longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Launched at 430 this morning to beat the weekend rush. Still waited for 30 min for bait but no big deal. Bait is excellent right now and didn't loose one all day. Was greeted with a good size wind swell and somewhat confused seas but was still able to make decent speed.
    20200516_160246.jpg

I went straight to the middle grounds where I got them last week and there was still plenty of fish around. Water was 65 degrees and pretty decent color. I had 4 on the boat by 830 caught on rapalas, slow troll, and 1 on the jig. It started to get crowded so I went over to ribbon kelp area and got 1 more on the rapala.
    20200516_153147.jpg
    20200516_153219.jpg
    I finished the morning on one of my shallow stones for a 5 nice reds all caught on live bait. Back to the shelter by 12 and waited 45 min in line to pull my boat out so be prepared to wait if you go tomorrow.

Did hear that a 19ft mako capsized lee side of north island, all 3 passengers were recovered by a near by boat and were safe. Scary stuff glad they were Ok! Would like to know what happened as it sounded like it went down pretty quick.

Stay safe out there and good luck!

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    Launched at 430 this morning to beat the weekend rush. Still waited for 30 min for bait but no big deal. Bait is excellent right now and didn't loose one all day. Was greeted with a good size wind swell and somewhat confused seas but was still able to make decent speed.View attachment 1145650
    I went straight to the middle grounds where I got them last week and there was still plenty of fish around. Water was 65 degrees and pretty decent color. I had 4 on the boat by 830 caught on rapalas, slow troll, and 1 on the jig. It started to get crowded so I went over to ribbon kelp area and got 1 more on the rapala. View attachment 1145654View attachment 1145655I finished the morning on one of my shallow stones for a 5 nice reds all caught on live bait. Back to the shelter by 12 and waited 45 min in line to pull my boat out so be prepared to wait if you go tomorrow.

Did hear that a 19ft mako capsized lee side of north island, all 3 passengers were recovered by a near by boat and were safe. Scary stuff glad they were Ok! Would like to know what happened as it sounded like it went down pretty quick.

Stay safe out there and good luck!

Lee Side? I am going with a failed through hole fitting. Unless they just got swamped by someone's wake. Glad you got into some yellowtail. Sounds like Rapalas are the way to go. Water cleaning up at Point Loma?

John

Reactions: longboard85
    Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    Lee Side? I am going with a failed through hole fitting. Unless they just got swamped by someone's wake. Glad you got into some yellowtail. Sounds like Rapalas are the way to go. Water cleaning up at Point Loma?

John
    Yea that was my guess as well thankfully it happened where it did and someone was close by.

Water in point loma was better but still not that great.

Reactions: Hardcor
    Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Mako down on the Leeside? Glad the passengers are safe now ping on over those numbers for the new artificial reef that home guard is going to post up around!

Tow boat came and flipped it over and towed it back to san diego. Took about 8 times bit they got it turned over and hauled ass with it.

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    WTG Corey! Thanks very much for the report. Keep it up buddy. We got out to the tanks and then the Whistler on Friday but it was crazy big with the combination of mixed swell and wind. Managed a big Cuda but headed in before the afternoon gusts thankfully! 😅 Can’t wait to fish the islands. Well over due for me. Boat is way toooooooo clean.

Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    You are on fire Cody, another great day. Good quality on the Yellowtail.
    All in a 17 foot boat
    Thanks Corey gonna run offshore Friday i think I'll let you know.
    WTG Corey! Thanks very much for the report. Keep it up buddy. We got out to the tanks and then the Whistler on Friday but it was crazy big with the combination of mixed swell and wind. Managed a big Cuda but headed in before the afternoon gusts thankfully! 😅 Can’t wait to fish the islands. Well over due for me. Boat is way toooooooo clean.
    Thanks Will I'm glad you were able to get out!

Upvote 0