MA 5 as soon as tomorrow. Unless pressure really dropped off this week, this looks like the last week unless they allow additional encounters. I'm a little surprised WDFW hasn't dropped the daily chinook limit to 1, but I suppose they think that won't significantly reduce encounters.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
I can never keep straight if it’s encounters or harvests. Regardless, the math is based entirely on the random guess system and not reality.

Some day we will have real-time accurate counting and real-time accurate forecasts and good-faith allocations of quotas and seasons.

Encounters. So for every shaker you say you released it goes against the quota. That's why the catch rate numbers never match. I heard a guy tell a fish checker a couple weeks ago that they released over 20 fish. Said he lost count fishing was so good....People need to learn how the system works. I bet over 50 percent of the quota is releases. Totally random guess but I bet pretty accurate.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
I have a conference call at 4pm today with WDFW and 1:15 tomorrow with the Feds. I will let you know ASAP. Cheers HD
Good luck.
Those neah numbers look way out of whack with reality. Fishing was good enough in 5 that there is no way that many people went west and only caught silvers!
Going to be over far too soon no matter what.

Reactions: Happy Daze

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
Fuuuucccck ENCOUNTERS!!!!!

I ALWAYS hook ONLY the fish that are in my fish box. ZERO extras. I am dead set that telling them any more only negatively affects us.

Until I feel like we arent getting the shaft for simply telling the truth, I've never released an extra fish in my life.

Last edited:

myott

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 11, 2011
Monroe/WA/USA
Name
Greg
Boat
Myott
Yeah, the numbers are much higher than I expected with the rez closure. I was shocked to see it reported on the latest creel report that 2,170 anglers fished in MA 4 last week. By comparison, in 2018 only 1,378 anglers fished in MA 4 the week of Jul 2-8, and 1,508 anglers fished the week of Jul 9-15 (I can't find the 2019 numbers). So a large number of boats made the run last week from Sekiu and unfortunately harvested a lot of hatchery coho in the process. Coho aren't typically inside the straights in good numbers that early, so I'm guessing a large portion of the 853 coho that were bonked last week in MA 4 came from the ocean / swiftsure, which is a good run from Sekiu.
The problem is the bait was all in the straits. No salmon on the outside, they were all on the inside with the bait. This made them easily accessible for people fishing the inside of area 4. People have a funny thing in their head that if they run to area 4, they must keep something, regardless of size, or quota consequences. Same how the feeder blackmouth were preyed upon in Area 5.

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
The problem is the bait was all in the straits. No salmon on the outside, they were all on the inside with the bait. This made them easily accessible for people fishing the inside of area 4. People have a funny thing in their head that if they run to area 4, they must keep something, regardless of size, or quota consequences. Same how the feeder blackmouth were preyed upon in Area 5.
The encounters are a bigger impact than the fish folks are keeping. Guys might as well keep small fish if they shut us down anyway. It makes no sense to have a selective fishery, mandate barbless hooks and then count encounters the same as a retained fish. We get screwed all the way around.

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
The encounters are a bigger impact than the fish folks are keeping. Guys might as well keep small fish if they shut us down anyway. It makes no sense to have a selective fishery, mandate barbless hooks and then count encounters the same as a retained fish. We get screwed all the way around.
XTRA LIKE!!!!!