My (proposed) 5 Setups for 3 Day Trips out of San Diego for 2021...

Mar 10, 2020
San Diego
Name
John
Boat
Not Yet
This (2021) season, I think I'll change up the rigs I bring on board based upon my experiences from 2020.

Most of my trips from last year were between 2-3 days and they seem to mostly target bluefins. Only twice did we limit out and had time to go messing around with some small do-dos and smaller YTs. I'm OK with that since we had lots of time, but they were very small and (me personally) I throw them back even though I get guff from the crew. Also, it was more like catching than fishing, as they would literally hit a banana peel tied on your hook. I do like the challenge of the BFTs and YFTs.

For all my trips, I always took the same 6 setups.

1. 25/30lb bait.
2. 30lb lure
3. 40lb bait
4. 50lb lure
5. 60lb bait
6. 80lb lure.

Out of these, I don't recall too many use cases for needing a 30lb lure and 60lb bait. Most of the time, they were pretty line shy, so I would spend a fair amount of time with the lighter setup and would use the 30lb lure as another fly line bait setup. Also, used the 60lb mostly as a sinker rig, but very rarely (almost never) as a flyline. The 80lb got used also either as a sinker or flatfall, but mostly the latter.

I'm all for taking just what I need, and try not to bring the kitchen sink on these shorter trips, so thinking of the following this year:

1. 25/30lb bait.
2. 25/30lb bait. (backup)
3. 40lb bait
4. 50lb lure (surface iron or yo-yo)
5. 100lb sinker/flatfall (my thought here is that at depth, the fish won't be as line shy and if they want to bite, they won't care if it's on 60lb or 100lbs)

That would be 1 less setup, which (I think) would be great! Also, having a 100lb setup might be a "don't leave the dock without it".

What do you guys think? Am I leaving too big of a hole in the quiver? You guys using 60lb setups on these types of trips?

Last edited:
Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
I'd keep last years line up but switch up the 30lb lure to an extra bait rod. Also the 50lb lure could be double duty for flylining and I'd have the 60lb set up as a dedicated sinker rig but with a short FC 50lb leader.

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Is there a reason your bait rigs can't double for lure duty?

1. 25/30lb bait
    2. 25/30lb bait (backup)
    3. 40lb bait
    4. 60lb bait/lure
    5. 100lb bait/lure

Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Not Yet
    Is there a reason your bait rigs can't double for lure duty?

1. 25/30lb bait
    2. 25/30lb bait (backup)
    3. 40lb bait
    4. 60lb bait/lure
    5. 100lb bait/lure

No reason at all. They can and I do, at times, use them for double duty.

It's just that my particular (perhaps limited) experience is that I've not had too much success at the 60lb setups. My catches have mostly been on the 25-30lb bait setup, followed by the 40-50lb bait and lures, and finally the sinker/flatfalls at 80lbs.

Even on Long Range variety trips, which is a bit outside of the scope of this particular thread, I didn't use my 60lb setup. Instead, all the lighter sizes and the boat's larger 100 and 130lb setups.

Kinda made me question the 60lb setup in particular. Hence, this thread for other thoughts.

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    5. 100lb sinker/flatfall (my thought here is that at depth, the fish won't be as line shy and if they want to bite, they won't care if it's on 60lb or 100lbs)
    Funny you should mention this (your # 5 comment). I recently listened to a 'Let's Talk Hookup' episode, the one with Aliyar. He specifically addressed this topic, and said that...in his view....sinker rigs should use 80 lb leader not 50/60. Said they bit it just as well, with far fewer losses.

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    The last recommendation I saw was a 40lb bait, 60lb sinker and a 80-100lb flatfall. I own none of these and will probably buy the 40lb this week and rent the other two for my 1.5 Day on the 9th.

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    The last recommendation I saw was a 40lb bait, 60lb sinker and a 80-100lb flatfall. I own none of these and will probably buy the 40lb this week and rent the other two for my 1.5 Day on the 9th.
    Good idea. It will all depend on if they are biting heavy or light line. The crew should know and check what’s happening a few days before.

Reactions: CrazyDonkey

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    Good idea. It will all depend on if they are biting heavy or light line. The crew should know and check what’s happening a few days before.
    Yup, I'm going on the Tomahawk and they have their first trip leaving tonight and there are a few other 1.5 and 3 days going as well so we should get some good info soon. I'm a full day guy normally so this will all be new to me, I plan on listening and learning a lot and I hope to not make a fool of myself.

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    This (2021) season, I think I'll change up the rigs I bring on board based upon my experiences from 2020.

Most of my trips from last year were between 2-3 days and they seem to mostly target bluefins. Only twice did we limit out and had time to go messing around with some small do-dos and smaller YTs. I'm OK with that since we had lots of time, but they were very small and (me personally) I throw them back even though I get guff from the crew. Also, it was more like catching than fishing, as they would literally hit a banana peel tied on your hook. I do like the challenge of the BFTs and YFTs.

For all my trips, I always took the same 6 setups.

1. 25/30lb bait.
    2. 30lb lure
    3. 40lb bait
    4. 50lb lure
    5. 60lb bait
    6. 80lb lure.

Out of these, I don't recall too many use cases for needing a 30lb lure and 60lb bait. Most of the time, they were pretty line shy, so I would spend a fair amount of time with the lighter setup and would use the 30lb lure as another fly line bait setup. Also, used the 60lb mostly as a sinker rig, but very rarely (almost never) as a flyline. The 80lb got used also either as a sinker or flatfall, but mostly the latter.

I'm all for taking just what I need, and try not to bring the kitchen sink on these shorter trips, so thinking of the following this year:

1. 25/30lb bait.
    2. 25/30lb bait. (backup)
    3. 40lb bait
    4. 50lb lure (surface iron or yo-yo)

That would be 1 less setup, which (I think) would be great! Also, having a 100lb setup might be a "don't leave the dock without it".

What do you guys think? Am I leaving too big of a hole in the quiver? You guys using 60lb setups on these types of trips?
    I always take 3 heavier set-ups, 60lb for sinker rig during the day, 100lb for smaller flat falls (160,200g) and 130 for larger flat falls. My biggest fish last year, 270lb was on a small 200g flatfall.

Reactions: greatbasin

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Yup, I'm going on the Tomahawk and they have their first trip leaving tonight and there are a few other 1.5 and 3 days going as well so we should get some good info soon. I'm a full day guy normally so this will all be new to me, I plan on listening and learning a lot and I hope to not make a fool of myself.
    3 days is just more time fishing and maybe some place different. Good luck and have fun.

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You'll enjoy the Tomahawk, I've been on it a half-dozen times over the years, under different names. And you will NOT get any hassle if you want to release a fish. Although, I've learned to holler loudly "Anybody want a (insert name of fish)?" before releasing, because sometimes there is someone who would appreciate it. For instance, I myself enjoy smoking skipjack and so will take a gift fish with a smile, while most fishermen don't keep them.