Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Cancelled trips, 3 of them on bigger boats for this season. 8 day in June, 7 day in August and the 10 day in October. I’m 71 and smoked for 50+ years. Have a mild set of lung conditions, emphysema and COPD. And, wife doesn’t want me to chance it, especially with a year and a half old grandson, don’t want to chance exposing the family or myself.

But, I was happy to get notified of a cancellation on the Game Changer, opportunity for a 3 day charter, six anglers and I believe three crew (captain, deck tech, and chef. All inclusive, just show up, backpack of clothes. Contacted about a dozen friends and acquaintances, let’s do it! All replied either too much respect for the virus or other plans. Guess I’ll fish Trout. :)

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Well Steve, it ain't just you. My annual Memorial Day 3 dayer got cancelled and I've turned down at least three other trips due to Covid concerns. As good as the fishing has been, there are just too many people dependent upon me and I just don't feel comfortable being in close quarters with so many who think its just a "little flu" and won't take safety precautions.

I'm still planning on going on an annual 10 day in October and am considering doing things like eating meals outside and fishing odd hours if I'm uncomfortable with the way others are reacting to the situation (I can't imagine that anything I say onboard will change their minds and don't intend to open that can of worms).

The fish will be here next year and the years after that...I want to be sure that I'll also be here to catch them.

Russ Scholl

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Cancelled trips, 3 of them on bigger boats for this season. 8 day in June, 7 day in August and the 10 day in October. I’m 71 and smoked for 50+ years. Have a mild set of lung conditions, emphysema and COPD. And, wife doesn’t want me to chance it, especially with a year and a half old grandson, don’t want to chance exposing the family or myself.

But, I was happy to get notified of a cancellation on the Game Changer, opportunity for a 3 day charter, six anglers and I believe three crew (captain, deck tech, and chef. All inclusive, just show up, backpack of clothes. Contacted about a dozen friends and acquaintances, let’s do it! All replied either too much respect for the virus or other plans. Guess I’ll fish Trout. :)
You made the right decision Steve.I was lucky enough to go on a 16 day in January before the virus got going but I am going to miss the 8 day I had scheduled leaving 7/27. The upside is my wife said go on 3 trips in 2021!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Thanks for the replies. We lead pretty comfortable lives. Jan and I joined two friends from San Diego, Joe and Susan, for a 14 day cruise, south from San Diego with three stops along the way. Snorkeling, kayaking and zip lining then through the Panama Canal. Finished up in Miami and decompressed four days in the Keys. No complaints.

Dates were February 1-14 and then the Keys. Flew home on the 18th. Dodged the bullet on the virus, I even managed a trip to the Long Beach Fred.

Last edited:

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Thanks for the replies. We lead pretty comfortable lives. Jan and I joined two friends from San Diego, Joe and Susan, for a 14 day cruise, south from San Diego with three stops along the way. Snorkeling, kayaking and zip lining then through the Panama Canal. Finished up in Miami and decompressed four days in the Keys. No complaints.

Dates were February 1-14 and then the Keys. Dodged the bullet on the virus, I even managed a trip to the Long Beach Fred.
missing my 5 day on the rooster this coming week. Thought about an 8 day in October but could not stand the guilt if I brought covid home. A missed trip is nothing compared to what so many are going through

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Steve my brother. I am not fishing these days. Its always better to be safe than sorry. For those of you that our doing trips or waiting for upcoming trips I will be at my home cheering you on wishing I was able to join you. I cancelled 6 trips and I am in the wait and see stage right now. Good luck to those that can go fishing as some of us just have to shelter in place for now. Someday will share the rail again.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Just rebook for late November or December, have a feeling the virus will be better by then!
Hoping those lab rats work their stuff and come up with a suitable vaccine to protect us. I’ll be getting a flu shot again this fall.

Would be great if it happens December/January. Then I’d be looking for a long trip somewhere.

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Steve my brother. I am not fishing these days. Its always better to be safe than sorry. For those of you that our doing trips or waiting for upcoming trips I will be at my home cheering you on wishing I was able to join you. I cancelled 6 trips and I am in the wait and see stage right now. Good luck to those that can go fishing as some of us just have to shelter in place for now. Someday will share the rail again.
We are sure going to miss you in January Soda. Hope you and Ms. Pop stay safe.

Reactions: Soda Pop

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
Steve what ever it takes for all of us to get back to normal right! My recent wedding and honeymoon was filled with difficulties from this pandemic. We should all appreciate what we already have in our lives and do what’s right too keep it.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Not fishing and traveling with the wife this year is killing me‐-------- financially. With the wifey not being able to travel she is having 2 bathrooms remodeled, making me paint, ( fuck! I hate painting ) and having granite countertops installed thru out the house. And purchase new formal dining room set, new bedroom furniture for the guest bedroom, and new living room furniture. Ethan Allen is killing me.
Oh, and we live in a new house.

cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A

Hey bud ..
Respect you’re decision..
As for me.., who knows what next years gonna bring. I too am old (68) had cancer and many more bumps in the road along the way.. going for another test next week, .. seems like I live to get out there on the blue , That’s where I come alive .
I build rods and tackle every Obsessed with the thought of the next trip, next big fish. (For me and only for me)I’m not gonna get caught up in the fear of this shit. Not gonna let it control my existence. I’m going if they’ll let me on the boat..
Who knows how many more shots I’ll get..
Too Much fear in my opinion..
Wife’s sister came over the other week, wouldn’t even hug her own sister because of fear..
NOT HOW I WANNA LIVE MY LIFE..
Tight lines, hope we get some rail time together again soon..

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Hey bud ..
As for me.., who knows what next years gonna bring. I too am old (68) had cancer and many more bumps in the road along the way.. going for another test next week, .. seems like I live to get out there on the blue , That’s where I come alive .
I build rods and tackle every Obsessed with the thought of the next trip, next big fish. (For me and only for me)I’m not gonna get caught up in the fear of this shit. Not gonna let it control my existence. I’m going if they’ll let me on the boat..
Wife’s sister came over the other week, wouldn’t even hug her own sister because of fear..
That would be my approach also if I were living alone but my wife has 3 risk factors.

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Well Steve, at least your not alone here. I’ve talked to several others and some feel the are more invisible than others. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that don’t respect others and think so what. It is what it is. I’m with you my friend. I’m still signed up for my October trip but who knows what will happen by then. At least you can go trout fishing or wash your braid in the lake 🤣😂🤪. Stay safe and enjoy your family.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Hey bud ..
You know Jake, if the vaccine is available by then, I’ll hop on that trip, too.

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Not fishing and traveling with the wife this year is killing me‐-------- financially. With the wifey not being able to travel she is having 2 bathrooms remodeled, making me paint, ( fuck! I hate painting ) and having granite countertops installed thru out the house. And purchase new formal dining room set, new bedroom furniture for the guest bedroom, and new living room furniture. Ethan Allen is killing me.
Oh, and we live in a new house.
Best post today

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Well Steve, at least your not alone here. I’ve talked to several others and some feel the are more invisible than others. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that don’t respect others and think so what. It is what it is. I’m with you my friend. I’m still signed up for my October trip but who knows what will happen by then. At least you can go trout fishing or wash your braid in the lake 🤣😂🤪. Stay safe and enjoy your family.
Llooks like your trip is full right now

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I'm just hoping our annual 8 day on the Vagabond is still a go in October....I'm not worried about the <insert what ever name you want to call it> virus. I have a robust immune system, I'm sure if I get it, I'll kick it. However, my wife........not so much. So, I think that upon my return, if we go, I'll be self quarantining in my motorhome for 10-14 days............out at superstition with my can-am.

:D

Reactions: cow man

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Got my fingers crossed for the Accurate 14 day in Jan. Sent in $$ to AA office last week. Its the only thing I have to look forward too at the moment. Passed on Fred Hall Long Beach for Del Mar show so lost out on my annual shopping spree. Dove opener trip to Yuma is probably cancelled due to Covid and my green bass trips to Barrett were sunk when the City cut lake budgets. Wish Bishop/Mammoth were a little closer, wouldn't mind taking a long weekend to do some trout fishing up your way.

Reactions: Steve K

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I'm just hoping our annual 8 day on the Vagabond is still a go in October....I'm not worried about the <insert what ever name you want to call it> virus. I have a robust immune system, I'm sure if I get it, I'll kick it. However, my wife........not so much. So, I think that upon my return, if we go, I'll be self quarantining in my motorhome for 10-14 days............out at superstition with my can-am.

:D
A buddy and I are on the Vag 10-day leaving Oct 30. It keeps going from "wait list" to 2 spots open, to "wait list" then 1 spot open. Currently is shows 3 spots open! I'm driving out from Albuquerque instead of flying. Rather do 12 hours solo on the road than 2 hours with 100 other people in a plane.

Reactions: MarioC and RichG