Names from the Past Early 80's Who do you remember?

jimm

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 31, 2003
North San Diego County
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
Vince Otani - Deckhand Shogun
Si Fuki (sp) - Deckhand Shogun
Norm Kagawa - Captain Shogun
Brett McGee - Deckhand Pronto
Brian Walker - Captain Freedom
Nick Cates - Captain New Lo An
Charles Fields - Deckhand Q105

Reactions: woodfish330

Smitty44

Dec 30, 2017
garden grove
Name
John
Boat
none
Clancey deckhand Vagabond, Cook Ray Ray Vagabond& Pacific Queen, Marris cook deckhand H&M and Pt Loma boats,Sign in lady Linda from the Prowler, and Bety from the New Lo Ann, Mike Mohnohan Vagabond. Does anybody remember these people?
It must be one of your "remembering days" huh, Richard? Grab a cold corona why don't ya......Its a messed up world!

Reactions: richardblufin

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Mike the pirate Jewett Big Game 90 this guy can put you on the fish and the kids loved going up into the bridge and steer the boat

Reactions: Hustler

monkutare

Apr 2, 2003
temecula
Visit site
Name
Boat
blackman billfisher 26
Vince Otani - Deckhand Shogun
Si Fuki (sp) - Deckhand Shogun
Brett McGee - Deckhand Pronto
Brian Walker - Captain Freedom
Nick Cates - Captain New Lo An
Charles Fields - Deckhand Q105
Did you charter the Pronto back in the day, the first year Alan bought it with Mike Diamond?

Reactions: woodfish330

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Jeff Debuys
Is the real deal. Super humble his name should be way bigger. If I could hand pick my next trip. I would choose Jeff driving. Beach style and goes to show the internet. I thought he was more jock style which is fine. Really enjoy his vibe and taught me some tricks

Last year
FB_IMG_1590010275780.jpg

Reactions: Hustler

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Hawkeye. Stoked I got a few trips in with him driving and you fishing. Drove over then pioneered Collonet. Those 3 day winter specials sure were fun

He found my avatar. And put the 5th gaff in what was once the new shogun boat record. On the giant greenie

Reactions: solid72

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Is the real deal. Super humble his name should be way bigger. If I could hand pick my next trip. I would choose Jeff driving. Beach style and goes to show the internet. I thought he was more jock style which is fine. Really enjoy his vibe and taught me some tricks

Last year
View attachment 1228937
He has aged a lot in the past 6 years. I have pictures with my son fishing on the Indy and he was running it. You see the above pic and compare it with the one with my Son and Jeff and you probably wouldn't even knew it was Jeff. I've known Jeff since the days he Worked on the City of Redondo in the late 70's/ early 80's. He is one hell of a fisherman and a Great Guy.

monkutare

Apr 2, 2003
temecula
Visit site
Name
Boat
blackman billfisher 26
I did charter the boat but all starting around 1986. Epic trips with Alan and Brett! I acutally worked with alan in 1988.
My FIL had charters every other Fri in the summer/fall from the late 70’s to around the time you were there. There was a guy named Mel from the Longfin that helped with the Fri charters for awhile. I think Mark was on the deck around that time in the late 80’s

Mtnfshr

Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
Bill Poole, made friends with his son Randy in the early 80's and met Bill a couple years later , he was a quite a guy... one of the true sportfishing legends.

I fished with Bill and Randy on the Cape Polaris. It was the boat's 1st run and we hit Guadalupe. Pre-YFT era. Heck, it was before the BFT were being caught at the south end in Tuna Alley. I fished it again a year or two later on a 10 day. Damn chubasco made a run to Alijos impossible.

jimm

Jul 31, 2003
North San Diego County
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
My FIL had charters every other Fri in the summer/fall from the late 70’s to around the time you were there. There was a guy named Mel from the Longfin that helped with the Fri charters for awhile. I think Mark was on the deck around that time in the late 80’s
I remember the Longfin group. Good bunch of guys. Mark did work on the boat along with John Barrett in that time frame.

PL_Fisherman

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
Yes he was. That was the 70's though. IF...I recall accurately. :cool:
Pineapple as in Dave D.? He still runs the DD from time to time. Can’t think of anyone else named Dave still around.

Mike Gaskins from the AA and DD way back when, he used to work on it when Fred Huber was still a deckhand on it.