Rusty123

Yep
Mar 7, 2019
Long Beach
Name
Rusty
Boat
Bayliner cuddy
Headed out of LB with 2 buddies and got half scoop of sardines, got to the west side of Cat around 830am, not many boats around at all, strange i thought. Tons of Calico caught around the cranes and the orange raft, i was tired of losing all my live baits so we decided to troll and it looked like a bunch of other boats feeling the same trolling, no luck heading towards the back. Chucked my irons for most of the day with no takers, tried my blue/chrome yoyo, tried a sardine colored 4/0, tried a 120g coltsniper. Nothing for me. Headed to front side mid island and anchored up next to 2 lucky dudes in a little Whaler, they managed to hook 2 YT on sardines, looked around 10lbs, no luck for us. My irons didnt even get chased.

All we hooked were a ton of short Calico, 4 legal around 16” and up, 1 Barracuda that got eaten real quick by a sea lion as soon as we released it, dog came out of nowhere. Headed back to the ramp about 2:30, so nice sized chop all the way home.

I dont know where all the fish went, but it was obvious they werent near us, all the sport boats and privates were somewhere else getting lucky, just not at Cat yesterday.

Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
Mar 7, 2019
Long Beach
Name
Rusty
Boat
Bayliner cuddy
Yea thats true. But i did have a lame co-worker with me that made the trip a little sour. I dont like people who are late in the morning, then constantly complain about everything. Not getting invited next time, thats for sure.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    You gave it a good effort. Catalina can be tricky sometimes.

Upvote 0

CardShark

Almost A Member
    Mar 6, 2015
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Mario
    Boat
    Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak
    Yea thats true. But i did have a lame co-worker with me that made the trip a little sour. I dont like people who are late in the morning, then constantly complain about everything. Not getting invited next time, thats for sure.

Having someone like that on the boat is worse than the lack of fish.

At least you gave it a shot.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    Rusty you need more bait. Half a scoop for three people .Also you were on the east end ,Not west no cranes up west. When your Ready to start catching let me know .Catalina is fishing better then I have seen it in twenty years.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Agree with Dave,too much bait is never enough(unless you kill it all)We were a little west of Parsons sat.Lots of boats.The fish would just come through and a boat would get bit,another in line would get bit.We caught them,lost a few as we were fishing light string.Tom

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    If you can only hold a half scoop, buy a bigger tank. If you can't hold a bigger tank, take the other half, and put it in a bucket, and chunk it up and use it for chum.

Next time. Beats sitting at home.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    By all accounts, Catalina is in no way wide open. You need skill or luck to catch, especially over the weekend.

Also, sea lions are every where now, fish are tense, not easy to get going.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Bad juju Dump the chump! I’ve been three times in the last two weeks my partner got one yellow on two of the trips I’m still skunked, Keep at it And learn every time you go, it will happen.Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    By all accounts, Catalina is in no way wide open. You need skill or luck to catch, especially over the weekend.

Also, sea lions are every where now, fish are tense, not easy to get going.
    Sorry I fish there almost everyday ..Sorry I am trying to help.Its about as close to wide open as I have ever seen it..But then I have not been doing it as long as most of you.

Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
    Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    Thanks for the tips! And yeah i need to learn to read a compass lol. I just get myself mixed up sometimes looking from land e and w. Pretty bad i know navigating by eyesight and rely on gps

As for the bait, i usually prefer jigs, but bait for everyone else, and i always pack a bunch of frozen sardines and frozen squid. Half a scoop is usually plenty and i always have left over, i only really stay out morning til about 2-3pm. Plus if i really need im pretty good at bait fishing having learned most of my fishing from those pro Balboa pier rats

Upvote 0