Names from the Past Early 80's Who do you remember?

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Capt Drew Henderson Polaris Supreme. Best 5day fishing in my life. Tuna BFT, YFT, Yellowtail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I've known Jeff since the days he Worked on the City of Redondo in the late 70's/ early 80's. He is one hell of a fisherman and a Great Guy.

Rug for bug at the 70 house party's. I was told :D

(lobster)

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
Shogun overnite from LA Harbor $45
Norm, Ted, Johnny, Jayson, Mason, Monte....this was from a 5 dayer from San Pedro....82' or so...$595

FB_IMG_1606921071320.jpg

FB_IMG_1606921060560.jpg

FB_IMG_1606921051325.jpg

FB_IMG_1606921038922.jpg

20200413_101913.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Who remembers the name of the old man with a bad leg who worked the Lbbc barge before Nacho ?

Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
That's before the 80's, He owned 22nd street Landing in the in the 70's. Paulas and Neil were (owner/Operators) running the Sharpshooter in San Pedro and Redondo in the 80's.
In the 1960s it was called Skippers Twenty Second Street Landing because 3 skippers own it. Frank Hall was one of them. Before that it was call Joe Martin’s Twenty Second Street Landing back in the 1950s.

Sucks to be old enough to remember this stuff!

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    In the 1960s it was called Skippers Twenty Second Street Landing because 3 skippers own it. Frank Hall was one of them. Before that it was call Joe Martin’s Twenty Second Street Landing back in the 1950s.

Sucks to be old enough to remember this stuff!
    I'm not to far behind you,:food-smiley-014:,:cheers:

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Fisherman's headquarters Encinitas, 80s. Parent ride. Fishing crawlers on 2# in golf courses. Only tackle shop in the area and the owner was nice with me and showed me scared squid 6x Jr first time in. Seems that bobs bait and tackle opened up down the road. Which split the pizza into 2. And both went out of business.

I'm not sure who the owner was but that's where I got all my 1st gear. Curly hair.

Reactions: Mtnfshr
    Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    Polly's restaurant on the Redondo pier. Great Burgers, great breakfasts. Back when the sportboats loaded and unloaded on the pier.

Pat Conklin captain of the Reel Special out of Redondo. (And earlier than that, he was a deckhand on the Pursuit also out of Redondo.) I think he may have run the boat that ran back and forth between the pier and the barge, but that was in the early 70s I think.)

[Yeah, when I had money, I fished out of Redondo quite a bit. Problem was, I often didn't have money. LOL]

Reactions: beavisjohn
    Upvote 0

Donald Miller

Oct 18, 2019
    Santa barbara
    Name
    Donald miller
    Boat
    Maritime consultabts
    Vince Otani - Deckhand Shogun
    Si Fuki (sp) - Deckhand Shogun
    Norm Kagawa - Captain Shogun
    Brett McGee - Deckhand Pronto
    Brian Walker - Captain Freedom
    Nick Cates - Captain New Lo An
    Charles Fields - Deckhand Q105
    Is Norm Kagawa still around? I was trying to see if I could look at his old picture book when the shogun was built

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    He has aged a lot in the past 6 years. I have pictures with my son fishing on the Indy and he was running it. You see the above pic and compare it with the one with my Son and Jeff and you probably wouldn't even knew it was Jeff. I've known Jeff since the days he Worked on the City of Redondo in the late 70's/ early 80's. He is one hell of a fisherman and a Great Guy.
    You grow up in Redondo? If so no doubt we crossed paths many times in the 70s.

Jim Hall on the Sunbeam, Strong, then Jim running the bait barge. Hap Jacobs running the Shell Fuel dock. Dewey Weber in his inflatable. Henry Galley the Thresher king.

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Gene Newell, salesman at Midway Bait & Tackle, San Diego
    Roger C. Bullock, fishing dept. manager at United Sporting Goods, North Hollywood
    Bob Bianco, owner, Bianco Custom Rods, San Diego
    Dennis Bunker, owner, Bunker's Tackle in Burbank [his widow Dawn still owns Smoooth Drag, the company he bought for her]
    Dawn is my neighbor!

Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
    Apr 3, 2007
    Lane Vicky
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    John Dipley who sank the Queen of the Sea then captained the Grande 22nd street.
    Norris Tap on the Thunderbird who told stories of being called "gaff" because the kooks thought that was his name due to him running up to swing a fish over the rail every time someone yelled "gaff!"
    Whitey- the squirelly fellow that frequented the 22nd st boats and 9 times out of ten won the JP's.
    Donnie Brockman, Freelance.
    Bill the cook on the Freelance and deckhand Craig.
    Charlie Davis on the Honker
    Capt Brian Simms from the Q 105 or Red Rooster days..

Reactions: moorefish
    Upvote 0

moorefish

Jan 1, 2004
    SoCal
    Name
    MN
    Boat
    Any
    Ray (don't recall last name) on the Clemente out of Dana Wharf (started in a small trailer for an office) back in the early 70's. Cooked up an amazing burger and put us on fish!

Upvote 0