Offshore Navy Almost Sink my boat with a torpedo ( Video )

PENN

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Youd be amazed at the radar they've (Raytheon)developed.
You know how a fly sees?Same principal.Google RACR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MOBass

Dec 2, 2004
Ozark
Name
Thomas
Boat
18'2", Nitro, 882DC
Yikes! It's been a long time, but I remember being on the Outer Limits at San Clemente when three rounds came in. Mind you I was next to the wheel house early in the day when the Navy confirmed they were not doing anything that day. I believe it was the Amigo was coming up the front of the island and ::whistle, sploooosh!!:: Holy crap, what was that? followed by two more. Hasty radio calls and something that amounted to an 'ooops, our bad'.

Another incident, much less scary. Fishing San Clemente on the Top Gun. F14s had been flying around all morning and we were enjoying the free air show to go with the Calicos. All of a sudden there is a deafening roar, rattle your guts loud. I look up and see the grey belly of an F14 and turn to see Bob Taft up top kinda duck. That pilot had some fun buzzing everyone along the back of the island.

Sorry for the hijack. The videos are great and much appreciated by a Southern California guy living in fly over country.

Reactions: Hardcor
Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
As a general plan, I head toward hovering helicopters thinking they've spotted something. Haven't seen any American seiners out yet, so, a hovering helicopter in US waters sounds dangerous.

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

phillyblunt

Jun 10, 2005
SD
Name
Philip
Boat
EVEN KEEL
K, stay clear of warships, subs, helicopters towing torpedo thingys, breaching whales, all un-marked black buoys and bluefin. Check got it.

Reactions: madmart38
Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
I have seem the military do a lot of stuff.. I never post the exact details because I don't want to give away how they operate to our enemies. why spy on war games when you have boaters filming for you?

btw OP that was close. glad you're not on the news

Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
The aircraft is a Navy MH-53E Sea Dragon. He is conducting AMCM (airborne mine countermeasures) training; the device he is towing is a "sled" used to detect detect/detonate mines.

Upvote 0

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
The aircraft is a Navy MH-53E Sea Dragon. He is conducting AMCM (airborne mine countermeasures) training; the device he is towing is a "sled" used to detect detect/detonate mines.
Are you Tim the fighter pilot that fishes the Excel ? This is a personal E-mail I got, what do you think ?
They were retrieving one of our training torpedo's (MK-30) doing what we call an OOTR (Open Ocean Torpedo Recovery) using a torpedo cage. We use the torpedo in training our SH-60F and MH-60R for their primary mission area of ASW
Corey

Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
They're towing sidscan mine hunting sonar. Not retrieving MK-30's. If they were dragging a MK-30 in the cage that fast someone would be pissed.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Saw 1 up close outside the 9 yesterday. Looked like a little yellow plane.
Like this : see picture its not a torpedo, it collects data for studies, it comes up to charge batteries and send data:
these things are all over the place.

mm2.JPG

Upvote 0

Headshot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
If they wanted to sink you, you would not have been able to post this video, they would have sunk you! They dont miss!

Upvote 0