Offshore Navegante 3 Day Report 09/20 - 09/22

peterng0

Mar 3, 2012
Redlands, CA
Name
Peter
Boat
na
Got back from our 2nd annual 3-day charter yesterday on the Navegante out of Redondo. Really great group of fish killers & fantastic crew as usual to boast.

Key to this trip was light line and small hooks (Size 1 or 2 ringed circles).

Our plan was to hit up Tanner Bank to join the fleet to target BFT. We took our time leaving Sunday night (I think we left around midnight) as it would be a bumpy ride out and would improve by Monday evening. We loaded up with a lot of really nicely cured sardines. I didn't take many pictures this trip as I left my phone in my bunk and was struggling to get bit the first day.

Monday: We started bright and early and our first bite was a little BFT on the spreader bar that one of the guys on board had set up. Eventually we found some BFT that wanted to bite with 2-3 hanging every time. They were really finicky so I dropped down to 20# fluorocarbon and a size 2 ringed circle hook. I got bit, but they would just chew me off.. that happened a lot.. pretty frustrating and I was getting really discouraged. I think I ended up hooking 2 or 3 on Monday and lost all of them.

Monday Night: Flat fall time! This is my first year trying out the flat fall fishing thing and it was fun, but exhausting. I was set up with my SS 2X4 & a Saltiga 60ii spooled with 150# braid. Fished a LB Fishing Supplies 500g knife jig that I rigged up with a 200# leader. Captain marked fish around 180 FT so I dropped down to that range. I pre-marked my line every 50 FT but since it was my first time doing this, I made a huge mistake.. I didn't make the marks long enough.. Line was coming off the reel so fast and it was dark so it was hard to keep track of how much line I was letting out. Had to pay close attention to my reel to make sure I was getting to the right zone.

Lost count of how many times I dropped that jig up and down but eventually I got bit. I have never felt such a violent strike before, the rod instantly loaded up so I wound down to drive those hooks in deeper. I fought this fish for about 10 minutes or so on the bow and it was just ripping drag off my reel so I put the rod down and started to wind on it. I should have kept the rod on the rail but it being my first time on a larger tuna, I picked up the rod and started to lift & wind.. Long story short, I had about 100 FT of line left to retrieve and I pulled the hooks on it 😭.

100% sure this would have been my PB BFT.

I keep rethinking the fight in my head and there were things I should have done differently or should have checked or everything was good and the fish just wasn't hooked that well..

1. Drags - maybe had it too tight, I preset it at home for 25-28#
2. Lifting/Pumping rod - should have just cranked in and not lifted the rod

1632421759493.png
1632436419128.png

Jig got bit pretty good, left some teeth marks. Hot ticket seemed to be the Katy Perry knife jig I've been reading about.. I had another chance later that night around 2 AM on the same jig. Got a bump and I wound down hard on it. Was able hang it for a few seconds but the hooks didn't stick. It just wasn't meant to be.. Called it a night around 3:30 AM, I was delirious by then, captain would call out the fathoms and I couldn't do the math in my head anymore to convert to FT. And those marks I made in my line, yeah.. those got even harder to see as the night went on.. (gonna do like 12" marks and maybe different colors for next year).

I forgot how many we boated but there were some big fish in the mix, 80# - 180#? I think the report is on 976-tuna.

Tuesday: Woke up early, ate breakfast and went back at it. This time I went to 25# fluorocarbon and they still bit it and I had a better chance of landing them. First fish of the day for me was a nice YT followed by more break offs, not as much as Monday but still some. I struggled after catching the YT and resorted to taking a hand off to get the bluefin skunk off. Landed that one and it seemed to work since I was able to get bit more often. Tuesday was probably the best day for me as I was able to land my fish instead of farming them. No big ones for me, just school size 30-35# fish but they were fun to catch. Same as Monday, we were able to have 2-3 hanging throughout the day for some pretty steady fishing. Once current died down it was a slow pick. I ended up getting 4 BFT & 1 YT so that made up for my fails on Monday. We were on a really steady bite and with all the big fish from Monday night, fish hold was getting really full.. like too full.. and we had another day left..

Tuesday Night: Flat fall time again. Different conditions, wind picked up and current was ripping. Couple guys tried for a few hours and we could not connect. I think we had 1 hook up but pulled the hooks. With the wind and current, lines were just scoped out way too far to be in the zone. I believe we fished till 2 AM and ended up calling it quits. With the fish hold pretty much full, the captain & charter master decided to call it a trip and head home early. The plan was to end the trip filling bags with cod but there was just no room for us to do that.

Wednesday: We get back to the docks around 8AM and start gathering our things & unloading while crew works on getting all the fish off. I didn't mind getting back early at all, had plenty of fish and gives me a full day to unwind and vacuum seal some fish.

Overall it was a great trip and I can't wait to do it again next year. I'll be more prepared next year and will hopefully join the triple digit club.

1632422821434.png
1632422840137.png

Thanks for reading!

Peter

Last edited:

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    After you get some more experience, you will really appreciate how much better overall those nice 30 to 35 pounders are than the really big ones. I would much rather have a trip with three 35s than a 100 or bigger. But I understand, when I was your age I was all about fighting with monsters too. Thanks for a great write-up.

Upvote 0

Sciaenops

Nov 23, 2005
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Keith
    Boat
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    Similar experience on Monday for me. Went 0 for 3, pulled hook (#1 Gama circle, no ring) on 1st using 30#; bit off same hook on 2nd (should have retied); bit thru 40# fluoro on 3rd fishing a ringed j-hook. Not my day for catchin. Gotta try ringed circles next time.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Nice job! You’ll get the big one next time. Still sounds like a great trip.

I think you just got unlucky with pulled hooks, not much you can do about that. I don’t think your drag was too heavy. I fish a heavy drag (30+ lbs) while vertical jigging and landed a 140 lb. fish a couple days ago in about 15 minutes and had another one at color that got sawed off in a tangle. My jigs were rigged with 6/0 assist hooks. Bigger hooks means less chance of a pulled hook.

The system I use for marking my braid works well for me. I make marks with a Sharpie that are about 12 inches long. One black mark for 100 feet, two black marks with a 12 inch gap between them for 200 feet, etc. I also mark 50 foot increments with a red Sharpie. So 1 black mark 1 red mark is 150. 2 black 1 red is 250… after a few drops, I learned what each of the depth marks looked like while the line was still on the spool so I could count by watching them disappear off the spool. I marked my line out to 400 feet and my first hookup was right as I started cranking back in after passing the 400 foot mark.

P
    peterng0
    This jig came pre-rigged with some massive hooks with ball bearing swivels. One of the more veteran anglers told me that the swivels would mess me up, not sure how true that is?I couldn't attached a photo of it here so I added it to the original response..

I'll have to mark my line as you mentioned, sounds like a good system!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

guss

Jul 8, 2014
    Culver City
    Name
    Gus
    Boat
    None
    Got back from our 2nd annual 3-day charter yesterday on the Navegante out of Redondo. Really great group of fish killers & fantastic crew as usual to boast.

Key to this trip was light line and small hooks (Size 1 or 2 ringed circles).

Our plan was to hit up Tanner Bank to join the fleet to target BFT. We took our time leaving Sunday night (I think we left around midnight) as it would be a bumpy ride out and would improve by Monday evening. We loaded up with a lot of really nicely cured sardines. I didn't take many pictures this trip as I left my phone in my bunk and was struggling to get bit the first day.

Monday: We started bright and early and our first bite was a little BFT on the spreader bar that one of the guys on board had set up. Eventually we found some BFT that wanted to bite with 2-3 hanging every time. They were really finicky so I dropped down to 20# fluorocarbon and a size 2 ringed circle hook. I got bit, but they would just chew me off.. that happened a lot.. pretty frustrating and I was getting really discouraged. I think I ended up hooking 2 or 3 on Monday and lost all of them.

Monday Night: Flat fall time! This is my first year trying out the flat fall fishing thing and it was fun, but exhausting. I was set up with my SS 2X4 & a Saltiga 60ii spooled with 150# braid. Fished a LB Fishing Supplies 500g knife jig that I rigged up with a 200# leader. Captain marked fish around 180 FT so I dropped down to that range. I pre-marked my line every 50 FT but since it was my first time doing this, I made a huge mistake.. I didn't make the marks long enough.. Line was coming off the reel so fast and it was dark so it was hard to keep track of how much line I was letting out. Had to pay close attention to my reel to make sure I was getting to the right zone.

Lost count of how many times I dropped that jig up and down but eventually I got bit. I have never felt such a violent strike before, the rod instantly loaded up so I wound down to drive those hooks in deeper. I fought this fish for about 10 minutes or so on the bow and it was just ripping drag off my reel so I put the rod down and started to wind on it. I should have kept the rod on the rail but it being my first time on a larger tuna, I picked up the rod and started to lift & wind.. Long story short, I had about 100 FT of line left and I pulled the hooks on it 😭. 100% sure this would have been my PB BFT.

I keep rethinking the fight in my head and there were things I should have done differently or should have checked or everything was good and the fish just wasn't hooked that well..

1. Drags - maybe had it too tight, I preset it at home for 25-28#
    2. Lifting/Pumping rod - should have just cranked in and not lifted the rod

View attachment 1321017 View attachment 1321100

Jig got bit pretty good, left some teeth marks. Hot ticket seemed to be the Katy Perry knife jig I've been reading about.. I had another chance later that night around 2 AM on the same jig. Got a bump and I wound down hard on it. Was able hang it for a few seconds but the hooks didn't stick. It just wasn't meant to be.. Called it a night around 3:30 AM, I was delirious by then, captain would call out the fathoms and I couldn't do the math in my head anymore to convert to FT. And those marks I made in my line, yeah.. those got even harder to see as the night went on.. (gonna do like 12" marks and maybe different colors for next year).

I forgot how many we boated but there were some big fish in the mix, 80# - 180#? I think the report is on 976-tuna.

Tuesday: Woke up early, ate breakfast and went back at it. This time I went to 25# fluorocarbon and they still bit it and I had a better chance of landing them. First fish of the day for me was a nice YT followed by more break offs, not as much as Monday but still some. I struggled after catching the YT and resorted to taking a hand off to get the bluefin skunk off. Landed that one and it seemed to work since I was able to get bit more often. Tuesday was probably the best day for me as I was able to land my fish instead of farming them. No big ones for me, just school size 30-35# fish but they were fun to catch. Same as Monday, we were able to have 2-3 hanging throughout the day for some pretty steady fishing. Once current died down it was a slow pick. I ended up getting 4 BFT & 1 YT so that made up for my fails on Monday. We were on a really steady bite and with all the big fish from Monday night, fish hold was getting really full.. like too full.. and we had another day left..

Tuesday Night: Flat fall time again. Different conditions, wind picked up and current was ripping. Couple guys tried for a few hours and we could not connect. I think we had 1 hook up but pulled the hooks. With the wind and current, lines were just scoped out way too far to be in the zone. I believe we fished till 2 AM and ended up calling it quits. With the fish hold pretty much full, the captain & charter master decided to call it a trip and head home early. The plan was to end the trip filling bags with cod but there was just no room for us to do that.

Wednesday: We get back to the docks around 8AM and start gathering our things & unloading while crew works on getting all the fish off. I didn't mind getting back early at all, had plenty of fish and gives me a full day to unwind and vacuum seal some fish.

Overall it was a great trip and I can't wait to do it again next year. I'll be more prepared next year and will hopefully join the triple digit club.

View attachment 1321019 View attachment 1321020

Thanks for reading!

Peter
    Excellent informative report.

Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    Agree with what has been said, not the drag fish unbutton for things we can’t control As far as the chew through all I can say is they have big mouths and swim fast the first hint of bite put in gear don’t lift your rod and turn the turner, you want the circle to do its job and eliminate teeth. I come from an era of swinging on bites and truly miss it but then if you swang early with tight line the J hook would bury in corner of mouth also. Wait to long do some mental BS count down, set the hook in roof of mouth and just waiting and pulling for the chew to part line

Upvote 0

Rmpsocal

Almost A Member
    Jan 12, 2016
    San Pedro
    Name
    Rich P.
    Boat
    None
    Peter, a suggestion for metering your line. Tie a 7-turn nail knot with 30# or 40# braid over the top of each of your marks on your line. You can feel it go through your fingers as you drop your jig, even in the dark! I got two bites on my last trip fishing the bow in complete darkness!

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    Great trip nevertheless. You only learn on the water in the trenches. We all went through hard breaks. One thing I learned is never pump on the fish , keep the rod loaded and bent all the time, if you don’t have a rail rod, by all means buy or barrow one , you need it .
    Good luck next time

P
    peterng0
    I learned the hard way this trip. I know not to pump/lift the rod but I think i just panicked.. better luck next time
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Curtis2222

Jul 4, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    NA
    Did you notice if during the night bite, only glow jigs got bit? You mention Katie pary but I don’t believe they glow.

OnoEric
    OnoEric
    My trip was the same. Color, glow, or no glow made zero difference. I don’t know how bluefin see a metal jig 400 feet deep in the pitch black, but they do. Or maybe they feel the change in water pressure or hear the jig moving through the water as is goes by them. Who knows? All I know is the heavy 400g or heavier jigs got the most bites for the boat.
    Upvote 0
    P
    peterng0
    The non-glow ones seemed to get bit better than glow on thud trip.
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    I mark my braid much like OnoEric, twelve inches of black sharpie ink at 100 feet then two such stripes with about eight inches between them at 200 feet. I tried using different colors, but my eyes can't see the colors well at night, same with different colored line itself. But a couple of big obvious marks is really all you need to know when you are getting down deep enough.

And most of my deep-drop jigs have multiple swiveled hooks. I have not found the swivels to hurt the hookup or fight.

P
    peterng0
    I marked another reel with white braid different colors and now my line looks like a rainbow.. colors all ran haha. Defs gonna do longer marks or tie nail knots on it like rmpsocal suggested.

Good to know about the swivels on the jigs, that guy was getting in my head about it
    Upvote 0
    OnoEric
    OnoEric
    @peterng0 yes, that’s one thing I forgot to mention. The first time I marked braid with Sharpie, it bled all over the place. The 2nd time I did it, I ran the line through a paper towel until it didn’t transfer any ink to the towel and that stopped the bleeding.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1802 Trophy WA
    Excellent report. The beauty of going on these fishing trips is the potential to learn something every trip, and (hopefully) be better the next time out.

Curious as to why you went with 150lb braid? 150lb braid will drastically shrink your line capacity, which is likely the reason you came close to being spooled. Before you start marking your braid I would really consider swapping to 100lb braid. 150lb is a little excessive imo, 100lb braid on a straight pull is stupid strong.

P
    peterng0
    I won the reel in a raffle and it was already spooled with the 150# braid. Didn't get close to getting spooled on it. Might have misread what I posted, I pulled the hooks with 100' left to reel in 🥺.
    Upvote 0
    Mark C.
    Mark C.
    My mistake. Dang! That’s tough. Been there before. It happens man, those are the ones that keep you coming back for more. I see redemption in your future…
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Curtis2222

Jul 4, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    NA
    Did you notice if during the night bite, only glow jigs got bit? You mention Katie pary but I don’t believe they glow.
    I picked up a few 500g Non glow rip rollers since glow are IMPOSSIBLE to find. Fingers crossed!

P
    peterng0
    Nice find! I was looking for jigs even though I have no up coming trips and they're impossible to find. Must be a fisherman thing, if I can't fish, I'll buy fishing related stuff. Good luck on your trip, post up a report once you get back!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Curtis2222 -- You may not know this, but you can buy industrial strength glow in the dark tape for very little money. Thirty feet of one inch tape is only about $10. This is the safety tape that buildings put onto walls and floors to guide people during a power outage, and it is very strong in sticking. I put a finger's length strip onto each side of my deep-drop jigs, even it if starts out with glow paint, because the tape is BRIGHT if you hold it for a few seconds up to a UV light. And the small UV flashlights are also inexpensive. As the lure wobbles down and spins back up, you are pulsing flashes of light at the tuna, just like real squid pulse their light.

Reactions: Abusaade
    Upvote 0