My pulled hook theory

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Let em eat 74, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I realize that as someone who is new and has not posted on here very much I might not get much cred, but hear me out and see if any of this makes sense to the rest of you.

With the increased amount of fisherman using straight braid to flourocarbon setups, I have seen an increase in pulled hook losses. At first, I didn't really care since because I personally have not seen an increase in this at all, but in the interest of helping others, I have wondered more and more why it affects one angler and yet others like myself have fewer issues. Spectra is a game changer as it pertains to presenting a live bait in its most lively state and it really does increase the amount of hook ups as a result, but I really don't think it's for everyone. We have all seen the huge loop or belly in the line when a fast moving fish changes direction quickly when fishing strait mono. This is a direct result of the line's large cross section and resulting drag through the water. My theory is that because of this, the hook remains somewhat static in it's position and that decreased movement keeps that hook planted. Now with spectra, the connection is more direct and greater angles at the hook would seem to be a result. This would likely result in more possibility for that hook to open its puncture and create the pulled hook scenario.
    If I am correct, this makes fight time the all important factor in determining whether spectra to a short or long top shot. My theory is this, the harder you pull, the shorter the top shot you should use. Although this would seem opposite, I am wondering if I may be on to something here. I personally fish 8' rods and full spectra to 5' long flouro leaders for just about every situation I can. Although I don't get carried away with drag, I pull hard and will never sit on a fish and I honestly feel like this really helps my hook to land ratio. Now consider the smaller angler that isn't fit, can't sustain a ton of pressure on a fish for any reason (this is in no way condescending or an insult, I'm trying to help) is this angler perhaps better off with the forgiveness of mono?

I'm curious what some of you other guys think about this so please chime in.

surfgoose likes this.
  2. PoolMan

PoolMan 7 'dines short of a full scoop

Name:
    Chuck G
    Boat:
    8' sabot #69
    I think your 8' rods are replacing the strecth of the mono, so as long as you fish a tight drag you have all the pull you want without the jerkiness the lack of stretch in braid would cause.

yellowfish26 likes this.
  3. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I totally agree that the length of rod helps here, but I do fish faster action rods as opposed to parabolic. I added in my fishing style because more info is always good. What do you about the basic theory though?

4. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Ringed circle hooks will dramatically reduce the pulled hook syndrom

5. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    I'll agree with poolman. I believe stretch is more of a factor. As a middle aged guy who grew up fishing straight mono (and for more years then fishing Spectra still) when I made the change to fishing Spectra there was an adjustment period that included gear changes as well. At first I noticed a higher % of hooks pulled on the same gear I would fish straight mono on. Back in the day, shorter rods were more the norm, as the mono provided the strain resistance to resist the extra pull due to the boat reacting to the swell and changes in fish direction. When I switched to longer rods for Spectra the rate of pulled hooks was greatly reduced.

TakeItEasy likes this.
  6. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I don't know if there is enough bow in the line to make a difference, most of my fish other than jumping fish like billfish and tarpon and dorado just seem to fight me straight. Pulling me around the boat is more about the boat drifting while the fish is pulling than the fish zig-sagging in the water.

But you are definitely correct that longer fights seriously increase the chances that the fish will escape. And some old fishermen are as tough as nails, but I'm not, and I use every trick I can think of to end the fight as soon as possible, and if I am stalemated or getting whipped after I hit my endurance limit, then I pass it off to someone else. There is always someone who has not had a good day and would love to take over a fight. I don't care about being in the jackpot so that is not an issue, my fish "bucket list" has been checked-off, I don't need to up my "personal best" number any higher, it's all about having fun. And I have more fun when I'm fishing a cast-length topshot of mono over the braid.

bigreddog and TakeItEasy like this.
  7. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Makes sense to me. Unfortunately, that is not a good sign.

8. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Love the humor Nomad ....always appreciated.

So I started this trying to learn about this not for myself, but for friends of mine. I have a what I would call a good ratio of hooking/landing fish and I am no stranger to the hook and hand off. Thing is, I hand the fish off and they get lost and I wonder why I mange the battle and they don't. There are a ton of tiny nuances that change the game and that's fishing, I am just trying to zero in on one I have been thinking about.

9. CrazyDonkey

CrazyDonkey Member

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    Linda Vista
    I've been fishing these last 3 years with braid and a leader of fluroro, I haven't had a pulled hook yet. That's not to say that the theory of no stretch is incorrect, I just fish knowing I won't have any stretch. it's just a different way to fish, you might have to fish a rod with a little more flex and you might have to set your drag a little bit looser. Just need to add another skill to your tackle box is all.

TakeItEasy likes this.
  10. loosendrag

loosendrag Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Agreed!

TakeItEasy likes this.
  11. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Before Russ Izor brought Spectra to the fishing world I tested Kevlar for him.
    The point is having used Spectra for a long time. Long top-shots and short, with every type of Mono, Fluoro, hook, short rods, long rods, etc. Along time back I settled on circle hooks for most of my saltwater fishing, due to less pulled hooks. So for years having fish on for hard, fast fights, and long hard fights as well as times with less drag pressure there have been VERY few hooks pulled. In fact I can only think of a couple in thousands of fish. I fall into the old and small category, and put as much pressure on a given size line as it will take. On a recent trip to Lupe 5 hooks pulled out, and it made me nuts. After a lot of thinking it's probably just fishing, if it happens again then something is up. You might be on to something but you need a lot of input to prove your idea. Good luck and let everyone know the results.

12. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    If your drag is set" correctly " the chances of pulling a hook are drastically reduced . I see a lot of guys not letting the a fish run then setting the hook to soon this will also increases the odds of pulling a hook, letting the fish run & really letting it swallow the bait/ hook will also reduce the chances of a hook pulling out. When fishing long range for wahoo I use 100yds of mono , my top iron set ups also get 100yds, on my bait rigs up to 60 pounds I use about 10 feet of top shot . From 60 up I may use 30 yards for shock absorption . Typically when I do pull a hook it's from setting the hook tooooo soon ...yup from excitement :D

Goosed10 likes this.
  13. DEGBTI

DEGBTI Member

Name:
    dennis
    Boat:
    204 Angler CC
    i agree 100%, setting the hook too early is my downfall!

14. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    So I'm not the only one..Honestly is sometimes humbling I can't blame it on the gear..;)

15. Seanvdp5

Seanvdp5 Member

Name:
    Lalas5
    Boat:
    None
    I'm a deckhand in Channel Islands and I get to see this dilemma prob 100 times or more a month. I honestly hate braid to fish to short top shots there's no stretch or give especially on my new style rods. Something has to give to be able to balance out the boat rocking in a swell, fish jerking its head and etc to keep hook from wearing a hole allowing fish to pop hook out. I fish all my reels spoiled half braid to rest mono for fishing everywhere except cow tuna because I need the line capacity but I still use braid to mono to fluoro. If many ppl understood how to set up wit braided line using softer action parabolic rods lighter drag settings and understand that u have to be aware of boat rocking and all that then yes it can have a good advantage at times but many cannot simply do that. It's a new style that needs to be learned by ppl not newbie fishermen. Look up the show inside Sportfishing episode called Teramar tuesdays and both Tony gant from shimano and Ryan bostian talk about using braid they give a great explanation on it.

16. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    I dont fish with a tight drag and/or short top shots, so I cant contribute anything anecdotal in a "pulled hooks" conversation.

17. talltale

talltale Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
    I don't use short top shots with braid. I prefer a little give in the line when the head shakes or any other sudden movement occurs. Especially when the fish are close to the boat. And I lighten up on the drag a bit to accommodate line stretch. Haven't had a hook pulled in recent memory. Shorter fights do have their advantage, though. Especially on older guys like me.