My first tournament = My first Ahi of the year

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by MattH808, Jul 14, 2019.

1. MattH808

MattH808 Newbie

Name:
    MattH808
    Boat:
    Seacraft 23
    I was having trouble finding a crew to go out with me on Saturday when at the last minute I got a call from an unknown friend of a friend saying he was in the Pearl Harbor tournament out of Waianae and he was short on crew himself after an unexpected cancelation. I immediately volunteered for the opportunity to fish in my first tournament and meet some new fishing buddies.

Met at the harbor at about 3:30 and by the time we got through the paperwork and through the launch line it was about 5 a.m. by the time we got on the water. After a short debate we all decided to head north of kaena point to see what was happening up Haleiwa side. We ran the Thousand fathom past II to J buoy where we finally found some bird action. Unfortunately we found a bunch of aggressive boats that kept cutting us off whenever we made a pass at the buoy too. After an hour it was clear the boats were just pulling up smaller 5-10lb tuna anways, and since it was a biggest fish takes all no-bait tournament we didn't want to waste time jigging for anything smaller so we decided to try our luck in closer along the shelf. We ran the 500 back toward Kaena and just past Haleiwa around noon our port long rigger slams down and line starts peeling. We cleared lines and since the one guy was seasick as sin, I jumped on the reel while the captain took the wheel and we went to work. 35 minutes later the captain leadered and I sunk the gaff into this beautiful Ahi. He followed up and gaffed from the other side, and then heave, hoe, in the boat she goes.

What a beautiful feeling to get that first Ahi of the year and get this monkey off my back and some poke in the boat! We headed toward home as the wind started howling. We made it around the point and picked up a decent Ono around 2:00 coming off the ledge. We fished without any more luck after that until the lines in call came at 3:00. The fish weighed in just shy of 137 which was just enough to take 6th place in the contest with the third biggest ahi for the day.
    (1st place was a 197lb Blue Marlin, biggest Ahi was 188lbs) All in all it seemed like a pretty good day for everyone. No real Gorillas coming in but not many white washes either with a lot of 100ish pound Ahi being weighed. Hopefully it's a good sign that things are picking up out west for the year! We'll have to see next week if I can keep this streak going. Until next time tight lines out there guys!

20190713_135825.jpg 20190714_071407.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    kaze, triton91, JimmyK and 5 others like this.
  2. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Congrats on the nice Ahi and more importantly the 6th place prize in the tournament! Go get some more now!

MattH808 likes this.
  3. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Right on Matt, that's awesome. I'm still waiting to crew for someone and help land my first yellow guy for the year. I think that was Captain Spens on the Ohana H that took 1st but good going placing 6th

MattH808 likes this.
  4. Adamlynam23

Adamlynam23 Newbie

Name:
    adam lynam
    Boat:
    Reel tackle
    Nice fish. Pretty work!

calvinkeithpres and MattH808 like this.
  5. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    nice :-)

MattH808 likes this.
  6. Pursuit2470

Pursuit2470 Newbie

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pursuit 2470
    Great having you on the trip!! It was a pleasure getting to know you! Glad to have you as a new friend and fishing buddy!

MattH808 likes this.
  7. Hana Bata Days

Hana Bata Days Member

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    Hana Bata Days-26 Yellow Fin
    Good going. Nice fish. I was watching the weigh in wishing I had gone. Saw a lot of Ahi being weighed in.

MattH808 likes this.
  8. MattH808

MattH808 Newbie

Name:
    MattH808
    Boat:
    Seacraft 23
    Thanks Russ heading back out again tomorrow if this wind cooperates enough! :)

Spot on Darren, Ohana H had the winning Marlin. If you want to get out before the seasons over just let me know. Always looking for experienced reliable crew to go out with and new fishing buddies!

Troy it was a pleasure fishing with you guys! LMK any time you want to get out there and do it again!

Don I was just happy you left a couple of those yellow guys out there for us to catch. ;)

ACran1 and shadzdad like this.
  9. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Good goin' guys, way to get after it.

Cheers
    Pat