Nados, Yellos, beached boat and an IMPORTANT LESSON

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Zululander, Jul 29, 2019.

1. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    was hoping if someone knew why "The Beached Boat" in this thread was taking on so much water.... and had to be beached ????

2. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Good job on responding to the mayday call. Good on you for offering up assistance.

Somebody up thread mentioned tapered wood plugs. That's a good call, but I also carry extra toilet wax rings. They're malleable enough to mold to fit a hole and plug it up quickly and sticky enough to stay in. However, none of these plug solutions will work with out one other accessory... a dive mask. I keep one of those on board also.

Zika likes this.
  3. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    We cruised over there after hearing about it on the vhf and talked to one of the boaters that had responded offering a bilge pump. But these guys were already on it and did all they could do to help.
    IMG_20190727_142203655.jpg
    I'm wondering about the Sea Tow non-response. That happened to us a few weeks back when we had some battery issues. Sea Tow actually never responded to any vhf calls. It wasn't until we were within cell phone range that I called the national number. The new owner and local Capt Jared is an ass. We are changing tow service. Good on you guys that responded quickly.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    halibutslayer and Spearo4Life like this.
  4. JoshInSD

JoshInSD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
    Is the engine salvageable?

Gil Marlin likes this.
  5. muletrain

muletrain Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Good karma coming your way.

So sad to see such a beautiful boat in the water

Glad to hear everyone is ok. That’s what is most important.

Thanks for sharing

6. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Sea Tow is not there to save lives or property, only to tow you in. If you are grounded, etc., then at the discretion of the local captain, SeaTow (actually, the local franchisee) can charge salvage, which can be HUGE. If not life/property threatening, they should have hailed the USCG, and asked USCG to contact Sea Tow. I don't belong to any tow service (but my insurance policy offers full reimbursement of towing costs with far fewer limitations than the membership tow services) who would have patched in Sea Tow. If Sea Tow had refused service in those circumstances, there would have been hell to pay. And if I need a tow, and am willing to pay commercially reasonable rates (which I absolutely am, since I have insurance), then considering that commercial rates are huge compared to what SeaTow pays its franchisees, who do you think the franchisee will tow first, me or the SeaTow member.

7. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)

8. RUNNOFT

RUNNOFT Word of the Day: IceMelter

Name:
    OT - the Other Travis
    Boat:
    Professional Boat Ho for now
    Can’t stress this one enough . Few years back while sport commercial fishing off the Columbia river we started taking in water on a 40 ft Viking 45 miles out. A tag team of buckets and hand pump kept enough water out to identify the area of intrusion and fix, which was a busted hose on a thru Hull for cooling. We had about 6 inches of stern still above water at the lowest point

Stressful to the max, but kept calm and worked through the issues. Continued on after fix and killed 95 tuna fir the day.

Buckets and hand pumps can move a lot of water when motivated

Few weeks earlier had a medivac at sea, with the coast guard dropping a basket on the deck for a crew memember who was having a heart attack.

Few weeks after the “sinking incident” hit a full size tree 49 miles out that bent the shafts and finally put the old horse out to pasture...some bad juju on that boat....glad I survived

fishontop and stangclassic66 like this.
  9. stanky1

stanky1 Member

Name:
    Squid Mark
    Boat:
    Scout 175 Sportfish
    The length of the boat involved is not known by me, but if it is under 20 ft it should be foam filled and designed for level flotation when swamped. If that is the case, it might be wiser to let the foam do what it was designed to do, rather than attempt a beaching on a rocky shore or through large surf on a sandy beach.

10. Zululander

Zululander Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Grady White Custom 22
    this boat had a notched transom which lets in a little bit of water each time a small wave hits the back. They owner had a single bilge pump which broke therefore the transom was lower in the water. he said that within 30 seconds of noticing the issue he was ankle deep in water. lots of decisions were made in a hurry and hindsite is 20/20, right. For example if he had gone over to the sandy beach by the mex navy this would not have been an issue.

the boat was a 18' larson 1986 and the motor was a 115 hp 2015 Yamaha so all the value is in the motor.

due to international salvage rights i reckon a Panga operator in Mexico is stoked right now.....

repo805 likes this.
  11. Zululander

Zululander Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Grady White Custom 22
    We went through all the proper protocols and talked with both the coast guard and sea tow. When we saw all the shards of fiberglass on the beach it became absolutely evident that the boat would no longer float.

Sea tow can tow you, but dont expect them to save you.

12. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    On my 3 Rule pumps, I put a square of plastic window screen material between the pump and slotted bracket, secured with a plastic quick-tie..it still clamps into place and prevents leaves, hair, etc from getting sucked into the pump, creating a blockage...I .change all hoses every 10 years and check them monthly...and, I carry a 5 gallon bucket for backup...

13. Trollingtheinternet

Trollingtheinternet Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Seafox 226
    I heard the entire thing unfold from La Jolla. You did an amazing job. A few things to note would have been an extra bilge pump, it seemed to me there was enough time to plane and head in as he still had full engine control (wasn't physically there), and get Sea Tow. I heard on the radio that they wanted $8k for a non-member to drag him back....I learned a lot from this scenario unfolding on the VHF.....thanks and glad everyone is alright.

14. rrhyne

rrhyne Member

Name:
    rob rhyne
    Boat:
    fins
    Thanks for all these tips and kudos to the OP who provided assistance and posted for us all to refresh and learn. Two anecdotes, which may prove helpful:

1) The skipper who said verify your pumps by seeing them pump water is 100% correct. My father had a bilge pump impeller break. I've had the shaft break on a bait pump. These two pumps sounded like they were working just fine, but neither pumped water.

2) Debris in the bilge could cost you your life. I purchased a boat that sat for a while and collected small leaves in the bilge. My best efforts at cleaning it out did not get all the leaves hidden under the deck. Leaving a paper towel in the hull (which made it's way to the bilge) did not help the situation. I only found out 13 miles off oceanside on my first trip with it. The boat was filling up and the pump was running, but had no water getting to it to pump. Unscrewing a bilge pump in 3 foot seas with poor bilge access is not fun, but you can do it pretty fast when scared.

halibutslayer likes this.
  15. Low N Slow

Low N Slow Senior Chief

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    Thresher 21' CC (Yellow Fever)
    Pretty sure I saw the boat yesterday. It's no longer at the middle grounds, but beached by the Mexican Navy base at the cove on the south island. Not sure why they moved it there... if it's the same boat.

16. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    You bet it WAS salvageable. Got the call from our friend (who we were supposed to buddy boat with the following day) that his boat is beached at the Coronado's, went thru hell. Sea Tow sucks (wouldn't help him because he "beached" it - gotta be at sea, not on Mexican soil), would bring him a bilge for $$$ and he would have to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$ for every foot they pulled him off the rocks. His hull got hammered from the waves and rocks.
    Saw "Fishoon" the next morning. It was stripped the best I could see. Someone definitely has a nice outboard now on their panga. Got too close and one of the guys from Brokeback island came hard charging down the hill, like, "stay away from my claim beeyotches".
    Real bummer Ty, very sad to see your girl there.

This guy is like "Score!" GTFO! KIMG5362.jpg KIMG5359.jpg

17. Franklin Warner

Franklin Warner Newbie

Name:
    Franklin Warner
    Boat:
    2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    I thought the boat was falling apart? How did it get to the sandy beach? Glad the guys are safe but WE HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS. This should be used as a learning experience for all of us. I for one will be placing an order for a spare bilge pump to connect straight to the battery in an emergency.

18. Sdchronix

Sdchronix Alpine Beer Fishing Team

Name:
    Anthony C.
    Boat:
    Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
    Not sure, but pretty sure it was there the Sunday after it happened. At least that's where I recall seeing it. Not sure how they moved it.

19. Guy Schneider

Guy Schneider Tail Whip

Name:
    Tail Whip
    Boat:
    2007 Parker 2320
    This is a great thread. Kudos to everyone for trying to help us all stay afloat and fishing.

Started planning out a backup bilge project this weekend and did some research on all the topics to identify points of failure and decisions so I did it right (the first time): backup location, float location, T vs 2nd thru hull, riser loop, power, connectors. Actually quite a bit to consider to get it all to work right and limit failure, especially if your offshore running on 12v battery power (some of those pumps pull as much as 14 amps).

Came across this great article written by a surveyor - candid and to the point. Shares some details and veteran tips I did not consider. Thought I would share it here.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

Also, some old dude once told me the best $5 you can spend on your boat is on a nerf football. Its water resistant, pliable, can be cut down to size, compresses and expands to fit into any type of breech - plugs are great but only work in round holes of similar size. Never had to use one but seems to make since.

Good fishing!

20. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    What engine???

Low N Slow likes this.