Shade42087

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 7, 2018
Lompoc
Name
Mike
Boat
Yes plz
Hey guys, this isn't a report I looked for an appropriate place to put it and ended up here, so if its not in the right spot, I apologize. Anywho, rented a house at lake Shasta ca (the actual town name is Lakehead Ca). I've fished Clear lake since 2015, but this year Shasta lake was more appealing to my LARGE family group that wanted to join. I'm currently not geared whatsoever for trout or salmon fishing, and I sold my small boat about a year ago. So I basically was just hoping to hear of some personal experiences here. I'm an avid bass fisherman, and I have done a lot of native trout fishing in streams, but I'm slightly concerned since I can't find many reports from Shasta online, and I'm not sure how the bite is or what to expect. Was also entertaining the thought of renting a boat for a day. ANY feedback is welcome and I hope to hear from you guys!

stella marina

Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
I've had great catches , and not so great catches...work the pit and mccloud arm for trout focus on bait balls. For bass I've had incredible catches trolling the shoreline with rebel crawdad crankbaits ticking the bottom focus on points people always asked what we're doing, unconventional I know, but it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shade42087

Shade42087

Apr 7, 2018
Lompoc
Name
Mike
Boat
Yes plz
I've had great catches , and not so great catches...work the pit and mccloud arm for trout focus on bait balls. For bass I've had incredible catches trolling the shoreline with rebel crowded crankbaits ticking the bottom fococ on points people always asked what we're doing, unconventional I know, but it works.
Hey well its an unconventional place! Thank you, I truly appreciate it.

MarineDieselDr.

Well-Known "Member"
May 18, 2013
NPB
Name
Erik
Boat
35 skipjack
I have always done well up the Pit arm. My dad and I would travel up into the arm about 2.5 hours at trolling speed. Once we were deep enough we would find our boat speed dropping as the water from the pit river would start to hold us up. Thats where it gets good. If you travel far enough you will get to 5+ miles per hour of water flow. The trout will be there and in numbers. We usually get to a turn just before the bridge. Rocky bottom, large fish and limits every time.
We always did well on smaller split rapala type jigs with orange bellies.

Have fun and keep in mind, not many people travel up that arm that far.

Jones valley is where we would launch from.

Shade42087

Apr 7, 2018
Lompoc
Name
Mike
Boat
Yes plz
I have always done well up the Pit arm. My dad and I would travel up into the arm about 2.5 hours at trolling speed. Once we were deep enough we would find our boat speed dropping as the water from the pit river would start to hold us up. Thats where it gets good. If you travel far enough you will get to 5+ miles per hour of water flow. The trout will be there and in numbers. We usually get to a turn just before the bridge. Rocky bottom, large fish and limits every time.
We always did well on smaller split rapala type jigs with orange bellies.

Have fun and keep in mind, not many people travel up that arm that far.

Jones valley is where we would launch from.
Can't thank you enough for the info.

Reactions: MarineDieselDr.

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
I don't have personal experience for Shasta, we prefer the smaller higher elevation lakes in that region. Shasta is huge, try going on Fish Sniffer, mostly a Norcal site, there's some guys on there that fish Shasta and have it dialed. You didn't say when your heading up, but in summer its freck'n Africa hot there. Went by the Lake last month and it's in great shape with the water level high, enjoy you trip,,,gregg

Reactions: Shade42087

Shade42087

Apr 7, 2018
Lompoc
Name
Mike
Boat
Yes plz
I don't have personal experience for Shasta, we prefer the smaller higher elevation lakes in that region. Shasta is huge, try going on Fish Sniffer, mostly a Norcal site, there's some guys on there that fish Shasta and have it dialed. You didn't say when your heading up, but in summer its freck'n Africa hot there. Went by the Lake last month and it's in great shape with the water level high, enjoy you trip,,,gregg
Awesome I'll get to the fishsniffer site when I go to lunch! I'm going June 7th-11th. Thank you!

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Hey Mike: I have fished Shasta extensively for 20+ years...never for trout or salmon, always for bass (both tournaments and for fun). These days its primarily a fishery for spotted bass (90% of your catch); smallmouth (8%), largemoulth (2%). 100+ fish days are common. Rent a boat! Fish the McCloud arm...Packers Bay...the Pit...main lake areas from the I-5 bridge to the east. If I had only two rods to fish, I would dropshot 4-6" worms on 6lb florocarbon, and also have a crankbait rod for the last 1/2 hour of the day before dark...can be frickin awesome (fish and throw parallel to the shoreline). Do yourself a favor (if bass is your goal) and stop by Phil's Prop Shop just north of Redding. Those guys have that lake dialed in, and they can point you in the right direction...awesome tackle shop too. PM me if you want some details.

DMcD

Shade42087

Apr 7, 2018
Lompoc
Name
Mike
Boat
Yes plz
Hey Mike: I have fished Shasta extensively for 20+ years...never for trout or salmon, always for bass (both tournaments and for fun). These days its primarily a fishery for spotted bass (90% of your catch); smallmouth (8%), largemoulth (2%). 100+ fish days are common. Rent a boat! Fish the McCloud arm...Packers Bay...the Pit...main lake areas from the I-5 bridge to the east. If I had only two rods to fish, I would dropshot 4-6" worms on 6lb florocarbon, and also have a crankbait rod for the last 1/2 hour of the day before dark...can be frickin awesome (fish and throw parallel to the shoreline). Do yourself a favor (if bass is your goal) and stop by Phil's Prop Shop just north of Redding. Those guys have that lake dialed in, and they can point you in the right direction...awesome tackle shop too. PM me if you want some details.

DMcD
Wow man, Thanks a lot. Really generous of you to share this info with me! I am an avid bass fisherman down here and I am really excited now to hear of your success. I am definitely going to rent a boat and hit the arms. Thanks, and I will most likely take you up on that PM!

Reactions: MarineDieselDr.