peterng0

Mar 3, 2012
Redlands, CA
Name
Peter
Boat
na
Short report.

Hopped on the Navegante (old Indian) out of Redondo Beach for a full day trip on Monday, 5AM - 7PM.

Was suppose to be a light load with only 16 resos but we got the the landing and it was sold out due to the recent fish counts. Pretty tight with 30+ people on board.

We made a slow chug to Santa Barbara Island and searched for BFT along the route, not much action to and from.

Weather was great but we had no current, boat went 1 for 9 on the big yellows. It was a tough bite.. I didn't get picked up at all and only had a short barracuda to show for the trip. Birds were really bad.. we may have caught more birds than fish on this trip 🤣.

It was tangles galore on the stern with concrete footed people. The days of fishing numbers is over, but I guess they didn't get the memo!

Better luck next time I suppose. Great captain, crew, & food. I'll be back on it for a 3 day in September.

Thanks for reading!

Peter

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
I never understood the whole deal with signed number slots. What in the world is that all about???

P
peterng0
Pretty old school, I remember seeing it when I first started salt water fishing on the Western Pride in Newport. You were assigned a # and were required to fish it for the trip and I think they would shift to the right every so often..
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Short report.

Hopped on the Navegante (old Indian) out of Redondo Beach for a full day trip on Monday, 5AM - 7PM.

Was suppose to be a light load with only 16 resos but we got the the landing and it was sold out due to the recent fish counts. Pretty tight with 30+ people on board.

We made a slow chug to Santa Barbara Island and searched for BFT along the route, not much action to and from.

Weather was great but we had no current, boat went 1 for 9 on the big yellows. It was a tough bite.. I didn't get picked up at all and only had a short barracuda to show for the trip. Birds were really bad.. we may have caught more birds than fish on this trip 🤣.

It was tangles galore on the stern with concrete footed people. The days of fishing numbers is over, but I guess they didn't get the memo!

Better luck next time I suppose. Great captain, crew, & food. I'll be back on it for a 3 day in September.

Thanks for reading!

Peter
I used to Charter the Indian , and I held it to 22 max load,
and that was perfect, and comfortable, doing the shuffle.

P
peterng0
Yeah 22 would have been perfect or 18 since there's only 18 bunks set aside for fisherman.. the 3 day I will be is limited to 18 so that will be much better.

If people only did the shuffle yesterday it would have been SOO much better.. we can only ask people to take a step to the left or right so many times before it gets annoying..
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
Back as far as the early 90s and 80s they used to assign a colored number that corresponded with each little groove/knotch in the wood rail. Throughout the day, the captain would come out of the wheel house and yell "ROTATE!"
Then the entire customer hoard would shuffle right and stand at the next color under their assigned number.
There would always be that guy that wouldn't move too. I watched many arguments and "kerfuffles" break out back in those days. I watched my 300 lb dad belly bounce a guy that didn't move right after pops said aloud twice "rotate!"
Lol...the good old days.
No more gladiator fishing for me..
Only Charters with limited loads or my own boat.
When people grow roots into the deck through their feet, I feel it should be the job of the crew to keep people following their lines, following their fish.
"Take two steps right everyone" yelled by a member of the crew are the rules for success of the counts. When a customer yells it, it's a guy complaining....right?
While I'm sure the crew did a fantastic job, they more often than not do, seems they missed this little tidbit. Had they known it was an issue to their paying customers a highly assertive crew member would have mentioned something and possibly put a few extra bucks in tips in his pocket. It's the little attention to details that makes it that much better..
Thanks for sharing your report

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Once on this boat as Indian, 3 friends and i and 18 firemen from Arizona..all with rail bracket rent rods for Rockfish...headed for the Finger Bank.
    The tangles were many with the firemen with
    beer in 1 hand, rod in other on the rail. Most snagged on the bottom. LOL Since Cub Scouts=
    BE PREPARED..so we 3 all had a jig rig ready for yellows or ????. Sure enough I spot boils off the stern, and a school of 7-10lb bonito ripped our jigs. Yelling COMING DOWN, COMING DOWN...didn't work...the firemen all dazed
    with the HUH???? Look on their faces. Clueless. We ended up passing our rods up top to Chris who lowered to a deckhand around from the bow. We landed 3, then a fireman got bit w/Bonito
    winding up his gannion rig...TANGLES?
    ALL TIME TANGLES! Maybe worst in History. LOL
    Could not imagine same hooking yellows with 30 your trip. LOL

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Back as far as the early 90s and 80s they used to assign a colored number that corresponded with each little groove/knotch in the wood rail. Throughout the day, the captain would come out of the wheel house and yell "ROTATE!"
    Then the entire customer hoard would shuffle right and stand at the next color under their assigned number.
    There would always be that guy that wouldn't move too. I watched many arguments and "kerfuffles" break out back in those days. I watched my 300 lb dad belly bounce a guy that didn't move right after pops said aloud twice "rotate!"
    Lol...the good old days.
    No more gladiator fishing for me..
    Only Charters with limited loads or my own boat.
    When people grow roots into the deck through their feet, I feel it should be the job of the crew to keep people following their lines, following their fish.
    "Take two steps right everyone" yelled by a member of the crew are the rules for success of the counts. When a customer yells it, it's a guy complaining....right?
    While I'm sure the crew did a fantastic job, they more often than not do, seems they missed this little tidbit. Had they known it was an issue to their paying customers a highly assertive crew member would have mentioned something and possibly put a few extra bucks in tips in his pocket. It's the little attention to details that makes it that much better..
    Thanks for sharing your report
    AMEN...those rotate days I left many many years ago. LOL

Reactions: splashy77
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    That would be classic to have assigned numbers on the boat and your required to fish them in a tuna bite, :rofl:.. I would pay to see that, having lines going under the boat when your drifting in a tuna bite, And then that gets bit,:shake:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    That would be classic to have assigned numbers on the boat and your required to fish them in a tuna bite, :rofl:.. I would pay to see that, having lines going under the boat when your drifting in a tuna bite,
    Made me wonder how the hell a guy caught a 130lb Bluefin on 1/2 Day Western Pride the other day with looked like a full load Some Feat. Winders at rail #'s. Lord Have Mercy LOL LOL

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
    May 8, 2008
    Dana Point CA
    Name
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat
    1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
    Numbers and rotating worked fine for wide open sand bass fishing at the flats. Paddy hopping and offshore tuna not so much.

Upvote 0

YNOTMI

Apr 24, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    N/A
    Short report.

Thanks for reading!

Peter
    I went on Wednesday the 8th and we had 36 people plus the crew. You pretty much summed up the trip.

Upvote 0