Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
So, we got unpaid furlough days at work. Rather than bitch about it, we (Meaning me, Kyle, my wife, and my in-laws) rolled up to Mammoth for 5 days. Lots of great fishing, including my father-in-law teaching us how to fly fish and float tube. Best of all, for Father's Day, Kyle gave me an wonderful duck decoy he made out of cedar and worked on all year in woodshop.

Anyway, onto the report. 1st night, we off-loaded the baggage and got the Owens at sunset. The water is still high, but clear and cold. Soaked salmon eggs, powerbait, and spinners for nada. Never been skunked there, but it happens!

Next day, we get our first taste of fly fishing on float tubes. We went down to Crowley off of Alligator Point. I nailed my finest rainbow trolling a streamer at about 15'. End to end, it measured just over 21 inches. I would guess it was in the 4 to 4.5 lb class. Kyle tore up the Sacramento Perch, with a couple in the 2 lb range.

Day 3 saw us at Convict Lake doing damage on the DFG plants. Plenty of hook-ups in the 1 lb range. We closed the day on Convict Creek with a couple more nice Rainbows with my father-in-law getting broke off as he grabbed the leader on a huge Alpers trout. I'd say it was a conservative 5 lb'er and absolutley beautiful with it's dark colors.

Next day I enjoyed some quality time with my wife while Kyle and my father-in-law worked the Owens. Most of the afternoon was spent teaching Kyle how to cast dry flies. They hooked up one nice brown. Early evening, I grabbed Kyle for some shore action up at Lake George. Nice pan sized trout, but nothing great.

Final day, we hit Lake George again in the early a.m. for some good action. Total of about 8 fish in 1.5 hours. All were 1-2 lbs. We saw some huge cruisers, but none were buying what we were selling... All in all, plenty of good fishing, though not as wide open as other times. All fish were catch and release.

Managed to fit in some great mountain biking and relaxing as well. Pics are Kyle with one of his sac Perch; My <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> Rainbow; a Lake George scenic; Me and Kyle with my Father's Day gift; one of many DFG rainbows.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend>
</fieldset>

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat Name
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
great report curtis,im on my way up july 10th for 10 days with lynnie and all my nephews and their families.how was the weather?did you make it over to june lake loop?

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Mark, the weather was awesome. Temp today was about 80 in Mammoth. Didn't fish the loop, jus did a scenic drive with my wife so we could eat at the Mobil Station in Lee Vining. Talked to the guys at Eddie's in June lake. They are seeing real good action on June and Gull right now. All the standard stuff is working. Grant seemed seriously low to me. Also hear Bridgeport Res and Walker River are good right now. Youll have an awesome time either way!

Upvote 0

fatbass

Apr 24, 2004
Cardiff
Name
Chad
Boat Name
Red Rooster III
Nice report, looked like a blast. I'm headed up there July 14th for 5 days with my 3 year old and 5 year old. Want to find some steady action to keep them interested, what would be my best bet, driving up to June loop? Chad

Upvote 0