My First Self-Customized Flat Fall

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Loc if you make it big with glow hooks. I deserve royalties and a kick back :D just refer to reply #1 on this thread :)

Problem is if someone manufactures glow hooks over seas. Good luck suing them. Even with design patent and trade dress wrights and any other protection from parasites. Suing or putting a stop to it is near impossible or taking them to court for patent infringement. From 2 different country's. Pain in the ass. So go for it. Just don't forget me bwwaaahhhha and make the quality superior

At the least. It will catch fisherman. But imo glow does work at times. But most important is a direct hit and fishing a magical jig good. The high stick could be using a black jig. Tuna feed swimming up. They don't follow lures swimming down. Don't go to deep because it eliminates part of the playing field. Tuna really do swim up to feed. Not down. Tuna can key in on a bait from a distance

Allot of hooks have been glowed since this thread.

I have a few of those squid squirts meant to stick a candy bar jig in. They are 20 years old and now in storage. Should had tried it more

At the border of panama. Duty free. I can buy knock off quicksilver shirts for $5. Identical as a authentic one

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
Dec 16, 2003
Apple Valley CA
Name
Hal
Boat
if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
Potentially very upsetting!
After reading a bunch about epoxy v. powder coating, and then getting a little toaster oven, buying powder, getting a fluid bed, making a mess, spending hours ---- it will be really a drag if it turns out I could have used a can of this spray paint! I will do a comparison, but might be too distressed to report.

If I do report, it will be on a new thread -- as this one has meandered, pleasantly but substantially.
Loc... did you test it yet? and what brand of paint are we talking about?

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Loc... did you test it yet? and what brand of paint are we talking about?
    Still on the learning curve. I'll post when I get something worth showing. I want the barb and point uncoated and flat black, so have just used Ni-40 to make a nitrous oxide coating on about 20 big stainless hooks. Decided to wait for the heat resistant masking tape I just ordered, as I think the aluminum duct tape will be too difficult to get off. There are a lot of decision points, at which I am commonly make the wrong turn. Fun to screw up - with no major consequence, but takes time.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Potentially very upsetting!
    After reading a bunch about epoxy v. powder coating, and then getting a little toaster oven, buying powder, getting a fluid bed, making a mess, spending hours ---- it will be really a drag if it turns out I could have used a can of this spray paint! I will do a comparison, but might be too distressed to report.

If I do report, it will be on a new thread -- as this one has meandered, pleasantly but substantially.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. Powder paint, according to what I have read from people much more informed than I am, is MUCH better than glow in a spray can.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

Big Dave's biggest bluefin
    May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    I tried krylon glow in the dark paint and it was not brite enough for me. I spray painted the back of a couple blue/white 6xjr. I was disapointed.

Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    Here are the jigs I will be adding epoxy glow pigment mini dots in various colors.

It might take me a few days for epoxy to dry to do both sides and multi colors.

I like the hardware configurations.

20180923_200535.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    In response to an earlier question about clear finish, this stuff is money.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear-Aerosol.html

Also, this tape with a hole punch makes it easy to add dots to anything. Glow brightly and lasts pretty long.

Amazon product
    Yes, that Diamond Finish Clear Coat is good stuff. Lots of guys that DIY jigs and stick baits use it.

I've also read about guys using glow tape on the flat side of their jigs. Don't know if this particular brand is used. It think it's more like a commercial glow tape.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    Amazon product
    I bought one of these, two wraps of spectra around the spool and it doesn't slip. Was able to mark out 100' increments by myself in about 5 minutes. Just took the line off my mak, double wrapped it around the line counter and reeled it on another empty reel I had laying around.

Why not just attached the line counter to the rod??

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Any ideas on how to rig the hooks? I wonder how to put an assist hook on the top ring. Should I cut into squid body?
    Wow, were you correct that the standard PL68 glow is just not up to snuff. When I saw your rig I got some of those molded squid, but the glow was very dim. So I tried the power paint. A bit concerned it is too bright, but suspect my camera is making up for the all over darkness in this closet.

Anyway, I decided to not rig assist hooks, mainly because I wanted to be able to slide the squid up to charge the PL68. As I write this, though, what about rigging the assist hooks to something sliding -- , like maybe just a small solid ring that could be threaded on before crimping on the leader.

Anyway, I rigged mine with glow hooks. Wadayathink?
    P68SqiPostnew.JPG

Reactions: Guideoutpost
    Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    I crimped a second 9/0 DT hook with a short piece of 200 flouro to the top ring to go inside the squid and then a 3' leader 200 and ball bearing swivel.

I found a 100 led UV flashlight for $23 locally. Six AA batteries.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Nuclear squid... watch your nuts.

Maybe a warning label. Use at your own risk :D looks nuclear

And maybe shove a live sardine into the body cavity to get some frantic wiggle. If there was space

Like a dead squid stuffed with a live bait. Proper direction. Live bait chokes out but not immediately and the bait still remains meaty

Go lok

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    84E958A4-6877-4D2F-90DF-B6A1B906A6F8.jpeg
    DED7056E-7DA7-42A7-B9E5-5C6F0CD8396A.jpeg
    I found these hooks that are very similar to the Owner Monster assist that are pretty good. I tied these up and think they’re a winner.

Reactions: vegasandre
    Upvote 0