PENN

mnessari

Feb 17, 2008
Reseda
Name
Mustafa
Boat
No boat
Alright so I wanted to go fishing last weekend but slept through thanks to the Fireball shots. So my brother and I rescheduled our trip on the Pursuit for this past Sunday and got our first yellows! The bait wasn't ideal at all 7"+ macks and a few sardines in between.. Other then that we had whole frozen squid. Conditions were not bad at all a bit chilly, but thats was about it aside from a bit overcast. After our 4 hour boat ride from San Pedro we stopped at a paddy where a few private boats were anchored around but didnt look like anyone was home. Chummed and chummed, got a few bonita and bass boils, I opted to try to Mack flylined on a 1/2 oz. slider. Threw the energetic fucker out there and 10 seconds of him swimming down and away, tap, tap, rod is bent!!!! A 1-2 min fight to bring him in below you will see the first yellow I have ever caught! My bro hooked up on a few yellows and landed them. We totaled out at 2 yellows for me and 2 yellows for him with a bunch of short calicos as seen in thumb-shot. LOL

Hope you guys like the sunset shot with the seagull close by. Thanks to all BD members for the tips and the classifieds selling me quality gear at great prices.. You guys rock!

yello.JPG

yell23.JPG

yell.JPG

set.JPG

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Mustafa, sounds like you had a great day and good job on your first yellow!

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I like how they have numbers where you are supposed to fish. Since there is current and stuff in the ocean.
I have no idea what you just said.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

mnessari

Feb 17, 2008
Reseda
Name
Mustafa
Boat
No boat
I like how they have numbers where you are supposed to fish. Since there is current and stuff in the ocean.
I know right, most of the time we had to move around due to wind,current, and how we were anchored.. People actually were arguing over their spots.

Upvote 0

stucktip

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 3, 2011
OG Spring Valley, currently- North Park, San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Whatever
So the numbers on the boat are spots for the anglers? How the hell does that work on a school of yellows?

Oh and nice yellow.

It doesn't. That's why they are retarded...I never payed attention to those numbers ad stayed away from the tangles. I don't go on those boats anymore.

And CONGRATS on your first yellows!!!!:appl:

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I was basically saying that numbered spots for people to fish at on a boat that has moving water it is sitting on top of are stupid.

To the OP, congrats on your first yerrowtayo

Okay....thanks for the clarification. And you're right, fishing certain numbers on the drift is a recipe for a tangled disaster. I wonder if the guys with the wind in their back ever wonder why their lines continually go under the boat? LOL

Upvote 0

mnessari

Feb 17, 2008
Reseda
Name
Mustafa
Boat
No boat
Thank you to all!! It was hilarious, there were a couple rental rod groups on the boat and I can easily say atleast 3 of their so called hookups were not hook ups, they were yanking on someone elses line on the opposite side of the boat.. But what gets me the most is the ones that dont wait, whether to set the anchor or for the boat to be set up to drift. :cussing:

Upvote 0

mnessari

Feb 17, 2008
Reseda
Name
Mustafa
Boat
No boat
It doesn't. That's why they are retarded...I never payed attention to those numbers ad stayed away from the tangles. I don't go on those boats anymore.

And CONGRATS on your first yellows!!!!:appl:
Believe me if I can avoid those boats and still fish out there, I WOULD IN A HEARTBEAT!

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Thank you to all!! It was hilarious, there were a couple rental rod groups on the boat and I can easily say atleast 3 of their so called hookups were not hook ups, they were yanking on someone elses line on the opposite side of the boat.. But what gets me the most is the ones that dont wait, whether to set the anchor or for the boat to be set up to drift. :cussing:

I love it when guys on opposite sides of the boat hook each other. I always tell the guy on my side to keep pulling..."you have a big one there!" Watching him fight an imaginary fish is priceless. :D

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Numbers are for 1/2 day boats that sit on the anchor along the kelp beds or clam beds, with little or no boat movement. Not used for the 1% of the time that these boat ever get offshore. It's really not that hard to figure out. Nice first of many, hopefully.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
WC
Name
Luis
Boat
none
Alright so I wanted to go fishing last weekend but slept through thanks to the Fireball shots. So my brother and I rescheduled our trip on the Pursuit for this past Sunday and got our first yellows! The bait wasn't ideal at all 7"+ macks and a few sardines in between.. Other then that we had whole frozen squid. Conditions were not bad at all a bit chilly, but thats was about it aside from a bit overcast. After our 4 hour boat ride from San Pedro we stopped at a paddy where a few private boats were anchored around but didnt look like anyone was home. Chummed and chummed, got a few bonita and bass boils, I opted to try to Mack flylined on a 1/2 oz. slider. Threw the energetic fucker out there and 10 seconds of him swimming down and away, tap, tap, rod is bent!!!! A 1-2 min fight to bring him in below you will see the first yellow I have ever caught! My bro hooked up on a few yellows and landed them. We totaled out at 2 yellows for me and 2 yellows for him with a bunch of short calicos as seen in thumb-shot. LOL

Hope you guys like the sunset shot with the seagull close by. Thanks to all BD members for the tips and the classifieds selling me quality gear at great prices.. You guys rock!

View attachment 550810

View attachment 550811

View attachment 550812

View attachment 550813
Congratulations on you first yellows, I personally would never go on this boat again after one trip in Sept. 3 1/2 hr. trip to Catalina and 5 hrs to get back was absolutely ridiculous. That whole numbered "system" is absurd, people getting mad and others refusing to move when people with fish were coming down the rail.....just ridiculous.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
WTG on your first! U are hooked now!!
FYI- 8-12 inch macks are perfect bait - even bigger if the YT are good size. You would be surprised how big a bait a YT can easily suck down.

Reactions: mnessari
Upvote 0

mnessari

Feb 17, 2008
Reseda
Name
Mustafa
Boat
No boat
Congratulations on you first yellows, I personally would never go on this boat again after one trip in Sept. 3 1/2 hr. trip to Catalina and 5 hrs to get back was absolutely ridiculous. That whole numbered "system" is absurd, people getting mad and others refusing to move when people with fish were coming down the rail.....just ridiculous.
Im with you on this.. But at this point whats the option.. The native sun is limited load 3/4 for $95 but I am almost positive those turbo diesel engined boats can get there a bit quicker than 4 hours...

Upvote 0

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
WC
Name
Luis
Boat
none
Im with you on this.. But at this point whats the option.. The native sun is limited load 3/4 for $95 but I am almost positive those turbo diesel engined boats can get there a bit quicker than 4 hours...
I used to hate when boats took 2.5 hrs. to get there and this was a couple of years ago. On the last trip my jaw dropped to the floor when the captain announced for everyone to wind their lines because we were heading home and it was 1 pm when the trip was 6am to 6pm. At first I had doubts but sure enough he managed to make it into a 5 hr. lonnnng boat ride to the dock.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Numbers on the rail of the boat!!! It's to have somewhat fair fishing so if you are anchoring it let's different people have time at the best spot the stern usually. So let's say on a good sized boat the numbers will be 1-20 and in four sections of different colored numbers. So if you but your rod on # 12 blue in the stern the skipper will let one group fish a hour then rotate one color to your right to #12red. So on and so on. But. That's basically for your standard bass fishing or rockfish type fishing. DOES NOT WORK for offshore as it's a free for all type deal!!! Bait up throw or drop a bait in with wind in your face and move with your bait or fish!!! And by all means be aware of your line at all times. Hope that explains a little. Jeff

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up

View attachment 550810

View attachment 550811

View attachment 550812

View attachment 550813
Great first fish!!! Yellows can stuff huge baits down !!!

Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"
Numbers on the rail of the boat!!! It's to have somewhat fair fishing so if you are anchoring it let's different people have time at the best spot the stern usually. So let's say on a good sized boat the numbers will be 1-20 and in four sections of different colored numbers. So if you but your rod on # 12 blue in the stern the skipper will let one group fish a hour then rotate one color to your right to #12red. So on and so on. But. That's basically for your standard bass fishing or rockfish type fishing. DOES NOT WORK for offshore as it's a free for all type deal!!! Bait up throw or drop a bait in with wind in your face and move with your bait or fish!!! And by all means be aware of your line at all times. Hope that explains a little. Jeff
Ahhh yes... Everyone get's a trophy type sport-fishing.

Upvote 0