N.I.B. SHIMANO TORSA 16...I'll probably regret it!

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
N.I.B. SHIMANO TORSA 16 (clamp,tool and manual are in the box.)

Unfortunately I have to part with my last NEW Torsa. Veterinary bills for my rescue dogs have gotten out of control so I need the cash.

The Torsas are my favorite reels for fishing Baja for light trolling, live bait, and bottom jig fishing. Incredible drag performance in a single speed (5.8 to 1 gear ratio) lever drag reel. When I started fishing Torsas I sold all my 2 speed reels. Then I tried the Talicas, and, after two trips, sold them and went back to my Torsas.

This particular reel was bought to keep for future use in the event one of my other Torsas gives up. It has never been used, never been on a boat, never seen water. I will be keeping the Torsas that I have fished the most, my 16N and another 16.

These reels are no longer made or available, but Shimano still services them. Parts are still available, but if you like these reels as much as I do you may want to talk to Shimano and order a few critical backup parts in the event that Shimano runs out.

The PROS of the reel are:
Extremely strong and durable.
Incredibly smooth drag.
High speed (5.8 to1) without loss of torque (I can’t explain how Shimano did it).

The CONS of the reels are:
Initial price over $700...definitely hurt original sale of the reel.
A little heavy...these are really solid reels and they feel like it.

My guess is that this reel will probably sell to someone on the East Coast where the reels are better understood and appreciated.

I am asking $775 for this reel. PayPal, f&f. Shipping and insurance on buyer.

Sometimes when one of these reels appears on BD, even used, a lot of banter and chatter spills out, so please make serious inquiries by PM. Thanks.

DSCF1578.jpg
DSCF1579.jpg
DSCF1581.jpg
DSCF1582.jpg
DSCF1583.jpg
DSCF1584.jpg
DSCF1585.jpg
DSCF1586.jpg
DSCF1587.jpg
DSCF1588.jpg
DSCF1589.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
A couple guys inquired about the dogs. I have time and space, so...
(some of the pics are from their younger years)

DODGER is a 15 YO Collie whose owner died 2 years ago. His family didn’t want the dog so I adopted him. He has AFib and arthritis. He is too old for pace maker surgery. His diagnostic costs this year are about $1500. His meds cost about $110 a month.

DSCF0367.jpg

TWIGS is a 14 YO Sheltie who was nearly kicked to death when she was a year old. She had many broken ribs, a damaged throat, and a severe concussion which has left her with some mild brain damage. She was on the table to be euthanized when I adopted her. Her medical and rehab costs were several thousand dollars. She has had a fairly healthy life, but now has congestive heart failure. Her emergency care and diagnostic costs in Nov and Dec came to just over $4000. Her meds cost about $150 a month.

100_0815.JPG

DUSTY, who has appeared in many of my posts, is an 11 YO black Pomeranian with an attitude. He was abandoned in a vacant house/yard when he was 18 months old, and lived at the Humane Society for nearly a year after that. Adopted several times and returned because of his hyperactivity, I brought him home about 9 years ago. He has chronic back and neck issues, and has recently developed an illness that has caused him to lose his hair, become very fatigued and listless, over react to touch as if having hyper nerve sensitivity, and spend a lot of time hiding in his “cave.” His diagnostic costs in the last 6 weeks are now over $2500, and the routine meds for his back and neck problems average about $70 a month.

opghboeondojchhb.jpg

CRICKET is the new puppy and is generally healthy except for allergies and “puppy costs” (shots, blood testing, neutering, etc) which have run about $500 in the last 8 weeks.

00808_4Mb8Hj3Lbi8_600x450.jpg

SAMI (7) and McGEE (9) are two other rescue Shelties, but they are healthy.

SAMI
DOGS SAMI PUPPY.JPG

McGEE

100_1215.jpg

The only one of the dogs who is “suffering” is Dusty, and we are still trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with him. The two older dogs with heart issues are not suffering or in pain, they just have grown old and slowed down. Me too.

Reactions: ColdEye
Upvote 0

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
They were introduced (2005) at a very high price point upward of $700. They were truly innovative in that they offered a relative high speed retrieve without giving up torque for cranking on big fish.

(I'm not an engineer so I can't give a mechanical explanation other than that it has to do with the relative size of the main and pinion gears. the right side of the reel was substantially large than the left side to accommodate the huge main gear and drag plate.)

The reels were heavy for single speeds, but built like a tank. Not a lot were sold because of the price point and no one ever really explained the reel. I bought one before a trip to Baja and fell in love. I came home and sold my 2 speed Internationals and Tiagras because the speed and power of the Torsa made the others look silly. Then I bought 2 more Torsas. You can't really explain this reel...you have to fish it.

The reels never took off except in pockets of the east coast where they do a lot of reef fishing and found the Torsa exceptional if you could afford one. Especially great for large amberjack and grouper, they also excel at light trolling, but are a little heavy for extended casting.

Shimano discontinued the reel (I think it was 2013) when the Talicas took off. Being a tackle and Shimano junkie I bought a couple Talicas. I took them on one trip to Baja, one trip to Panama, sold them and resurrected my Torsas.

Once Shimano discontinued the Torsa a small cult developed, mostly in Florida and the Carolina coast. Torsas are frequently found on eBay for "Buy It Now" prices of over $1000, though I doubt many sell at that price. A couple have been on BD at varying prices.

A few years after they were discontinued a customer service guy at Shimano told me that there was a tackle store in Pasadena that had a few Torsas left that were probably the last new ones on the west coast. I bought two reels to store for the time that my old Torsas "wore" out. I also bought about $180 were of parts that might need replacement in the future.

Unfortunately my oId rescue dogs and I (I'm 77) have worn out before my Torsas so it is time move on.

When I do go to Baja, the first 3 reels in my bag are a Trinidad 20A, a Torsa 16N, and a Torsa 16.

I sold one new Torsa for $800 a few months ago and have one new reel left to sell. If it doesn't sell I'll just hang on to it and hope I live and fish until I'm 90.

I know that this is more info than you wanted, but..........

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdEye and morfius
Upvote 0

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
They were introduced at a very high price point upward of $700. They were truly innovative in that they offered a relative high speed retrieve without giving up torque for cranking on big fish.

(I'm not an engineer so I can't give a mechanical explanation other than that it has to do with the relative size of the main and pinion gears. the right side of the reel was substantially large than the left side to accommodate the huge main gear and drag plate.)

The reels were heavy for single speeds, but built like a tank. Not a lot were sold because of the price point and no one ever really explained the reel. I bought one before a trip to Baja and fell in love. I came home and sold my 2 speed Internationals and Tiagras because the speed and power of the Torsa made the others look silly. Then I bought 2 more Torsas. You can't really explain this reel...you have to fish it.

The reels never took off except in pockets of the east coast where they do a lot of reef fishing and found the Torsa exceptional if you could afford one. Especially great for large amberjack and grouper, they also excel at light trolling, but are a little heavy for extended casting.

Shimano discontinued the reel (I think it was 2013) when the Talicas took off. Being a tackle and Shimano junkie I bought a couple Talicas. I took them on one trip to Baja, one trip to Panama, sold them and resurrected my Torsas.

Once Shimano discontinued the Torsa a small cult developed, mostly in Florida and the Carolina coast. Torsas are frequently found on eBay for "Buy It Now" prices of over $1000, though I doubt many sell at that price. A couple have been on BD at varying prices.

A few years after they were discontinued a customer service guy at Shimano told me that there was a tackle store in Pasadena that had a few Torsas left that were probably the last new ones on the west coast. I bought two reels to store for the time that my old Torsas "wore" out. I also bought about $180 were of parts that might need replacement in the future.

Unfortunately my oId rescue dogs and I (I'm 77) have worn out before my Torsas so it is time move on.

When I do go to Baja, the first 3 reels in my bag are a Trinidad 20A, a Torsa 16N, and a Torsa 16.

I sold one new Torsa for $800 a few months ago and have one new reel left to sell. If it doesn't sell I'll just hang on to it and hope I live and fish until I'm 90.

I know that this is more info than you wanted, but..........

Appreciate you taking the time for a thorough explanation. Sounds like a great reel at a good price. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
T.....Sorry for early bump, but where did all those really old threads come from that moved all current posts to back pages?

Upvote 0

Reel Stamas

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2010
PCB, FL.
Name
Dr. John
Boat
27' Stamas- Reel Stamas
Have you considered a 'go fund me' page ? Seems to work for people w/a good story (like yours)

Upvote 0

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Thanks for the idea guys, but I think I figured out another way to quickly raise some funds that will get me out of this temporary hole.

I co-own a collectable car that I had forgotten about. My partner in the car has a buyer who will pay a very fair price for the car and he has cash.

I'm not hurting financially in the long term. I just have a temporary cash flow problem and this deal should solve it.

But I will still sell the TORSA if somebody wants it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0