Nados, Yellos, beached boat and an IMPORTANT LESSON

PENN
Mar 8, 2019
Moreno Valley
Name
Scott
Boat
Seafox 226
I heard the entire thing unfold from La Jolla. You did an amazing job. A few things to note would have been an extra bilge pump, it seemed to me there was enough time to plane and head in as he still had full engine control (wasn't physically there), and get Sea Tow. I heard on the radio that they wanted $8k for a non-member to drag him back....I learned a lot from this scenario unfolding on the VHF.....thanks and glad everyone is alright.

Upvote 0

rrhyne

Mar 2, 2010
leucadia, ca
Name
rob rhyne
Boat
fins
Thanks for all these tips and kudos to the OP who provided assistance and posted for us all to refresh and learn. Two anecdotes, which may prove helpful:

1) The skipper who said verify your pumps by seeing them pump water is 100% correct. My father had a bilge pump impeller break. I've had the shaft break on a bait pump. These two pumps sounded like they were working just fine, but neither pumped water.

2) Debris in the bilge could cost you your life. I purchased a boat that sat for a while and collected small leaves in the bilge. My best efforts at cleaning it out did not get all the leaves hidden under the deck. Leaving a paper towel in the hull (which made it's way to the bilge) did not help the situation. I only found out 13 miles off oceanside on my first trip with it. The boat was filling up and the pump was running, but had no water getting to it to pump. Unscrewing a bilge pump in 3 foot seas with poor bilge access is not fun, but you can do it pretty fast when scared.

Reactions: halibutslayer
Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    Pretty sure I saw the boat yesterday. It's no longer at the middle grounds, but beached by the Mexican Navy base at the cove on the south island. Not sure why they moved it there... if it's the same boat.

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
    May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Is the engine salvageable?

You bet it WAS salvageable. Got the call from our friend (who we were supposed to buddy boat with the following day) that his boat is beached at the Coronado's, went thru hell. Sea Tow sucks (wouldn't help him because he "beached" it - gotta be at sea, not on Mexican soil), would bring him a bilge for $$$ and he would have to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$ for every foot they pulled him off the rocks. His hull got hammered from the waves and rocks.
    Saw "Fishoon" the next morning. It was stripped the best I could see. Someone definitely has a nice outboard now on their panga. Got too close and one of the guys from Brokeback island came hard charging down the hill, like, "stay away from my claim beeyotches".
    Real bummer Ty, very sad to see your girl there.

This guy is like "Score!" GTFO!
    KIMG5362.jpg
    KIMG5359.jpg

Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Imperial Beach, CA
    Name
    Franklin Warner
    Boat
    2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    You bet it WAS salvageable. Got the call from our friend (who we were supposed to buddy boat with the following day) that his boat is beached at the Coronado's, went thru hell. Sea Tow sucks (wouldn't help him because he "beached" it - gotta be at sea, not on Mexican soil), would bring him a bilge for $$$ and he would have to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$ for every foot they pulled him off the rocks. His hull got hammered from the waves and rocks.
    Saw "Fishoon" the next morning. It was stripped the best I could see. Someone definitely has a nice outboard now on their panga. Got too close and one of the guys from Brokeback island came hard charging down the hill, like, "stay away from my claim beeyotches".
    Real bummer Ty, very sad to see your girl there.

This guy is like "Score!" GTFO!View attachment 1054610 View attachment 1054609

I thought the boat was falling apart? How did it get to the sandy beach? Glad the guys are safe but WE HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS. This should be used as a learning experience for all of us. I for one will be placing an order for a spare bilge pump to connect straight to the battery in an emergency.

Upvote 0

Sdchronix

Kook Style
    Jul 26, 2018
    San diego
    Name
    Anthony C.
    Boat
    Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
    I thought the boat was falling apart? How did it get to the sandy beach? Glad the guys are safe but WE HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS. This should be used as a learning experience for all of us. I for one will be placing an order for a spare bilge pump to connect straight to the battery in an emergency.

Not sure, but pretty sure it was there the Sunday after it happened. At least that's where I recall seeing it. Not sure how they moved it.

Upvote 0

Guy Schneider

Feb 5, 2016
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    TailWhip
    Boat
    2007 Parker 2320
    This is a great thread. Kudos to everyone for trying to help us all stay afloat and fishing.

Started planning out a backup bilge project this weekend and did some research on all the topics to identify points of failure and decisions so I did it right (the first time): backup location, float location, T vs 2nd thru hull, riser loop, power, connectors. Actually quite a bit to consider to get it all to work right and limit failure, especially if your offshore running on 12v battery power (some of those pumps pull as much as 14 amps).

Came across this great article written by a surveyor - candid and to the point. Shares some details and veteran tips I did not consider. Thought I would share it here.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

Also, some old dude once told me the best $5 you can spend on your boat is on a nerf football. Its water resistant, pliable, can be cut down to size, compresses and expands to fit into any type of breech - plugs are great but only work in round holes of similar size. Never had to use one but seems to make since.

Good fishing!

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    I was also out there on Saturday and heard the frustration with your communication to Sea Tow . You should be commended Captain for responding to help them . Their situation could have been a lot worse if they had not beached it . The islands are not a forgiving place to be at if things go bad . I currently don’t have a spare bilge for emergencies . But Amazon will take care of that . I have two bilge pumps on boat but a spare seems like a no brainer . I will rig it so I can attach to batteries in an emergency . It’s good to know there are Captains like yourself who will help another boater . I know it took you away from fishing for awhile and that you also returned them to Shelter Island . Hopefully they take you out to dinner or buy you a case of beer for you next trip !! Good job

It's hard for me to imagine that people wouldn't respond to a may day like this, aside that it could be you next time, all the moral and common sense reasons, it is also maritime law that you respond to any mayday and offer assistance.

a lot of comments here about getting a back up pump, if youre going to have a back up, make it a manual one. You can find your self in a situation where you are losing battery or want to save some for lights and radio so they can find your ass. I have been in that situation where your bilge pumps aren't working and you have a lot more water in the bilge than you want and it is a fucked one to be in. Trust me you will want something that will move some water and move it now. when i was looking at manual pumps and the amount they pump per minute I couldn't help think about the rule 1100 gph which would be 18 per min. and in reality is 4, and these are advertised at quarts per min. What i ended up with is a little expensive, $40 at harbor freight, a little big and heavy, but it pumps 10 gal a minute. it is a barrel transfer pump. Trust me if given a choice of pumps these guys would have wanted this one and probably would have saved their boat. I am a little extreme but like one of the posts above, I don't want to go into the water either... was on a friends boat last year and we ended up in the water and it really isn't all that much fun.

Upvote 0

reel therapy

21 Triumph CC
    Aug 6, 2008
    San Diego ca. us
    Name
    thomas
    Boat
    21' CC Love Them Triumphs!
    I was going to post that. Works pretty well. Good method to know.

I was going to post that. Works pretty well. Good method to know.

FYI.... That trick does not work with a Triumph 210 or 215, because the drain plug is in the inside of the boat, on the deck towards the stern, and drains out of the bottom of the boat!! It's the only slight flaw I see with Triumph boats... Other than that I can name a hundred bitchin things about the Triumph boats!
    Props to the captain of the Grady-White, and any others that rushed to their brother boater for help! I can speak for myself and would cut my line in a heartbeat to save somebody hoping they would do the same for me!

Reactions: tmitch760
    Upvote 0

reel therapy

21 Triumph CC
    Aug 6, 2008
    San Diego ca. us
    Name
    thomas
    Boat
    21' CC Love Them Triumphs!
    this boat had a notched transom which lets in a little bit of water each time a small wave hits the back. They owner had a single bilge pump which broke therefore the transom was lower in the water. he said that within 30 seconds of noticing the issue he was ankle deep in water. lots of decisions were made in a hurry and hindsite is 20/20, right. For example if he had gone over to the sandy beach by the mex navy this would not have been an issue.

the boat was a 18' larson 1986 and the motor was a 115 hp 2015 Yamaha so all the value is in the motor.

due to international salvage rights i reckon a Panga operator in Mexico is stoked right now.....
    Panga Owner....Sad But True!!!

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    That's a lot to consider. A low stern allow water to come in, but it also allows it to leave. If you can push the throttle it should leave by the back door. That can only work if the motor stays running. As for pulling the drain and jamming. It might work for a small boat, and it is the reason that the drain plug installs from the inside on a Whaler. Flotation sounds like a life savor, but there is always a catch, boats like ATC's prefer to float upside down! When its nice com and balanced they stay upright. But if your swamped boat take a wave broadside expect to start swimming. The way to avoid this problem is to have all for the flotation located high and at the perimeter of the boat. A dingy is very stable, without an outboard attached they would be very hard to flip the Cg is too low. An inboard is more stable, and an outboard is less. Once a boat takes on a bunch of water, it will help it roll. The stern goes down, the bow goes up an she turtles down wind/swell. With a low transom the water could leave before things too exciting, With a high transom and a self draining deck the water should stay out. If you have a high transom and a deck that drains into the bilge you need good pumps!

Upvote 0