My new Hero- This guy- 94 yrs old on a 18 day.

Dexter Outdoors

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
A friend of mine Len Cunningham shy of 90 years old does atleast 1/2 dozen long trips a year on strictly The Royal Star.
Was my Cornwell tool dealer back in the day before he retired, & swings by the shop & tells me all about his adventure a few days after he returns....

Fish Report for 11-28-2018
2018_332_0836_1813_08808724-4300-45F1-8A7E-7F02EB6ECE72..jpg

Fantastic sign

11-28-2018
Tim Ekstrom

Very good sign here at the island; as good as we have seen all season. And it bites. And, down in the most productive zone, no denizens to deal with. I can’t say the same for other zones. In particular those that currently host the best sign of jumbos. But that will change.

We spent the better part of our day targeting the jumbos with some morning success. After about 08:30 they simply disappeared. Pulling up our stakes and heading for reports of fishing far better we arrived in time to make a fine afternoon of it. Beautiful grade yellowfin, 60 - 100 pounds were abundant and willing. Pleased with the sign we see and conditions we are hunkering down in advance of this little front scheduled to pass tomorrow. For that reason alone I can’t think of a place I’d rather be. Settled in on the protected lee side we’ll ride it out in comfort while continuing to target this beautiful grade yellowfin.

If you are on the fence perhaps today’s photo will provide that final inspiration. Royal Star living legend Len Cunningham got his day started with this dandy 183. At 87 years young Len is still showing us youngsters how it’s done. What an incredible individual - old school to the core.

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I think Joe Rubio on the AA is 89 yrs young and still does a 10 & 14 day trip every year and is still going strong.
Joe is a good fisherman, and a GREAT guy. Just retired a few years ago too!!!!!! Hat's off to Joe, and the rest of the "super seniors who are still "doing it".

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
And Belmont pier too.
When I was a kid, I used to fish the Queen of the Sea from Belmont Pier. Graduated slowly from the pier, to the barge (Islander) and then the half day boat. Captain Harold Boyer, deck crew was Scottie and Andy. Memories...:)

Reactions: ripped and Bill W
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I remember Harold on the Queen of the Sea, but never met him. Always heard him on the radio talking with our boat. Seemed like a really nice guy.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    When I was a kid, I used to fish the Queen of the Sea from Belmont Pier. Graduated slowly from the pier, to the barge (Islander) and then the half day boat. Captain Harold Boyer, deck crew was Scottie and Andy. Memories...:)

We had a similar journey Steve. Did the Islander and moved to half day. Scotty would let us ride the afternoon for free if we scrubbed the boat between trips. I think of him a lot.

Upvote 0