sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat Name
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Decided to tempt fate and try for one more tuna run for 2020 since we had a decent weather window Tuesday and saw the great reports from last week. We ended up being the only sport boat out of Westport but had great company as @MarkColeman was running his Cadillac the Integrity. The run out started rough as the tide was ebbing and the bar was loaded with sharp short swell, we cut the S. Jetty to get out of it but continued to get beat up till we got some distance from the bar. The water continued to improve the farther out we got and were able to run 24knts comfortably for most the run. We headed to 46.44/125 and stopped a few miles short to fish a bunch of jumping bait and continued to troll out. We heard the Integrity was marking fish and surrounded by working birds so we trolled their direction. Once in their neighborhood @bdrlgion saw jumpers that we trolled towards and hooked up on a quad, which we were able to boat 3 and then @Kettel O' Fish hooked his first jig fish. We thought it was going to be game on as we were marking fish underneath us but they were not interested in our weak herring offering. We went back on the troll and hooked another fish which ended up being our last fish of the year. The birds and bait disappeared over the next couple hours and we tried trolling North 5 miles and then ran West 10 miles but never saw any more action. The water was greasy calm and we kept hoping the afternoon bite was going to show up but at 5 we had to pull the gear and run in to beat darkness, incoming gale and ebbing bar. We ran into a bunch of whales halfway in and were treated to one that came clear out of the water twice. It was a great boat ride with a handful of fish.

303B37B8-D4BE-438D-830C-FCC02F0C1B99.jpeg

F0180D77-5CAB-4E1A-9EDD-FCBFF9705ECF.jpeg

CA72F3ED-9230-4965-92FB-60E329870A89.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
  • May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com
    Name
    Greg Eastman
    Boat Name
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    Sad looking parking lot
    Greasy water
    No fish pics?? How about some sizes....?

I was hoping to go but ended up working on a danger tree. At least I knew where to find it ;)

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Florida
    Name
    Good
    Boat Name
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I rarely leave fish when they’re under the boat. Keep chumming pieces and dropping iron. Even if you only pick up 1-2 now and again, your action may end up finally turning them on.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

Draht vom Hoko

Almost A Member
    Mar 11, 2012
    Bremerton & Hoko, WA
    www.vomHoko.com
    Name
    Joel Davis
    Boat Name
    Shamrock 260 Cuddy LE Keel Drive; Cummins 6BT5.9M 210 HP
    Right on!! Thanks for the encouraging report! Any idea how Integrity did that day or any of Mark's fleet since?
    Conditions are looking good for a last gasp run on Monday. Is there still live bait & ice available?
    Thanks for any advance intel!

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat Name
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I know Integrity caught more fish than we did. Nick just posted about his last tuna trip from Thursday and it is not encouraging.

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat Name
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    Right on!! Thanks for the encouraging report! Any idea how Integrity did that day or any of Mark's fleet since?
    Conditions are looking good for a last gasp run on Monday. Is there still live bait & ice available?
    Thanks for any advance intel!
    How'd it go today?

Upvote 0

Draht vom Hoko

Almost A Member
    Mar 11, 2012
    Bremerton & Hoko, WA
    www.vomHoko.com
    Name
    Joel Davis
    Boat Name
    Shamrock 260 Cuddy LE Keel Drive; Cummins 6BT5.9M 210 HP
    Great day on the water, but not a single sign of tuna. Got out over 70mi offshore and couldn't even tip into 59 degree water. After 46.36/125.59, we headed South to 46.24/125.46, thinking we'd get warmer, but it got cooler. With our trolling window closing we started trolling ENE and almost broke into 59 degree water, but then temps started dropping quickly and it was time to head home.
    We knew it was an iffy proposition going out, but still had to go for it. Made it back safely after dark with165 nm trip in the log. Wish we'd had some screaming reels, but absolutely no regrets: fin whales, albatross, great friends, silly stories and one heckuva sunset.
    201026 albatross.jpg
    It was a fantastic adventure on the big blue and nice way to put a fork in it for the year and already looking forward to 2021!!!
    201026 Sunset.jpg

Upvote 0