Bubsalsa

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2014
La Jolla, Ca
Name
Bubsalsa
Boat
20' Skipjack Flybrige
Headed out with a fever of sorts.. probably the flu, boat partner and brother wanted to get some water time in so we left around 3 planning to hit La Jolla for maybe a bass or two. As soon as we poked our head out, we figured we may as well go for the islands given it was nice enough weather to run the Ol’ Betty to the islands on a hunch That it may provide. Get down there to find mixed red tide and green water swirling at pukey and started throwing Jigs. My partner nailed one yellow on an iron at pukey only to be grabbed by a seal and recovered with minimal scars. No more love so went on the troll to south end by keyhole on weather side and hooked another on mack x-rap, immediately threw a jig with my partner. Both hook up, triple hook up and throw another jig and throw it in the holder, we got four and bring em all in.
2 Six pack charter crews on Parker’s pull up within casting distance and can’t convert or poach our school. After we boated the fish, ended up with total of 5 (12-18#) grade yellows on jigs/rapalas. Headed home with glowing wakes, flat seas, and fish for our families.

We put in the time and converted. Please don’t follow boats and learn to read the ocean as the season begins. Read the water, take a chance, and do your research.

Sorry to the charter guys who people pay thousands to catch fish, please don’t follow
us... maybe next time.

-Ol’ Betty out

20EB70F2-E75C-4521-A8F2-B86C58F3C660.jpeg

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
I hate kooks! Good catch!

DEAGEA

Jul 16, 2017
California
Name
Dan
Boat
Moby1
Nice report...we fished the Nado's on Sunday and much of the same. red tide everywhere but found some clear water around the southeast side, slow trolled with multiple hook-ups of 18-20 lb yellows. Moved over the the N island and dragged rapalas in the backwash back and forth which proved productive. The yellows are there so go get 'em. Wanted to see them surface but they never came up that day. tight lines everyone!

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Do you guys just carry part time Visas when you go out? Or how do you approach the whole process? And the biosphere bands?

Good to hear there's fish down there.

Reactions: Laukia

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
"Do you guys just carry part time Visas when you go out? Or how do you approach the whole process? And the biosphere bands?"

Ya........I was wondering about that as well. Likewise on the 2 six pack charter crews. How the fuck does that work?

Bubsalsa

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2014
La Jolla, Ca
Name
Bubsalsa
Boat
20' Skipjack Flybrige
Have no clue on the 6 pack charter crews we saw (they had FG numbers I believe) but we took Mexi/American Licenses, I have the 10 year importation papers and a Mexican passport(given my dad was born there luckily) but Didn’t see navy or more than five boats all day. Sorry I can’t provide more color.

I have been stopped once in the past and dropped my Mexi passport, spoke Spanish to them and all they said was “buena suerte” and went on to the 80 other boats or so fishing the islands. Probably won’t help but I think there’s a link with everything you need somewhere on here.

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
"Do you guys just carry part time Visas when you go out? Or how do you approach the whole process? And the biosphere bands?"

Ya........I was wondering about that as well. Likewise on the 2 six pack charter crews. How the fuck does that work?
I think what the case was there was few boats down there with F&G numbers doing crew trips. Not carrying passengers, even though some may be.

I bet the Mexican passport is the trick. That's a good thing to have.
Thanks for the report and feedback.

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
So I guess the boat partner and brother also have Mexican passports and also live in the same family household at the same address? Pretty convenient. FG numbers are commercial licensed vessels that can fish for FISH (not charters) but NOT in Mexico.

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
So I guess the boat partner and brother also have Mexican passports and also live in the same family household at the same address? Pretty convenient. FG numbers are commercial licensed vessels that can fish for FISH (not charters) but NOT in Mexico.
Oh I agree.
I have F&G numbers, I can leave the dock with my family members or if my crew is also commercially licensed and fish in Mexico just fine as long as we have all the permits (FFM, Bio-stuff, TIP). I just can't sell anything I catch and what I catch is limited to the same as any other private boat fishing there.

Reactions: Laukia

Thor Lars Laizans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 11, 2018
Capo Beach
Name
⚓
Boat
Row boat
Headed out with a fever of sorts.. probably the flu, boat partner and brother wanted to get some water time in so we left around 3 planning to hit La Jolla for maybe a bass or two. As soon as we poked our head out, we figured we may as well go for the islands given it was nice enough weather to run the Ol’ Betty to the islands on a hunch That it may provide. Get down there to find mixed red tide and green water swirling at pukey and started throwing Jigs. My partner nailed one yellow on an iron at pukey only to be grabbed by a seal and recovered with minimal scars. No more love so went on the troll to south end by keyhole on weather side and hooked another on mack x-rap, immediately threw a jig with my partner. Both hook up, triple hook up and throw another jig and throw it in the holder, we got four and bring em all in.
2 Six pack charter crews on Parker’s pull up within casting distance and can’t convert or poach our school. After we boated the fish, ended up with total of 5 (12-18#) grade yellows on jigs/rapalas. Headed home with glowing wakes, flat seas, and fish for our families.

We put in the time and converted. Please don’t follow boats and learn to read the ocean as the season begins. Read the water, take a chance, and do your research.

Sorry to the charter guys who people pay thousands to catch fish, please don’t follow
us... maybe next time.

-Ol’ Betty out

View attachment 1141733
OUTSTANDING!!!

can

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 10, 2010
Chatsworth
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Itching to go fish. Thanks for the report.
5 fish that size is :cheers: