My First Trp To Cabo Was Epic and Ended With A GRAND SLAM!!! Also A Sneak Peak!

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by BENNETT, Sep 3, 2013.

1. BENNETT

BENNETT Admiral Muddy Waters

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    18 foot Parker "Work Boat"
    We embarked on my Dad's and I first trip to Cabo and fished Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning with Renegade Mike's Sportfishing. Mike runs a top notch operation with a focus on Customer Service. With me was my dad who turned 70 this year and a co-worker and his son. Our mission was to catch as many fish as possible on our prototype Okuma Andros 12 and 16 size two speed reels and put them to the test. Day one we went offshore looking for dolphin and the tuna that would be with them. With storms all last week no one really knew where the fish would be. We struck out offshore and headed in toward the beach where there had been some marlin caught that morning. While heading in we found a floating seal that had seen better days but was loaded with peanut dorado which was fun for a bit. We ended the day baiting five marlin and getting two to the boat. Sunday we ran directly to the same zone yesterday and it was on. In the first two hours we had seen 10 striped marlin and got four to the boat that weighed from 90 to 150 pound range. We were also in a better grade of dorado from 10 to 15 pounds and let John's son wind in as many dorado as his little arms could handle. The last morning (Labor Day) it would only be my dad and I with Mike as John and his son were going to go on a friends boat. We had 6 hours to fish to make a 3:20 pm flight home from Cabo airport. Reports were wind was going to be up so we played with the thought of going to the East Cape side to try for a big blue marlin. After clearing the arch Mike decided to run to the same area we found the end of the first day. I am glad he did. We put the spread out and within five minutes the ballyhoo rod starts going off. I grab it feed some slack and swung on my first striped marlin of the day a 90 pound class fish. We put out the spread and a couple ballyhoo and the dorado action was non stop for the next hour. I caught them on bass tackle and Savage Gear Swimbaits which was a blast. We put the spread out and about 10 minutes later a marlin tries to take off with the squid chain of teasers and when we snatched the teasers out the fish couldn't decide which lure it wanted to destroy and weaved back and forth in our spread. A live bait dropped back and it was instant. My dad was on his third striped marlin of the trip (he had never landed one either before this trip) After that fish was landed were trolling and Mike starts screaming "GET THE BAITS OUT" I turn around and four or five sailfish were lit up and slashing at the teasers. One quick drop back and I was on a nice class sailfish. This was the only fish we brought aboard for pics and was my first sailfish ever. We were out of ballyhoo from dorado strikes and one of Mikes guys rigged up one of the other bigger baits to troll on our way back to the marina. About 10 minutes later the shotgun bait got bit. After a long freespool we come tight and a 250 pound blue marlin starts and acrobatic show. I am glad I hooked this fish on the Makaira 20-II with harness lugs or it would have been ugly. 1 and a half hours later the 250 pound blue marlin was to leader. As I desperately tried to get the camera out of my pocket from under my harness the leader snapped and the fish swam away unharmed. It took a minute and them Mike says "Holy Crap" you just hit a Cabo Grand Slam. A striped marlin, sailfish, and blue marlin in one morning. So this trip I landed my first (and then 4 more) striped marlin, sailfish, and blue marlin. I also got my first grand slam on my first trip to Cabo!!!!!!! For the first testing on the new Andros sizes it was a complete success. We landed multiple marlin and a sail on the Andros and they are smooth as butter. We left a set of the 12 and 16 sized Andros reels with Renegade Mike to continue to test for us. So if you want to try one out a year before they come out I would book a charter with him. :) We plan on visiting Cabo again and will definitely be fishing with Renegade Mike. He did not try to force a bite that was not happening and went above and beyond many of the guides I have fished with. I am already day dreaming of my return trip. Maybe a spring time rooster and yellowtail mission will be in our future...

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      131.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      138.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      99.2 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      102.8 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      69.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      98.4 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      120.9 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      98.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      115.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
  2. BENNETT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    More pics that did not upload to report.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      124.2 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      109 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      102.1 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      90.4 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      116.7 KB
      Views:
  3. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    Pretty good fishing I'd say.I just have to climb that mast on the sunken pirate ship-might mean jail,but the picture would be too cool.

4. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    Ken You might have lose about 60lbs first. They got the mast tied of to the post on the marina and its leaning hard over. its going to be a mess to get that thing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Ken You might have lose about 60lbs first. They got the mast tied of to the post on the marina and its leaning hard over. its going to be a mess to get that thing up.

5. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    Something goofy going on with the replies. I meant to put a big laughing after my post Ken LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Something goofy going on with the replies. I meant to put a big laughing after my post Ken LOL

6. jowo

jowo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Glastron 205FS
    Hey Mike, will there be an Andros 10? That 12 looks just a tiny bit too wide; thinking a 10 size would be perfect!!!

7. BENNETT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Jowo, the 12 is pretty compact. I will grab a five to compare to a 12 and 16 and get a picture for comparison.

8. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    How many years do you think that thing will stay sunk there?I'm thinking until the worms disentigrate it.A new landmark-' ya turn left at the ol' sunken pirate ship...'

9. BluePabst

BluePabst Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Bertram 30
    Awesome report!! and congrats, it made the front page. I had a lot of fun fishing w/ Mike this year and definitely will book again. Just one question ... what does "pendejo" mean again?? LOL

10. MinnesotaPhats

MinnesotaPhats Lover

Name:
    J. David LeCompte
    Boat:
    20' Triton
    Jajaja. Mike, great post and pics. As anyone who's fished with Renegade Mike knows, he's one of a kind. Not for the faint of heart. Firstly, book him in advance. And be prepared to work, catch fish, and learn. As it should be with any good captain. It's too bad there aren't more like him!

I've been a Shimano guy since day one (22 years ago). But I got to play with Mike's Okumas on some billfish a couple months ago, and they totally kicked ass! I can't wait to try your new contributions to his arsenal! Saludos on your success.

11. BENNETT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Renegade Mike is flat out the best captain I have fished with yet. Being in the fishing industry I have had the privilege of fishing with many different guys.

12. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Great pics!

13. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    just to let you guys know. so far the Andros 12 and 16 test models have been working flawlessly. No issues whatsoever.

Since aug 31 when Mike Bennett fished with us for the first time the 2 reels have caught aprox 25 billfish (mostly strips but many sailfish also) and about 50 to 60 dorado. These were all bait fish. either live bait or chin weighted ballyhoo. many other billfish and dorado were caught on the troll using the Makaira MK 50II and a few on the Makaira SAe 20 on bait

The only compliant I have is that the 12 and 16 do not have Harness lugs at the moment but I hope they will once they hit the market. I am a big believer in standup fishing using a full harness and we are really good at introducing it to first timers. its really tough for most people to hold a rod with 30lbs of drag for more that 15 mins but with a full harness you can really put the pressure on fish and get them in a timely matter. It really makes a difference with the marlin especially as we like to release them in the best possible shape.

On the Andros 12 and 16 we have been fishing 65lb spectra and a short top shot of 80lb P-line CXX and at times using a short 3 ft piece of YoZuri 80lb pink HD fluro. We have been using about 20lbs of drag at strike and bringing it up to 30lbs of drag once the fish settles down. I am amazed at how much drag you can put on these little reels. The Drags are so smooth you can really but the wood to fish.

As any of you that have fished with me before know I like to test our tackle to the limit and these reels have handled it well

I will try and remember to take some pics of the reels next to a old Cal sheeted penn 16s that I have with a Tiburon open face and a T-Bar handle so you can get an idea on the size of these reels.

14. PescadorJim

PescadorJim Newbie

Name:
    Jim Anderson
    Boat:
    21.5 Triumph / Moosea
    Mike, if you like to release the marlin in the best possible shape, how can you continue to drag sailfish up on the back deck for a photo. A lot of those fish are being injured unneccesarily in the process.

dorado50 likes this.
  15. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    Jim If you knew me or ever fished with me you would understand that I am not a big fan of bringing marlin up for pictures but You have to understand that some of these people this is there first or one of a few marlin they will ever catch and it means allot to them. We don't bring every marlin we get up. There are times when we get several in a day and we only bring one up.
    If you read the MikeBennett's story you will see that he says many of the marlin were not broughtup for pics and that one of the sailfish, that was his first ever sail. Youwill notice in the pic the sail had very good color and was released inexcellent shape.
    I have allot of regulars that fish with me every year and we rarely of ever bring them up. I tell the clients that if the fish looks stressed out ( and we are good at seeing that) we will not bring them up. fish has to look lively and with good color.

Fish are pretty tough creatures. they would not be able to survive if they were not. I have been on several tagging trips where we would pull 100 lb plus tuna out of the water. Put archival tags in them and they would be caught later on in great shape.

Here is a few pics of some of the tuna tagging trips.
    View attachment 474865 LTH_07_013.jpg LTH_07_018.jpg LTH_07_020.jpg LTH_07_023.jpg Measure.jpg

16. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
  17. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Awesome fishing. Gotta ask though. Grand slam 3 species? Always thought it was four. Not trying to rake anything away awesome stuff!

18. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    There is different types of Grand Slams but IGFA classifies a billfish Grandslam as 3 spieces of billfish caught by one angler on the same day. http://www.igfa.org/Clubs/Grand-Slam-Clubs.aspx
    We have 2 other ones this year for the boat but it was not the same angler that fought the 3 species of billfish so it does not really count technically.
    Its not common here in cabo but it happens more times than one would think. so many sailfish and strips around right now that it can happen.

19. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    @RenegageMake, really old thread but do you remember the new drag of the penn 16s after the blueprinted cal sheet job?

20. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Newbie

Name:
    Buddy Lee
    Boat:
    when I win the lotto