Islands Nados are back! 7-7-21 report

Sea Bacon

• Aug 24, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    21’ Parker CC
    Decided to give the islands a try since it’s been pretty quiet lately. Calm seas. Did 30mph in and 30mph back home. Almost no wind. Glad the boys and I took a peek. Here’s all you need to know:

1. South Island, north end between shit rock
    2. South Island near the tuna pens

Hot ticket: Rapala xraps

Landed 6 out of 8 Yellowtail.

Not one dog bothered us and the boat traffic was extremely light. Lots of chatter on the radio on how slow the bft “catching” was. Gave my location and a few boats came by to join the island fun.

Tight lines,

Sea Bacon

Mario1509

Aug 9, 2018
    California
    Name
    Mario Salgado
    Boat
    Chaparral
    Do you have to do more paperwork to hit the islands besides having a license? I see people post how they decided to go last minute or what not. Is it that easy, or what process must you take? Thanks

Sea Bacon

• Aug 24, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    21’ Parker CC
    Do you have to do more paperwork to hit the islands besides having a license? I see people post how they decided to go last minute or what not. Is it that easy, or what process must you take? Thanks
    There is definitely more “permits” than simply a Mexican fishing license for private boaters. BDOUTDOORS has a sticky with all the info you need to fish Mexico.

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    Nice report, but.... Pics or didn't happen. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Decided to give the islands a try since it’s been pretty quiet lately. Calm seas. Did 30mph in and 30mph back home. Almost no wind. Glad the boys and I took a peek. Here’s all you need to know:

1. South Island, north end between shit rock
    2. South Island near the tuna pens

Hot ticket: Rapala xraps

Landed 6 out of 8 Yellowtail.

Not one dog bothered us and the boat traffic was extremely light. Lots of chatter on the radio on how slow the bft “catching” was. Gave my location and a few boats came by to join the island fun.

Tight lines,

Sea Bacon

Upvote 0

Bubsalsa

Almost A Member
    Nov 11, 2014
    La Jolla, Ca
    Name
    Bubsalsa
    Boat
    18' Boston Whaler Outrage
    I got stopped at the Islands and the Navy was out checking. 2of my last 3 times the Navy has been patrolling..... Friday Saturday and Sunday they like to take a patrol

Reactions: Otto
    Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
  • Sep 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    The full day boat Point Loma is trying to get out tomorrow they need 2 more to go. If that is all it runs with 8 max of 18. 619-223-1627

Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
  • Sep 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    The full day boat Point Loma is trying to get out tomorrow they need 2 more to go. If that is all it runs with 8 max of 18. 619-223-1627
    It’s going with 6 as of now “will run”

Upvote 0

Hophead

When’s the next trip
    Jun 26, 2004
    san diego
    Name
    ryan
    Boat
    22’ Seaway
    I hear all this talk about what will happen if you don’t have the correct paperwork. Chime in if you’ve been stopped without. I never stop at the islands on my way home from offshore, but it is sure tempting…

Reactions: repo805

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
    La Mesa
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Aquasport 215DC
    I was hoping you would post here so I could say Thanks!! We were one of the boats who came in from offshore. I had a couple of newer fisherman with me and we had a blast! There were yellows, Cuda and bass going crazy for hours on live bait right in front of the tuna pens. Nothing huge but lots of fun. Thanks for sharing info on the radio. We appreciate it!
    36028.jpeg

Last edited:

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    I was hoping you would post here so I could say Thanks!! We were one of the boats who came in from offshore. I had a couple of newer fisherman with me and we had a blast! There were yellows, Cuda and bass going crazy for hours on live bait right in front of the tuna pens. Nothing huge but lots of fun. Thanks for sharing info on the radio. We appreciate it! View attachment 1297225
    Nice fish

Reactions: Danthefishman
    Upvote 0
    Jan 7, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    DTS
    Boat
    Boatless
    Last year when we were fishing the islands a lot. I went to squid co and they dialed us in with all of the necessary permitting. Mexican fishing license, FHM for the year they got us dialed. We were stopped by the Mexican navy and after a five minute review sent on our way. Because we all had passports and the correct documentation.

Reactions: Otto
    Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    Nice report, but.... Pics or didn't happen. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Oh, it happened... I was on the boat. Smaller grade than we're used to, but better than nothing. What Art failed to mention was all the slimy bastard barracuda we threw back. Got a bunch of calicos, too. Most thrown back, a few fatties for tacos.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
    Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    Cross the border at the Otay crossing and get your 180 day FMM visa and maybe get a TIP permit. Then go to squidco for your 1 year Biosphere pass and your Mexican fishing license. Of course everyone needs a passport and a california fishing license.

Upvote 0

Sea Bacon

• Aug 24, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    21’ Parker CC
    I was hoping you would post here so I could say Thanks!! We were one of the boats who came in from offshore. I had a couple of newer fisherman with me and we had a blast! There were yellows, Cuda and bass going crazy for hours on live bait right in front of the tuna pens. Nothing huge but lots of fun. Thanks for sharing info on the radio. We appreciate it! View attachment 1297225
    Hell yea bro! Nice work! Glad I could help!

I’ll be offshore on Monday searching for the finicky bft. Keep your ears on if you are out there. I might give my coordinates.

Tight lines,
    Sea Bacon

Reactions: Low N Slow
    Upvote 0