hronk

Almost A Member
Jul 26, 2005
Bishop
Name
Bob
Boat
19' Tracker
Well, we all learned something....Shit happens.....I'm glad we have first world problems to discuss....my bait died.....Been such a crappy year already....I'm glad you figured out what the problem was...now if I could get my new motor to run, my batteries to not be shit, and a my shifter cable to not stick.....I love the boat but man sometimes......
I could have shut up, but I didn't. Thanks for the reply. We've all probably been flamed once or twice when we didn't deserve it.

Reactions: reelbadlarry
Upvote 0

javierlopez123

Almost A Member
Sep 21, 2019
Pomona
Name
Javier
Boat
Skippy 24 Fly
I don’t think any apology is needed. At least not for me. I do think maybe you jumped the gun a little. Many here have dealt plenty with nacho and know how he can be. “The bait guy who hates selling bait.” Most of the time the bait is really good. I’ve been yelled at by him one day and the next day he’s acting like my best friend telling me where they’re biting! But I keep going back. It’s part of the entertainment! My wife even makes a joke about it like let’s see if he gets on your case today! I’m sure he can handle some trash talking!

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Poor quality uncured bait typically is a little bruised or has scales missing.

One thing I notice about your pic is the lack of scales on the bottom of the tank which tells me the bait likely suffocated

I doubt the quality of the bait was the problem

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackfish

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Good ol Nacho….

The guy has been flamed many times since I’ve been on BD, and to be honest, he’s deserved it most of the time. Wake him up or catch him on his period and he’s a DICK!

That said, he’s always been cool to me, and he’s generally very well liked. Pissy attitude and all, people know Nacho, and he’s always gonna be busy. FWIW, he’s almost always pretty cool, and he’ll usually tell you if the bait is crappy, and he’ll also give you the fresh dope.

Love him or hate him, he’s a genuine Long Beach icon. And his dog too!

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
No amount of internet flame is gonna harm nacho at all. You think he really gives a fuck? Doubtful.

Ive been fishing Long Beach and dealing with him for the past 13 years. Ive been yelled at, refused service, given free bait, charged double, been told where the tuna and wahoo are, and a whole range of emotions from him and his crew. Doesnt matter, still love the guy, and hes treated all of us with a great day on the water while he literally lives in a shack and deals with dickheads 24/7.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
I have never seen ALL the bait roll like that. Even if it's not cured. I really think you have or had a pump issue like a lot of people said. If it happened to me id start chunking it and chumming and try to make the best of it.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Willing to bet you got some crap in the water. Avalon harbor is nasty. And the bait is fresh.

I got a scoop saturday morning and it lasted all day in a 22 gallon tank. He told me that it was choas earlier that morning with all the boats so I bet the bait is still really fresh.
Willing to bet you got some crap in the water. Avalon harbor is nasty. And the bait is fresh.
^^^ This

Yep, people washing dishes, washing their decks while on the cans, maybe a bilge pump kicks on in the night, pumps out little oil. Who knows what may come off the beach.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
^^^ This

Yep, people washing dishes, washing their decks while on the cans, maybe a bilge pump kicks on in the night, pumps out little oil. Who knows what may come off the beach.

Spent plenty of time in Avalon over decades and have known John King who has had a bait receiver there also for decades. I have never had/heard of an issue with water quality killing bait.

Sounds like restricted water flow was the OPs problem.

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Avalon harbor water temp plus contamination from the gas dock probably increased your mortality. But, it is a Las Vegas gamble when numerous boats need baited up in a short time span...Nacho is Nacho....:)

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
I really don't know where this is coming from so I will apologize in advance:

"Gee, sounds like your panties might have clogged the intake." :shake:

Is that BD enough? Too BD? Anyway, glad you got to go fishing.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0