Albrektsen

Really?
Nov 7, 2003
SD
Name
Kirk
Boat
Farallon 2600 Walkaround
Quick report, islands windy yesterday, tough conditions for small yellows and bonita. Sardines at pukey 64deg water. Lots of people on the radio, esp when the Mex Navy rolled up from the south...watched them check a skiff at the light house at South Island. That boater dearted the area after his checkup.

Much chatter on the radio about what is needed, I heard it all. FMM, FCC Ship Station Lic, Operators Permit or Lic (What?) Anyway, I email the FMM customs folks and here is their reply about what is needed.

Boat docs.JPG

boat docs reply.JPG

Reactions: fisher3
Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
I was down at the RP getting sloshed to death in the washing machine when the Navy rolled up. There were 3 other boats in a line, I was number 3. The number 4 boat turned and ran full speed back North when they stopped on the first skiff. They were with those guys maybe 15 minutes, then slowly passed me and the other boat that stayed, and then they took off North. Sure enough, 45 min later we heard all the "incoming!" chatter on the radio. Guess they figured if we didn't run when we had the chance, we must have our docs in order (which we did).

Wind and chop were brutal.

Anybody know the boat "Encounter", or "Encore", or "Encompass"...something like that? 35 ft class cabin cruiser. We couldn't see their name fully so we just called them "Encroachment". They put on a clinic on how not to slide in on birds. All day long, everywhere we went, they were there like a slow bowling ball, working up a full head of steam and then charging straight into the birds which scattered like flies. It was almost like a kid running through flocks of geese at a pond. Classic guys, thanks for that.

Upvote 0

Saintwho

Almost A Member
Jul 25, 2014
Name
Chris
Boat
2101WA
Juan Carlos has been answering my emails too lol. Great name :) they didn't check me either but were coming full steam until inside 100 yards then veered off, my theory is they have the information from boats with proper paperwork in place so once they see the name of vessel and crew count they have an idea of who did it right.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Thanks for the info about the mex navy and for the report.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Don't run there f--king boat is FAST!!!!!
They will smoke most anything you fish on .

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
You should keep that letter with you if you ever get stopped and the mex navy asked for the radio permit and license... I wonder what there response would be....

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Don't run there f--king boat is FAST!!!!!
    They will smoke most anything you fish on .

Forget how fast the boat is the bullets in that machine gun travel at about 2000 feet per second. I know they have never open fired on a US boat running from the islands but there is always a first time.

Upvote 0

Albrektsen

Really?
    Nov 7, 2003
    SD
    Name
    Kirk
    Boat
    Farallon 2600 Walkaround
    Chris, I have the same theory in mind about paperwork and the Mex Navy having the info prior to arriving in the area. I was 500 yards from the first skiff checked at South Island and they went right by me. We'll see if at some point I get checked.

Upvote 0
    Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    justin cardenas
    Boat
    "Foul Hooker"
    Juan Carlos has been answering my emails too lol. Great name :) they didn't check me either but were coming full steam until inside 100 yards then veered off, my theory is they have the information from boats with proper paperwork in place so once they see the name of vessel and crew count they have an idea of who did it right.
    That's what I think also. I have been out in the nices twist I've been on a 50' sportfisher and everyone but U.S. Got checked and we had our shit together.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
    Sep 27, 2004
    Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
    Name
    Bill Parker
    Boat
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Thanks for the info. Once you go thru the process it is very straightforward and only takes a few minutes the next time. it is about $23 per person. I submitted Sunday nite and heard back with acceptance by 9:00 am? Mexican Navy is cool if you are respectful and in compliance. I always remember it is a privledge to fish in Mexico. It is an amazing resource! Everytime I fish the Coronados I appreciate what an amazing biosphere it is.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Anybody know the boat "Encounter", or "Encore", or "Encompass"...something like that? 35 ft class cabin cruiser. We couldn't see their name fully so we just called them "Encroachment". They put on a clinic on how not to slide in on birds. All day long, everywhere we went, they were there like a slow bowling ball, working up a full head of steam and then charging straight into the birds which scattered like flies. It was almost like a kid running through flocks of geese at a pond. Classic guys, thanks for that.

I've heard of those bastards and I think they ended up with 16 YT 17-23# on iron for that day; sounds like their "clinic" worked pretty good to me WTF were you doing while they were catching? With 3-5 pairs of gyros working on their bridge I seriously doubt you were the first ones on the bird schools:rofl:

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I've heard of those bastards and I think they ended up with 16 YT 17-23# on iron for that day; sounds like their "clinic" worked pretty good to me WTF were you doing while they were catching? With 3-5 pairs of gyros working on their bridge I seriously doubt you were the first ones on the bird schools:rofl:
    Get your facts straight Jeff......

They went 18-19......:D

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I have a feeling ^ this guy was on that boat that day....

No I wasn't on the boat that day, the captain is a good friend of mine and one of the best in SoCal as he is well known. If you're fishing in the same area as he is let me let you in on a little secret; you're probably in the right place!

Upvote 0
    Feb 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    stan
    Boat
    None

Thats what I'm talking about. Good to know that other boats bring 5 pairs of gyros as well. You need to have more money in binos then most people have in their boat to gain the most respect. What we do is have one guy looking upswell, one at our wake , one off the port and one off the starboard. The 5th guy is usually looking straight up . Haven't figured out a use for him yet but we had to do something with the 5th pair.

Upvote 0