Offshore My Season So Far.... MULTIPLE Super Cows and much much more!!!!

PENN
Sep 3, 2014
North SLO county
Name
keith iaia
Boat
Gregor Baja skiff 'Tin Man'
The argument that we should kill them HERE, before they get a chance to kill them over THERE holds no water. It is a short sighted approach to the issue, and one that history teaches us is doomed to failure. I'm all for reasonable quotas that allow for a heathy sport industry but lets also (for once) take the time to understand what is happening, and where its all headed. Its all about the balance....

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
Billy, your attention to detail, proper preparation and just good fish sense was apparent from the time you first came on the SoCal offshore scene. Congratulations on another great season and it certainly isn’t over yet. Continued success with your business. You are truly doing it right

Reactions: Huntersmoon
Upvote 0

BYOB

Dec 23, 2018
Bodega Bay
Name
Should have been here yesterday
Boat
Whaler revenge
Holy Cow!
What an awesome season.
Us Nor Cal fisherman have seen a good salmon season this year, Bluefin caught In Monterey some White Sea Bass in SF Bay and Albacore out if Fort Bragg last weekend.
But wow you guys have been seeing some serious good stuff for the last few years. Time to head south!

Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Let's agree to disagree . I suppose we should spare the few fish for Japan to slaughter shortly thereafter. I deserve to harvest a fish or two as much as anyone so go hug a tree or something .

Catch all the bluefin you want, I know first hand how hard is to catch them but what are your resources when you make an argument? When you say they are being slaughtered in Japan you should provide some data or sources, I know Japan has a commercial hook and line program just like East coast fishery

Reactions: Huntersmoon
Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Catch all the bluefin you want, I know first hand how hard is to catch them but what are your resources when you make an argument? When you say they are being slaughtered in Japan you should provide some data or sources, I know Japan has a commercial hook and line program just like East coast fishery
OK. Got it man . DATA . That sounds extremely fun . I will get on that .

Upvote 0

Huntersmoon

Almost A Member
Jan 8, 2006
here
Name
nombre
Boat
no

I attended a seminar this year specifically about the local bluefin and their patterns. The marine biologist said the data gathering is still in progress, as the bluefin heads were a key part of the study. He did conclude no spawning has been documented here off California, and its still taking place in Japanese waters. Generally the fish make the crossing when a few years old. He did mention the japanese fishery is decimating the population, not so much from tonnage as it is the hook and line commercial fishery being focused on taking 2-5lb fish.
My personal theory is the survival instincts of the species realizes sufficient numbers are not being produced after the spawn, due to the commercial activity over decades, so they are establishing another spawn location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Predatormonster
Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
I attended a seminar this year specifically about the local bluefin and their patterns. The marine biologist said the data gathering is still in progress, as the bluefin heads were a key part of the study. He did conclude no spawning has been documented here off California, and its still taking place in Japanese waters. Generally the fish make the crossing when a few years old. He did mention the japanese fishery is decimating the population, not so much from tonnage as it is the hook and line commercial fishery being focused on taking 2-5lb fish.
My personal theory is the survival instincts of the species realizes sufficient numbers are not being produced after the spawn, due to the commercial activity over decades, so they are establishing another spawn location.

Hook and line fishery targets cows generally, not small fish. They use live bait slowly trolled on hand lines. The bait used normally averages 2 lb, mostly being live young amberjack. There is a show in Japan that is the equivalent of “wicked tuna”. I wat h it every Sunday evening

Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
IMO the average size is half that. The fish caught by sportboats were 20-60lbs. Right now it's 20lbs.
Yes, a few cows on highline boats but most anglers don't have the skill or gear to catch them on the sport boats to get trip limits like they do. But yeah it does count.
I think any big game should have a tag-out program like hunting.
Where would the 20# come from , Japan or Mexico or?
In other words, where / when would a fish that size have been bred, how old ?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
SOLID WORK BILLY...Glad you and everyone onboard had a
great season. I'm still on the DL with this shoulder issue and
always grateful to see posts and pics like yours. TC.
I still may get out late season, but don't bet on it. LOL

Upvote 0

BernardMP

Tailhunter
Aug 2, 2010
Name
Tailhunter
Boat
N/A
As always, its been an interesting season to say the least. There is something very special about bluefin tuna that always seem to captivate me. Not just the catches, but even the trips that we dont catch that always ends up with our minds asking more questions about this elusive creature. But as much as I share my success, its the failures that are even more important. From tackle failures, to different kite trials, to bait rigging, to boat maneuverability, there are so many aspects that come into play into landing these giant tuna in our back yards.

Earlier this year, I started to do bluefin tuna seminars sharing all my secrets, notes, and data that Ive been collecting over the years and to those that went.... many have caught their personal best and were able to see what I do on the water. I will have more seminars coming up in 2020.

Then came this 2019 season which we all anticipated big tuna. At first, it did have somewhat of a slow start, but our first triple digit came around.....in June. Good things were to come.

From foamer fishing to bait fishing to rubber flyers, to dead flyers to flat falls to colt snipers.... there was always a proper time to use each method. I am proud to say I am the one of the ONLY captains on the west coast to share my GPS numbers on my trips and do tutorials of all my methods, riggings, and everything I know. Cant say how many people it has helped with this fishery. Sure, many people hate me for this, but more people enjoy it so I will continue to do what I do.

We've had over about 4 over 300, biggest being 311lbs taped. Countless over 200, and so many in the 100 plus range. My best stretch was 3 trips with back to back to back limits of all big grade bluefin for my clients.

Theres no doubt that using the kite with rubber and dead flying fish has been the hot ticket. Whether dropping it on breezer, foamers, or meter marks, it has played a crucial role. Commercial helium and 50w size reels are almost mandatory in our arsenal. For my trips, I always have 2 electrical reels, preferably shimano forcemaster and a beast master, and 3 Talica 50 set ups. Stellas are all provided for all my clients during those top water action days. These are no longer the coffee grinders of the past, but the tools we use today to help us cast and catch. Its not needed, but just makes it easier to cast in certain scenarios.

enough with my words........here are some pics to share of my season so far...... Whether its my boat or yours...... making these big tuna dreams possible.

(sorry if some pics are duplicate)

Thanks for following me through my journey.

View attachment 1059928 View attachment 1059929 View attachment 1059930 View attachment 1059931 View attachment 1059932 View attachment 1059933 View attachment 1059934 View attachment 1059935 View attachment 1059936 View attachment 1059937 View attachment 1059938 View attachment 1059939 View attachment 1059940 View attachment 1059941 View attachment 1059942 View attachment 1059943 View attachment 1059944 View attachment 1059945 View attachment 1059946 View attachment 1059947 View attachment 1059948 View attachment 1059949 View attachment 1059950 View attachment 1059951 View attachment 1059952 View attachment 1059953 View attachment 1059954 View attachment 1059955 View attachment 1059956 View attachment 1059957 View attachment 1059958 View attachment 1059959
Good stuff wish I had a chance at tuna like this.

Upvote 0