My new 300HP Verado must live in saltwater. Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Mr Lingcod, Sep 20, 2017.

?

Do you keep an excel spreadsheet to track boat expenses?

1. Yes! Just like rental property.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. No! Boats are art and when you're risking your life out there you need someting dialed.

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. rsrutkowski

rsrutkowski Rick

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 SC....Omega lll
    Consider an AIR Dock ..I have one in Dana Pt for my Parker 2120..tilt/trim system replacement will pay for the lift not to mention no more bottom scrapping..
    A lot of guys here have them..the AD will get everything out of the water...if you leave the motor down will minimize exposure if want all out of the water remove the nose

2. 7raptor

7raptor happy to be here

Name:
    yup
    Boat:
    A Big One
    Out of the water. Get a jack plate asap. Should cost like $2500

3. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet

4. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet
    I know that this thread has faded from the front page of Bloody Decks, but I wanted to provide some closure to the problem that was originally posed. In review, my outboard was just a little too long to be in my slip while resting in the upright position, per the harbors measurement. So, I experimented with various "mooring bags" to try and get my new engine out of the salt. There's a history here of various "trys" but I finally hit up Armored Hull out of San Diego to make a custom bag that is chlorinated and is filled with fresh water. It's an easy in and out of the slip, the harbor is happy, and according to my research, the engine will be fine sitting in fresh water, with light chlorine--stops the growth. Staying in my slip saves over 12k by moving marinas. This has proved to be a $300 solution that currently is seeming to work. I wanted to post pictures to document my saga here in case someone else is going through the same situation. In short, don't fool around trying to make something homemade. The guys at Armored Hull just cranked it.

Note that the rectangular mooring bag created has 4' pvc for structure with closed cell pool floats inside. There is also a pool float with chlorine from Amazon on its way. Bag sits in the water permanently, with an expected life of 5-8 years. Bottom hull cleaners of my boat will give it a scrub once every 6 months. This solution makes my situation 100% compliant with harbor rules.

* For what it's worth, there is a boat in my marina (that shall go unnamed) that has two 225 HP Yamahas on the back. Owner has the same problem with length and has chosen to leave both engines, down, in the salt; and never flushes them out with fresh water. He's been doing this for 10 years and has only had one minor issue. He does change zincs often and the engines do have their own organic ecosystem growing around them. But, the engines work and the owner runs the boat every few days. Go figure.

IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1918.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    strackle99 likes this.
  5. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Well played

6. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    adding chlorine to a container and immuring your outboard will prevent marine growth, however......

CHLORINE WILL ACCELERATE CORROSION OF METAL COMPONENTS. CHLORINE IS A OXIDIZER......IT WILL OXIDIZE (CORRODE) ANY METAL THAT OXIDIZES. DONT DO IT FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

7. agarcia

agarcia Member

Name:
    Art Garcia
    Boat:
    rowboat
    You have way more patience than I.....my first thoughts were cut 5" off the bow and glass it back up flat and call it a day.

8. gearshifter

gearshifter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    None
    How you like your verado?

9. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    Why didn't you just put it at more of an angle at 3 inches acouple more degrees would have fixed it. Just give the guy next to you some fresh fish and i doubt he would complain

10. R&R

R&R Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    CABO 226
    49C154D2-E8B6-41DF-9AA4-C09835C87ACB.jpeg

Mr Lingcod likes this.
  11. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse