Nacho - great bait - my mistake

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Picked up 2 scoops of bait from Nacho and paid $90 that includes the $10 tip. My 68 gallon tank could have held more, but for a overnight trip to Cat, I figured I had enough - got a mooring at Avalon - ran the pump all night and woke up to this.

I don’t know if nacho gave me the bad bait or only had crappy bait, but now gonna consider buying bait from newport or Long Beach - a conversation with nacho probably won’t help - maybe if enough of us tell him his bait sucks balls he will make some changes!

37464412-7BC2-4D4B-B1EF-9F0C4D2ED150.jpeg

Blackfish
    Blackfish
    I baught two scoops on Thursday. Bait was still doing great Saturday. I don’t even think one piece died. Released about half a scoop.
    My bet, some kind of contaminant got in the tank via the intake. Maybe some fuel or oil or soap was around your boat in the night. Killed the fish but filtered out over night.
    Maybe a bag got stuck on your intake ?
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I'm guessing your pump died for a while in the night.. Eel Grass on intake or something.
    Even beat up bait would have a higher survival rate and the dead ones dont look real beat up.

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I always tip more than 20%.
    Never rolls.

It is bound to happen eventually, if you routinely sleep with nobody on watch.

Better luck next time.
    I was out on the sea horse many years ago, and the boat got struck by lightning,
    And we all woke up to that in the morning,
    Luckily the freedom, handed off a few scoops of dines, too salvage our trip.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

javierlopez123

Almost A Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Pomona
    Name
    Javier
    Boat
    Skippy 24 Fly
    I got 2 scoops both Friday and Saturday. Had a few die both days. I’d have to say that the bait was fair. A lot of bloody ones. About 1 in 10-15 baits was a good swimmer and no markings on them. I wouldn’t know if they would have lasted overnight as I was out of bait Friday by 2 pm and Saturday by noon.

Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 12, 2010
    Lb inshore
    Name
    Simmo
    Boat
    19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
    The sardines ran out thursday i got bait thursday 530 am from nacho (mario) perfect bait didnt lose one. I think if u got bait friday it was new bait and they dont last long. Also, like others said i think the more likely issue was at some point your pump malfunctioned and that is why the bait died. Hope it doesn’t happen again ...

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    I just installed a filter next to the bait pump and had to run a couple extra angles to get the filter near the pump - gonna check to see if the tank still fills in 8 minutes to make sure the pump is adequate. Perhaps the filter reduced the pump GPM. More info to come on this one next week.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I'm gonna get shit on for this.

I've only heard Nacho's name since I joined several years ago. Is he just the guy everyone puts up with cuz for some reason he's the only one who works that bait barge?

Does he own the thing? Or is he an employee?

I feel like guys who interact with him love the idea of dealing with some salty, ornery old dude although I gotta tell ya...I enjoy the nicer dudes I deal with way more.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 15, 2008
    United States of America
    Name
    A
    Boat
    I got a full scoop Sunday early morning. Nacho knew the bait was not cured. I was about to leave after I paid him. He told me to wait so he could give me some better bait. He asked my son to help him lift up the metal fence so he could access bait from a different holding net. Around noon, half the bait had rolled.

I've been going to Nachos for over 15 years. Sometimes the bait is cured and sometimes it's not when the demand is high. I always hope for cured bait but it is what it is.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I just installed a filter next to the bait pump and had to run a couple extra angles to get the filter near the pump - gonna check to see if the tank still fills in 8 minutes to make sure the pump is adequate. Perhaps the filter reduced the pump GPM. More info to come on this one next week.

As long as the filter is before the pump it doesn't matter where it goes.

As a somewhat of a salty gumpy old guy myself far as Nacho is concerned his attitude is often better than mine :D. Been fishing local for many decades and he has provided great intel many times. The bait is what it is. Losing a tank once in a while in summertime is part of the game.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    Willing to bet you got some crap in the water. Avalon harbor is nasty. And the bait is fresh.

I got a scoop saturday morning and it lasted all day in a 22 gallon tank. He told me that it was choas earlier that morning with all the boats so I bet the bait is still really fresh.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    LOT of good suggestions and info here. With Bluefin Tuna being caught just off Long Beach and Newport Beach recently, don't expect to have prime bait every time at any Socal Bait receiver now. Lot of customers.
    It's summer, it's madness, it's normal. LOL LOL

Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Picked up 2 scoops of bait from Nacho and paid $90 that includes the $10 tip. My 68 gallon tank could have held more, but for a overnight trip to Cat, I figured I had enough - got a mooring at Avalon - ran the pump all night and woke up to this.

I don’t know if nacho gave me the bad bait or only had crappy bait, but now gonna consider buying bait from newport or Long Beach - a conversation with nacho probably won’t help - maybe if enough of us tell him his bait sucks balls he will make some changes!

View attachment 1297955

Just grabbed bait in Newport this morning. It wasn't the greatest. Not lively, beat up and about 1/10 th rolled while I was on a mild (not heavy running) half day of f'ing around outside of CDM.

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Willing to bet you got some crap in the water. Avalon harbor is nasty. And the bait is fresh.

I got a scoop saturday morning and it lasted all day in a 22 gallon tank. He told me that it was choas earlier that morning with all the boats so I bet the bait is still really fresh.
    You were right - 100% - Avalon harbor patrol tried to give me a mooring over by the US tow boat jetty - I must have suck up some crap - got home and checked the bait tank filter and it was loaded with stink - anyway - bait was probably good - and bait pump got clogged

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    Well, we all learned something....Shit happens.....I'm glad we have first world problems to discuss....my bait died.....Been such a crappy year already....I'm glad you figured out what the problem was...now if I could get my new motor to run, my batteries to not be shit, and a my shifter cable to not stick.....I love the boat but man sometimes......

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Flaming Nacho is fucked up man hes one guy servicing hundreds of kooks a weekend, dealt with Nacho going on thirty years now even used to give him weed as a tip back in the day. Next time you bitch try putting the shoe on the other foot!

Upvote 0