Fishing = Self-Medication
Feb 28, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Paul
Boat Name
Boat free, since July 2014.
IMG_20220322_100916273_HDR.jpg

A cold foggy morning turned into t-shirt fishing weather at Catalina, with water temps up to 62 degrees. A little over 20 anglers and the captain moved us as needed to find fish. Fly-lining sardines, throwing small jigs, and some shallow water rock-fishing close to shore in the morning, we worked our way around the east end for some drifts in 250' - 300' for rockfish, then made a long run back to our morning spot for a nice flurry of bonito. My first five fish were all different species: bonito, sheepshead, blue perch, calico, and salmon grouper. At the last stop, four more bonito. Captain, crew, weather, company, and fishing were all good, especially for March.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2021
SouthOC
Name
Steve
Boat Name
NONE
Looks like a great day to be at Cat! Thanks for sharing.

Captain, crew, weather, company, and fishing were all good, especially for March.
Yep - captain and crew can be especially difficult in March. Glad they were cooperating! :boobies:

Reactions: Fishmeluck
Fishmeluck
Fishmeluck
The captain said he would've have killed for day like we had, in June last year 😆
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Great Job! How big were the bonito? (Asking for a friend!) Guessing less than 24" fork length? Any biggies?

Fishmeluck
    Fishmeluck
    The jackpot went to a bonito caught in the last five minutes and boated just as the captain revved it up to head home. About 7 lb was my guess. Most were half that size.
    Upvote 0
    S
    ShadowX
    It never fails. All that chum gets washed out under the boat when the engine revs up and the bonito goes into a frenzy. They have been trained to know when the engine noise starts up, it means dinner time.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0