My new 300HP Verado must live in saltwater. Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Mr Lingcod, Sep 20, 2017.

?

Do you keep an excel spreadsheet to track boat expenses?

1. Yes! Just like rental property.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. No! Boats are art and when you're risking your life out there you need someting dialed.

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. aquasport18

aquasport18 aquasport18

Name:
    the brusier
    Boat:
    21 ft stealh vip cc.
    get a smaller boat

sbsurfer and Mr Lingcod like this.
  2. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet
    Yeah, good idea. But it would just raise the engine. I have a length issue. How would it help the length?

3. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet
    Thanks for the advice. What bottom liner do you use? Boat Bunkers? Armored Hull?

4. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    NGSD1 has a HrdroHoist Boat lift for a very reasonable price. That would keep that motor high and dry.

5. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Its called "bottom liner" , i can pm the guys name and number that makes them if you want

6. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet
    Yeah, that would be great! Do you think the engine can live down with the liner in the Clorox?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. terrace

terrace Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    Yep
    For the growth you can spray 3-4 heavy coats of LPS 3 silicone on it. Let it dry between coats nothing will grow on that.the only draw back I have found is it will leave a semi gummy coating on it. Be careful using bleach in any harbor. Haven't been in sb harbor for quite some time but remember it being hot and eating zincs pretty fast

8. sbsurfer

sbsurfer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
    You're still going to run into the length issue...the SB Harbor Patrol will include any kind of hull liner or hydro hoist in the length of 'what sits in the slip'. For that hull liner to work properly it needs to extend beyond your outboard...more than the 3 inches you mentioned.

You're not going to like hearing this bc it'll cost more money but your only option really is to get a bigger slip...which aint cheap in SB.

Or chop some length off the bow. I know of a few boats in SB where guys have literally shortened the bow to fit in a slip.

Did you buy the slip without knowing they go tip to tip in SB? Or is it a buddy's slip you're trying to squeeze into?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  9. ratboy

ratboy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    katie sea
    slip nazi s
    that sucks

10. sbsurfer

sbsurfer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
    They don't mess around. I was hoping to buy a 25ft slip right next to one of my best friends for my 26 Radon, they allow 2ft over the slip size...so this would have allowed 27ft total length. But the outdrive made the total length 27ft 8inches...even though it's under water it was a deal breaker. I'd have to get a min of a 28ft slip in SB for the 26 Radon.

the other thing that sucks about SB is you can't just rent the slip. You actually buy it from the previous owner...it's basically a lease from the city. costs run high:

20ft slip - $8-10k plus a $4k "transfer fee"...then you still have a month fee just north of $200.

25ft slip - $20+k....plus about a $8k "transfer fee"...then you still have the monthly fee about $250.

It just goes up and up from there. Supply and demand...SB is a small harbor.

After boating out of Ventura for the last 5 years I was kicking myself for going outta SB for the previous 12 years...the ride home to VTA is so much better than going to SB....for Santa Cruz Island anyway, which is where I spend 75% of my island time.

One_Leg and repo805 like this.
  11. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet
    I knew they go tip to tip but I thought I could customize it a little more than I have been able to.

Plus, I also got a smokin' deal on a 28 foot slip (31 feet total). I use the slip all the time: chillin', kayaking, buoy cruise. A family-oriented deal. SB is great. However, the ride back from the backside of Santa Cruz in the summer almost makes me want to go Ranchin'. But I love the front side of Cruz and Rosa and end up there more often than not. Way less people. And not for the faint hearted (poor Raf almost passed out one day after diving near Willows when we decided to come back through the Potato Patch to spice it up... and boy was it as advertised.)

So I love SB, know that Ventura is clearly a better crossing (especially in a Radon hull), but love the versatility of SB.

Great point about the hull liner going beyond the 31 feet. My neighbor suggested a "mini liner" just for the engine. Pretty easy to make: 4 feet deep, 2x2 across.

But I"m left with the same problem: 300HP Verado sitting in saltwater (though this saltwater has chlorine and blocks most of the electricity in the water. Still think that's a deal-killer?

12. meandmyself

meandmyself Who knows

Name:
    edgar teixeira
    Boat:
    1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
    Can you remove the pulpit?

13. ratboy

ratboy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    katie sea
    Holy shit thats crazy! and yes with a dominant NW wind always nice heading downhill home....

14. jigstrike

jigstrike SCUBA Spearing Daddy

Name:
    Tom McKinney
    Boat:
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    You keep asking about growth and chlorine. Groth isnt the problem, its the salting up of the cooling system and metal damage caused by electolysis and corrosion.

To prevent growth it will need anti fouling paint. One can also wrap a trash bag around it to stop sunlight to minimize growth.

I would guess that it would be okay if properly prepped, zinced, and grounded and there was no stray current problem. I would look at the cost of a bigger slip vs the other steps you will have to take, like a diver every 3 weeks to check zincs, or more frequent eeplacentnof the lower unit

Mr Lingcod and sbsurfer like this.
  15. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star
    I'm having a hard time envisioning any type of slip that would create this situation. This is when looking across the end of a finger pier?

If so, then yeah, your slip is too short for your boat!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  16. Canyon

Canyon Mover

Name:
    Colin
    Boat:
    Anderson 22'
    Ditch the hull extension/bracket thing you have and install a proper splashwell into your transom. That should save you 2 feet off your LOA and would be way cheaper than getting a bigger slip...and/or buying a new lower unit for your brand new OB in 3 years.

sbsurfer likes this.
  17. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet
    After really looking hard at possible solutions, here is where I landed: a kill bag with a lifetime warranty. Slides on easy, keeps the engine out of the salt, BOOM. Done. A $200 solution to what could have been a move to Marina 3 and about $15k more. Seems like a winner.

IMG_0850 2.JPG

sbsurfer likes this.
  18. mikepanz

mikepanz Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    228 grady
    Can you make up the 3 inches by turning the engine hard port or starboard while slipped? not that the kill bag doesn't work....

19. Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    The Last Soviet
    Nope. They make you go straight.

20. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat: