Offshore My very first bluefin tuna

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
just got my very first bluefin tunaxevee. 10 miles put of morro Bay. Trolling cedar plugs way back. 10mph.

Resized_IMG_0291.jpeg

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Awesome. Now, time for some bibs and grunden shoes 😂😂😂

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Ivwentv1 forc4 today all. Same area. Lost one rt at boT when I went to gaff. It shot straight down spooling line. Then popped. The other 2 fought about halfway and popped

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Well, while fighting, you could feel them run and shake. After about 10 mins or so it just felt like line broke but still had plugs after reeling in. Thats what I meant by popping off. I think after someone let me know that I may have stretched the hook hole and it came out or pulled through.

Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2007
Central California
Name
Karl
Boat
15ft Western Aluminum
Yeah, shit happens with those things, they pull hard. Glad you weren’t breaking off. Nice to put one in the boat. Lots of guys on the radio crying about breaking off on 80lb. Come on guys, time to tie some better knots.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Did you see any albies?
no, i didnt even see any jumpers, foamers or life. no maeks ect. just kept in a 2 mile tack back and forth. lots reported jumpers ect but no takers. no albies, but im tempte to run out west maybe donut area since we have loys warm water out there then troll back in.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Nice Penn 115. Oh, and nice fish too! Way to find em and get em.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK
thats a diawa sealine 900h with 80lb mono. on a 5ft old school baby boomer rod. i had 2 of these and 2 baby boomer juniors with sealine 600h on them. but sold one set. i then switched up to a seeker rod with penn fthm 25nld2 for a better chance at not pulling so stiff. but all 4 hook ups were same rod, same plug. lol

Reactions: Omarkayak
Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Yeah, shit happens with those things, they pull hard. Glad you weren’t breaking off. Nice to put one in the boat. Lots of guys on the radio crying about breaking off on 80lb. Come on guys, time to tie some better knots.
thanks, yeah we didnt break any off. those rods i had were too much but worked. just in case of any 80lbers i wanted to at least have a shot. yeah, i heard all the hollaring and fuss too. lots fish caught friday. had quite few boats on my area and sat many ran north as a buddy of mine there hooked up 80lber on live mac slow troll. he didnt do any good sat either. saw the jumpers but no takers. what i think happend is since we had heavy duty gear we may have just ripped the hole bigger and stretched it and hook came out. the one at the boat i missed with gaff. second time it got rt nxt to boat and before i could gaff it shot down, fought back up then rt at boat it just popped. plug came out and my son fell flat and i watchd it slowly swim down. i was about a ft short trying to gaff it after. was my sons first ever too. but its all gd. we will be back in day or two.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
I was right off your port side when you got that one. I know because I heard you on the radio when it landed. Man you sounded happy! Congrats!!!
yeah, i was seriously stoked. i been south chasing them foamers all over out dana. 3 trips a month for 3 monyjs. lots of fuel and i spent at least few grand on some gear and lures to try. i had few hook ups like this trolling the mackerael cedar plugs, 2 were sharks and bit 80lb stock leade in half. one shark we got in, the only one we thought was bf fought like these and was heavy. it pulled as well. so after all the time and money chasing them, plus the cost and time i spent on my outboard conversion it all paid off. i thought about jumping on a charter but man i sure like the accomplishment from doing it on my own. but ill be clear, this site and all you guys are why it happened. all the friendly info shared here helped me through every step pf my conversion to complete rebuild to my fist bf .

Upvote 0

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
World Cat 270EC: The Millennium Flounder
nice job!
because of their length and head weight, cedar plugs are notorious for leveraging out of the fish. One solution, if you’re doing so well on cedars, is to pull the needle eye hook and use a drill to widen the hole out the back of the cedar plug significantly. Make a notch in the back, for a standard live bait hook to fit into. Now put a 10/0 or 12/0 live bait hook on your cedar plug rig and nestle the bend into the notch you created at the ass end of the plug.
You can tune your plug on a spare section of line prior to making your notch in the back. Personally, I like to orient the hook point to the sky instead of like a keel to the tuned plug.
now you will get not only roof of the mouth hookups more often, but the cedar can slide up the line freely during the fight and have less leverage on pulling the hookset out.
Has served me well over the years…I don’t fish cedars or troll much these days however

Reactions: John Stidman