My first trip on the RP part one

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Olddog8, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Let me start by giving a big thanks to the hardworking crew and the Charter group for welcoming me as a last minute addition. I have fished on five different long range boats over the years. There are standout crew on all of them; Russ and Charlie on the Shogun, Tom, Nick, and Derek on the RR3, but the ENTIRE crew is top notch on the RP - yes, all of them.

Captains Jonathan and Roy, Big D, Eddie, Daren, and Terrence. The Captains even cleaned the heads and served dinner. The two Chefs, Mark and Dave, along with new Chef Joseph, were unequaled compared to other experiences I've had and they were all genuinely warm and friendly.

The RP is a good boat; it's big and rides well, even in some of the rough seas we had. I like that the galley is forward while passenger seating is to the aft and beside the galley. Comfortably it seats about 30 for dinner but 36 could easily squeeze in. The three galley level heads were very nice and recently refurbished, all were kept clean.

Most of the staterooms are smallish, storage was open below the lower bunk and on the bunk beside you. The bunks were wide so I did not have problems. Tackle storage was also lacking, people that had been on the trip before were well prepared with deck boxes and stands that would not be allowed on many boats. There is more than enough room for more tackle storage racks and I think it would help; especially on some of the trips with 35 fishermen. The boat held a lot, I mean a lot of bait. We never ran out of sardines; we did make the bigger baits most nights. Over all, a great boat and I'll fish it again.

This is normally a semi-closed charter, some members of the group have fished this trip for almost 20 years. So I was lucky they had a couple open spots when my trip on the Shogun was cancelled. I felt like part of the family from day one, which was a relief. Thanks to Bill, John, Susan, and Mike for the give always. Every trip I've been on, from half day to 17 day has had some good to great anglers on board but the majority... not so much. This trip EVERY Angler was good to great!

I've never fished with a group that everyone was both courteous and aware of their (and others) lines along with being good individual fishermen. The very first day we found "foamers" of Bluefin, what normally would be a cluster was a thing of beauty.

I only took a couple of photos, I'll post them later.

Part 2 Fishing to follow

jiggyn, Bill W, irukandji and 2 others like this.
  2. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Great you enjoyed your trip, next time you will want a longer trip

3. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Looking forward to your report Rick and all the cool details about your 18/15 day .
    I haven't fished the RP yet but have a couple trips scheduled this year on it.

4. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Just saw that another report was posted from the RP website. The "ghost writer" did an awesome job describing some of our unusual events. I'll post my second part, between them you can get a pretty clear picture of the trip.

5. redsnapper517

redsnapper517 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    It looks like you got a Nice one Rick . :appl:

6. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
  7. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
  8. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Yeah, the RP's a very good boat. Roy's a fishing machine, too. Been on her a few times, including my last trip out.

9. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Will this be in Part 2?
    [​IMG]

tanner.s likes this.
  10. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I'm curious about that shot, too.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

11. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    This is a photo of one of our medical evacuations. We are at Cedros Island, dropping the passenger off with the Mexican navy... He was flown home later that day to receive medical attention... Reports are that he has made a full recovery

Olddog8 likes this.