jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
30’ Osprey
Looking for some ideas, currently I am getting an incredibly random alarm (8 beep). I can’t seem to isolate what conditions that make it trigger. If I’m sitting engines off I’ll be good for hours, running, or on plane sometime I’ll get an hour or so before the alarm kicks off, sometimes it’s almost constant.

it’s definitely running through the nema network as I can control the audible volume through my sonic hub *if it’s on. With the sonic hub off, the alarm go the engine buzzer.

The alarm doesn’t appear to have affected any of my equipment and everything seems to be functioning fine. Voltage is good, grounds are good, plugs all tight etc.

Both my Suzuki engines have the digital C10 display and have an alarm history, neither one of those has an alarm logged. I also checked the manual and I couldn’t find an 8 beep alarm.

all of my Simrad MFD’s I have checked for alarm history and they also have no alarms logged.

Anyone dealt with something similar? I’m guessing there is some next level nema stuff that can be looked at, other than what my MFDs are telling me?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
30’ Osprey
I’ve got three plotters, I’ve tried running with different combinations of plotters on and off. That haven’t seemed to make a difference.

I haven’t tried no plotters at all, maybe that might narrow it down.

I don’t have a CO detector, but I probably should. I’ll have to add that to the list.

Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
30’ Osprey
I feel like a “maretron USB gateway and a N2K analyzer software” is something I might need in my life.

any recommendations on where to get one?

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Can you go into your chart plotter and look under the 2000 network menus to find the 2000 messages it sees on the network? Usually if you select the 2000 device it will show you what messages it sees from that device.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
I don’t know much about Suzuki But when I’ve seen intermittent alarms like that it was water in the fuel filter, not enough to trip it permanently but when it sloshed around it would trip.

you have those new fancy engines nes maybe it’s your key fob battery, ha ha

jasper hickman
jasper hickman
I guess you can get wireless key fobs for them, I’ll have to check that off the list. That would be par for the course 😂
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Wow. Sounds like a major pain in the ass. If it makes you feel any better, we spent 45-60 minutes tearing crap apart looking for the “running pump” a couple weeks ago. Sounded like a dry bilge pump running in the bow of my stbd sponson. I knew we didn’t put a bilge pump up there…turned out it was a boat in the float across from me!!!! Damn sound travelled well through the water. I felt like a total idiot. 😂😂😂

Upvote 0

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Wow. Sounds like a major pain in the ass. If it makes you feel any better, we spent 45-60 minutes tearing crap apart looking for the “running pump” a couple weeks ago. Sounded like a dry bilge pump running in the bow of my stbd sponson. I knew we didn’t put a bilge pump up there…turned out it was a boat in the float across from me!!!! Damn sound travelled well through the water. I felt like a total idiot. 😂😂😂
Now I know I’m not the only one that does stupid shit like this. I think I’ve created about 20 % of the messes I’ve dealt with 🤦‍♂️

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Interesting issue. if i remember, on a lot of DF’s, 8 beeps is the oil pressure sensor. code 5-3 or 3-5. (I have no idea what engine(s) you have)

This said it would/should be a traceable alarm; especially since it happens semi-regularly.

But it remains to be proven it’s an engine induced alarm. Are you able to throttle down/stop/restart/throttle up the engine(s) and have the beeping continue after restart? (Probably hard to do in a lot of situations.)

Time to start in the middle; disconnect and isolate which half MFD/NEMA/Network or engine?

Reactions: jasper hickman
jasper hickman
jasper hickman
I’ve got 2, DF350’s. It’s 8 beeps in a constant cadence, it sounds like all the Suzuki codes have different beep codes. I would think any engine alarms would be displayed and stored in the alarm history? Maybe I’m wrong on that?

the alarm seems to have no effect on the engines or controls or anything, other than cut the tunes and beep.

sometimes it won’t go off for hours, sometimes every few minutes.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
I noticed the same thing parked out in WP , I was crawling around trying to figure it out, I figured it was something the seafood shop had running making its way through the water, annoying when your trying to sleep:)

Reactions: wdlfbio
Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Could it be an oil change warning. I had that on my Suzuki and you have to pull out the safety landyard switch three times to reset or maybe hold out for ten seconds. Check online

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    The irregularity of the alarm is the question… oil change indicator (hours based) would trigger after every start until reset.

This said need to find the 350 code table AND what happens; because on some codes an idle down will be automatic; and obviously that’s not happening. (Having someone scan the engine would help a bunch.)

The gremlin nature of the alarm is the puzzling. Given there are no alarm indicators on the C10, it seems odd. could be electrical.

Below is a table with the older style gauges that just have the alarm light. (not sure it applies to the df350 but this zuke forum has some gurus, is helpful; better quality than THT)

—————
    From Suzuki outboard parts website:

Suzuki diagnostic codes​

01-20-2017, 10:57 PM

Current list of more common Diagnostic Codes for Suzuki 4 strokes

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor 1 3-4
    Cylinder Temperature Sensor 1-4
    Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 2-3
    Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor 4-2
    Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor 2-4
    Air intake system 2-2
    Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor 2 3-2
    Fuel injector 4-3
    Throttle position sensor 2-1
    Shift position sensor 1-2
    Overcharging (regulator/rectifier) 1-1
    Oil pressure switch 5-3
    Idle air control (IAC) valve 3-1

Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat
    30’ Osprey
    Mystery solved! After going over everything many times I got it narrowed down to the IPad and Navionics.

Basically I had the IPad networked via WiFI to my Simrad equipment. With the Navionics app I could see AIS data, depth from my sonar etc. However I didn’t have the Navionics charts installed my Simrad equipment and if I dug through enough pages I found that I was getting an incomplete sync.

I killed the WIFI connection and that killed the random alarm as well, 4 days on water without my mystery beep so I’m fairly sure that was the issue.

Upvote 0