Not open for further replies.

bachi

May 9, 2007
Chino
Name
Rob
Boat
seasquirt
Be careful ladies and gents. Out towards 371 there is what appears to be a black catamaran hull in the water. Impossible to see at night, one of those things that goes bump in the night. 32 28 238 / 117 28

Reactions: rdrrm8e
Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    We saw it yesterday morning. Good thing it was light out. From a distance, it looked like a killer paddy with birds on it. It's dark color. Hope it can be removed by the authorities.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    How much of it was sticking up above water?
    I was wondering if it would show up on radar....gotta keep an eye on that radar while traveling when its straight black out,you just never know.

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    How much of it was sticking up above water?
    I was wondering if it would show up on radar....gotta keep an eye on that radar while traveling when its straight black out,you just never know.
    Doubt if it would show on radar,at least MY radar. If you have a powerful enough unit,possibly.
    Never trust RADAR, it is just a backup to WATCHING your own path.

Upvote 0

TheNewSheriff

Douche hater
    Jun 6, 2007
    Long Beach
    Name
    That guy who comes to save you when you break down at sea
    Boat
    29' Crystaliner
    Doubt if it would show on radar,at least MY radar. If you have a powerful enough unit,possibly.
    Never trust RADAR, it is just a backup to WATCHING your own path.

Obviously not a licensed captain

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Thanks for the notice. You would think the Mexican navy like our coast guard would jump at the chance for target practice or maybe just no shells!!!!!! haha

Upvote 0

bachi

May 9, 2007
    Chino
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    seasquirt
    Pretty buoyant piece of hull, looked like one pontoon of a hobie cat and a quarter to half of the other. Seemed like flotation of unit is such that punching holes in it be of little effect. And no it did not show up on radar. Black of night, overcast sky, even looking your not gonna see it. CF numbers on the hull.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    CF numbers on the hull.

Just curious. Not asking you directly, just asking, maybe someone might know. If you abandon your vessel, and someone hits it, can the owner of the abounded vessle be held liable?

I know shit happens, but it seems like something could be done to make the vessel as visible as possible (big bumper, or floats at the least), or at least attempt to sink it via holes in the hull, or mark the GPS location, and hire someone to find it, and tow it in????

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    Obviously not a licensed captain
    Obviously, I've seen SHIT at night , that my radar didn't see. I'm SAFE. I keep my eyes peeled at all times.

Upvote 0

jacknpole

Aug 25, 2012
    l.beach
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    none
    why didnt anyone report this as a navigation haz to the coast gaurd .......come on guys lets not have someone find this by accident..........ch 16 us coasty this is p/vessel so/and/so BREAK lat/long reporting a nav hazard, then hang the radio up
    AND CONTINUE ONWARD

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

I know they the party boats tie bags to kelp so they're fleet can find them the next day, so why doesn't someone develop a glow in the dark bag to prevent an ugly catastrophe? Just a thought.

I also think sending it to the bottom is cheaper than towing it in, but then you've got environmental impact issues with fuel, oil and who knows what else. Keep the oceans clean.

Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    why didnt anyone report this as a navigation haz to the coast gaurd .......come on guys lets not have someone find this by accident..........ch 16 us coasty this is p/vessel so/and/so BREAK lat/long reporting a nav hazard, then hang the radio up
    AND CONTINUE ONWARD

It was in Mexican water. Coast Guard only goes south for emergency or rescue, not to clean debris.

Upvote 0

Hardcor

Hardcore
    Jun 8, 2014
    Hardcore
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Hardcore
    Boat
    Hardcore
    AND CONTINUE ONWARD
    I heard the CF number being called out many times to the Coast Guard

Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
    Apr 6, 2008
    Ventura / SB
    Name
    Eric B.
    Boat
    F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
    Saw that on Friday. Scary at night....I don't think it would have shown up on radar.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.