surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You may already be using this lure, but if not you should be aware of it's existence. I have been trying lures with spinner blades for a number of years in fresh water, but only recently in salt water. I came across the VMC Spin Jig with an underspin blade in the one ounce size, and ordered several to try them.

I am really impressed! This is a very useful design for salt water. The head has a huge eye, the hook is very sharp and very strong, the blade is on a swivel and moves easily. I have tried three different designs of plastic bodies and they all swim well in my pool at various speeds. The one ounce weight of the head means that you can retrieve at various speeds, and if you pause the lure sinks down nicely and when you speed up the lure reacts well. It looks very eatable!

So the on-water test: Went on a day trip to Catalina Island on the Triton, and made a promise to myself that I would stay with lures all day. A special-design bait ball lure that I've put together caught a bonito, and and a couple of other lures resulted in calico bass. But the VMC spin jig was the real success, resulting in a yellowtail on the third cast. The yellowtail were being spooky, and a *#$# sea lion started chasing my lure with every cast, so I gave it a rest after the first yellowtail landed.

But I thought that I would mention it. At only around $4 each they are a good value, I think, and I have every confidence in it. There are a number of on-line sources, which is what I used, not having seen it in a store, although it may well be in your local tackle store. It's worth a try!

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    I use the coolbaits underspin for bass all the time in the 1/4 or 1/2oz cool to see that someone is making larger size ones. I could totally see these being effective.

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    You may already be using this lure, but if not you should be aware of it's existence. I have been trying lures with spinner blades for a number of years in fresh water, but only recently in salt water. I came across the VMC Spin Jig with an underspin blade in the one ounce size, and ordered several to try them.

I am really impressed! This is a very useful design for salt water. The head has a huge eye, the hook is very sharp and very strong, the blade is on a swivel and moves easily. I have tried three different designs of plastic bodies and they all swim well in my pool at various speeds. The one ounce weight of the head means that you can retrieve at various speeds, and if you pause the lure sinks down nicely and when you speed up the lure reacts well. It looks very eatable!

So the on-water test: Went on a day trip to Catalina Island on the Triton, and made a promise to myself that I would stay with lures all day. A special-design bait ball lure that I've put together caught a bonito, and and a couple of other lures resulted in calico bass. But the VMC spin jig was the real success, resulting in a yellowtail on the third cast. The yellowtail were being spooky, and a *#$# sea lion started chasing my lure with every cast, so I gave it a rest after the first yellowtail landed.

But I thought that I would mention it. At only around $4 each they are a good value, I think, and I have every confidence in it. There are a number of on-line sources, which is what I used, not having seen it in a store, although it may well be in your local tackle store. It's worth a try!
    no pics of the lure or the yellow? hummm

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Sooooo. What's the name of the jig?

surfgoose
    surfgoose
    VMC Spin Jig. Put that in Google and you'll find a lot of sellers. Different colors and sizes. I caught the yellowtail on the 1 oz. mottled-green color head and a 5" paddle tail.
    Upvote 0

anemic

circling the drain
    Mar 6, 2004
    Long Beach
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    nope
    no pics of the lure or the yellow? hummm

Sooooo. What's the name of the jig?

1626202865658.png

Is this it?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Coolbaits makes 1oz and 2oz size as well and a couple real heavies for rockcod and lings
    No shit? I will have to look into those. I really like them didn't know they came in heavier models.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    View attachment 1298643

Is this it?

That's it!

Reactions: anemic
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Pin a live squid on that there setup and Katy bar the door, Bob's yer uncle!

I meant to say it looks really good! And with the heavier weights available, doubly so.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    Get a buzzbait, take the rubber from a rubbercore sinker and squeeze it onto the shaft. Burn it back subsurface creating a wake.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    I take the small metal lures that look like anchovies (megabait, snipers, ahi, etc. -- everybody makes a version) about an ounce in size and replace the weak small treble hooks with a quality J hook. I then add a quality Owner split ring to the front ring, and on the split ring I add several of the Interchange System BAITBALL Spinner Rig Interchange Pack Teasers. Size Medium in color Smoke/Silver looks just like a pinhead anchovy, with a small wire at the front and a paddle tail. I put the wires through the split ring so there are three or four around the metal lure, and it looks like a small baitball of anchovies swimming together. You can get the packs from Live Target retailers online, although I bought them at Turner's. A quality Owner solid ring goes on, and that is what the line ties to.

My original purpose was to fool those pesky bluefin when they are fixated on microbaits. I haven't gotten a chance to try on bluefin of the appropriate size, we keep coming across the biggies and I am old and experienced enough that I know better. But it looks pretty good in the pool, and if there is a bonito within a hundred yards he will find it. And bonito are kind of JV-Team tuna, so I have hope.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES

Doesn't Warbait out of S.D. make bigger underspins?

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    I'm sure that there are a number of different makers. One of my favorite things used to be cruising around different tackle stores and seeing what possibilities exist. But even though I'm fully vaccinated I try to be cautious nowadays, and so avoid most stores of all kinds. I only go on fishing trips with a max of two dozen people on board, and am usually up at the bow.

Upvote 0

The Fishing Cholo

Almost A Member
    Feb 24, 2019
    East Los Angeles
    Name
    The Fishing Cholo
    Boat
    14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"

Can you share a picture of the lure please for all of us to see.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    I realize that this thread has gotten a bit long, but if you look at the posts above you will see that anemic did a good job of pasting a picture of the lure from the VMC website. It is available in multiple sizes and several colors.

Reactions: The Fishing Cholo
    Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Better stock up on them before they get more expensive. I personally like them more than coolbaits. Coolbaits rust out kinda quickly. Only thing I don't like about under spins is that they swim odd in an decent current.

Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 14, 2004
    i.e.
    Visit site
    Name
    jeff
    Boat
    no
    I was on a Dan Hernandez tv show filming trip, and they got good shots of both the lure and the yellowtail. Keep watching his show, it will air eventually. But think of all the fish that you'll miss catching in the meantime.
    Dan should come out with his own underspin jig anytime now then.........just sayin'

surfgoose
    surfgoose
    That would be great. More choices is always a good thing in the marketplace. Especially with fishing lure designs, which it is impossible to patent. Anybody who wants to can try to market their better mousetrap.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    The spinnerbait is one of my all time favorite lure designs. I've owned plenty of them since I started fishing for green bass back in the day.

Unfortunately, I can count on two hands the number of fish I've caught on them. I just don't know how to fish them properly, I guess.

surfgoose
    surfgoose
    youtube is very helpful. I fished spinnerbaits unsuccessfully for a long time before watching a video from a bass pro who emphasized that having a tight connection is critical. My usual snap was letting the lure wobble.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0