My First Ultra Long Range Trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Pangamaster, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Blue Marlin, yummy....

2. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    This was my hope as well....I sent a blast email to everyone including the RS hoping to hear back from someone.....I thought for sure I would here back by now....I guess someone really liked my dirty laundry! It's funny I was so focused on not let my fishing gear out of my site i forgot my biggest bag! Oh the mayhem that is the result of returning back to reality.

3. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Hey Dave: Sorry your trip ended on a bad note. Fortunately, I'm always fishing with a group of friends, and we take turns babysitting our stuff both before we leave, and after we return. Other than that, sounds like a successful trip. The RS is a class act, for sure. Brian's a good guy with a good sense of humor, and Blake and the deck crew are top notch. And the food that Drew puts out is outstanding...those homemade breads and soups every night along with all the other fantastic cuisine...Drew once told me he used to be a head chef in some 5 star restaurant in San Francisco, or maybe it was Portland...can't remember...but his talent speaks for itself. Anyway, great write-up and great flicks. Glad you had a sucessful trip...thanks for sharing.

DMcD

Pangamaster likes this.
  4. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I was there too to meet a couple friends on your trip and you had great catch. My money would be another passenger grabbed your bag. Not too many lookie loos that early in the morning. To make my bags easy to ID I do mark them all with a bright color tape.

Pangamaster likes this.
  5. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I was there too to meet a couple friends on your trip and you had great catch. My money would be another passenger grabbed your bag. Not too many lookie loos that early in the morning. To make my bags easy to ID I do mark them all with a bright color tape.

6. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Great report!

Were any of the jig fish taken on trebles or all single hooks?

7. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    All were on big Mustad single hooks! No trebles.

T.O.T.W. likes this.
  8. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Dave,

Thanks for the report! After several 7 and 8 day trips, I am going on my first 15 day in March and can't wait. In fact, I just finished up servicing a couple of Maks that I got for the trip, and one of them was brand new! Other than Cow rigs, what else did you find useful? I am sure a few Wahoo rigs are in order, but beyond that I am not sure (bait rig?). I gotta say that your report definitely got me excited, I won't be able to do another cow trip after this one for quite a while, but I will be sure to try and make the best of my first. Also if it is not too much trouble, what piece of gear did you find useful on a big trip that you wouldn't necessarily have on a shorter trip?

Thanks again for the report and pics, definitely got the juices flowing...

-Connor

vegasandre likes this.
  9. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    Good read!

10. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Hey Connor,
    Besides what I mentioned in my report not much really. I was way over prepared.....I'm sure you have your wahoo jigs and bombs ready to go. I caught all of my fish on a bomb. I saw some people get them on your standard wahoo jigs as well. The smaller sizes were getting bit better. Smaller bombs and jigs. Have some good quality 4 hook bait makers for tubes. Also have some 2 hook rigs for cabs. Be prepared to switch them up depending on what's biting. Having a 2 hook Cab rig on when the tubes are biting just wastes your time. We spent very little time wahoo fishing and it wasn't any good until that last epic bite.

For me the only difference in gear from a shorter trip....was well ....using way less gear. When we were in the Cow country all that I ever fished was Cow gear. (100# - 130#) Whenever there was a lull or at the end of the day I put on my new top shots if needed. For me I spliced my topshots on so I used a loop puller to do this. I only use the Bob Sands knot on the shorter trips so I became much better at that. I just did it right out on deck. I had some loop to loop connections and didn't like those as much. The loop connection area is basically 2x as much spectra so it seemed bulky and floated a bit more. Oh I guess there was gloves....i liked gloves on my hands when the big fish were pulling. Helped keep more of my skin on.

You are so stoked right now. Some good words of advice I got.....put your credit card away! You more than likely already have all you need! It's really easy to buy a bunch of shit you wont need.

Have a blast. Enjoy the vibe. Go everywhere with your eyes wide open!
    dave

Soda Pop, DMcD, Anglewood and 2 others like this.
  11. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Thanks a lot Dave,

You are not the first person that has said to ease off on buying stuff. I'm having dinner with some fellow long rangers tomorrow, I'll be sure to grill them there and get a better idea of what I should be looking at.

-Connor

12. fuj

fuj Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    nope
    Yup, not bad. Drew prepared it two ways - poke and grilled. Grilled was very good. Poke was too but the meat is rather sinewy, which made eating it raw a bit of a challenge.

Pangamaster likes this.
  13. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Just curious...was there any particular reason the marlin was kept? Reason I ask...year or so ago I was on a 12-day on the RS...I think we were down on the Ridge somewhere when this guy who was fishing a dropper loop hooked a heavy that turned out to be around a 70 lb BSB. Fish was pretty much gut-hooked and bleeding rather badly. Even though we were all pretty sure the fish would never make it, the crew was getting ready to release it (SOP) when Brian walked by, looked at the fish, and said "looks like dinner to me." 2 nights later Drew prepared these 4-in. thick grilled BSB filets with some sort of awesome-sauce for dinner. God...it was good! Drew also kept the carcass and later turned it into some of the best fish chowder I've ever had...along with fresh-baked bread, or course.

DMcD

14. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Very rarely will a marlin come aboard any long range boat. I have not been on the Royal Star in a long time but the boats reputation is very good at following ethics. I assume the fish had a fatal wound or even dead and why waste. Blue marlin is good eats, sailfish and stripers not so good.

15. phk1

phk1 Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    none
    Just doesn't seem right waking up without someone yelling, "Big-Country". Pleasure meeting and fishing with you, Bud.

Pangamaster likes this.
  16. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Agreed! Poke wasn't the best but it was good. We had it 2 other times.....Blue Marlin Burgers and grilled with a bacon/blue cheese crust....which was amazing!

17. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The fish died and actually broke off some where under the boat....all of a sudden it floated up and the crew gaffed it. We shared some filet with the Excel as well.....wonder if they ate any?

18. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Ha ha! I had this strange urge to yell out Big Country Just this morning......then I looked around and realized I was in my cube and not in paradise anymore.....sigh.....back to work.

19. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    I hear you, Dave. It is more like "Cube Country" at my work too.

- Jeff Burroughs

Pangamaster likes this.
  20. short-range

short-range Independence

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Independence
    Thanks for sharing great report and pics