Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
[QUOTE="Luke, ...could the noise mean more than the glow???
Sorry but the glow discussion is beyond me.........
Luke
Luke, is there a reason the 9/0 Jobu isn't on a swivel?
Why didn't you use a grommet at the jig? Is the thought that the spring chafe protector offers better protection from teeth than a grommet?
I think you are on to something with the noise factor... how many man hours spent running this jig to catch the 9 BFT?[/QUOTE]

The reason for no swivel on the Jobu was 1) did not see a need, and 2) keep the the rigging simple. So far there has not been an incident where the lack of a swivel made a difference. In fact having that big hook stationary might actual secure the other hooks better when they penetrate. I have no idea if that statement is accurate or not. Net/net.....not necessary.

I prefer the SS spring over the grommet on the jig for better bite resistance. Maybe is a toss up but so far the SS spring has been 100%.

I also like the old school commercial style ring/grommet on the top of the FC leader. The grommet adds an angle that helps prevent damaging the FC when crimping.

Now to the hours.......that will take some effort to figure out. All fish were caught in the dark or very early grey and some trips were a blank not only for the jig but also the boat. Here are the trips where the jig produced: 1 1/2 day, 2 day, 2 day, 1 1/2 day, 2 day and 2 day. This was over the last two seasons. There were also a couple more trips where we missed. I just do not have the ability to estimate the man-hours.

Lastly, we mark our spectra so when fishing the jig was in the zone the vast majority of the time. This is critical for success.

Luke

Upvote 0

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
Dec 16, 2003
Apple Valley CA
Name
Hal
Boat
if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
Lastly, we mark our spectra so when fishing the jig was in the zone the vast majority of the time. This is critical for success.
Luke
Thanks for the tips, currently trying to come up with a way to measure and mark my spectra, as I agree that this seems as if it would be a critical element. The rigging of the jig is seemingly less vital than needing to be in the right zone!

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I put a couple of stakes in the back yard 30' apart. Then a friend told me about going to your local football field where the measuring is already done for you :imdumb: As far as marking a black Sharpie if the line is white and a series of nail knots in a different colored spectra if your line is a dark colored. Be sure to secure the nail knots with a couple drops of Tac Glue to keep it from slipping.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    Regarding the grommets on the leader. I have never found any that were rated higher than 135#. Are the 135# grommets being used ? Where are they available ?

Disregard. Found some on Amazon. Lol, what don't the sell?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    Regarding the grommets on the leader. I have never found any that were rated higher than 135#. Are the 135# grommets being used ? Where are they available ?

Disregard. Found some on Amazon. Lol, what don't the sell?

Only buy the ones that are SS or brass. The plastic ones have issues. My supply is from years ago when I got them from a commercial fishing supply in San Pedro.

Reactions: Intrepid Fan
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Amazon product
    I bought one of these, two wraps of spectra around the spool and it doesn't slip. Was able to mark out 100' increments by myself in about 5 minutes. Just took the line off my mak, double wrapped it around the line counter and reeled it on another empty reel I had laying around.

Reactions: Sacto John
    Upvote 0

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    If glow hooks is not patented already - someone owes you and this thread a commission because it's going to happen.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

Big Dave's biggest bluefin
    May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    If you want to blacken your hooks, try a black sharpie marker

I use the sharpie on hooks I sharpen to help them resist rust.

Upvote 0

hhal

Dec 16, 2003
    Apple Valley CA
    Name
    Hal
    Boat
    Amazon product
    I bought one of these, two wraps of spectra around the spool and it doesn't slip. Was able to mark out 100' increments by myself in about 5 minutes. Just took the line off my mak, double wrapped it around the line counter and reeled it on another empty reel I had laying around.
    well... hell... that is just too damn easy!

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    If glow hooks is not patented already - someone owes you and this thread a commission because it's going to happen.
    Stay tuned: I just received my powder, in green and blue, and flat non glow white and pink and coral and flat black, and got a cheep toaster oven to dedicate to the task. Also have a fluid bed, which I did not know existed before the suggestion of glow hooks on this thread.

Must say, the most impressive post was that with the picture of of PL68 stuffed inside a silicone squid. That needed glow hooks, too, but what a wonderful tangent for over-thinking.

Upvote 0

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    Here you go - I just want free hooks:

Yes! Your domain is available. Buy it before someone else does.
    glowhook.com

Upvote 0

hhal

Dec 16, 2003
    Apple Valley CA
    Name
    Hal
    Boat
    Must say, the most impressive post was that with the picture of of PL68 stuffed inside a silicone squid. That needed glow hooks, too, but what a wonderful tangent for over-thinking.
    I about crapped when I saw that too... pretty much exactly what I had in mind at that point of the conversation... I may have to see if I can come up with that combination prior to my trip next week.
    I did like what Luke had to say about the 'noise' factor with all the additional hardware glommed on the standard flatfall... thinking that might be a serious factor. Luke is one of the best fishermen I have ever had the pleasure to fish with, good attention to detail and on it from start to finish. I pay attention to what he has to say!

Reactions: Luke
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Stay tuned: I just received my powder, in green and blue, and flat non glow white and pink and coral and flat black, and got a cheep toaster oven to dedicate to the task. Also have a fluid bed, which I did not know existed before the suggestion of glow hooks on this thread.

One thing you might want to consider is that these hooks are heat treated, and "cooking" them at too high a temperature could affect their molecular structure. I doubt it and I don't know what too high a temperature is, so carry on.

Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    What type of glow powder are you trying?

I tried some glow powder coating on some small egg sinkers which was simple and would probably work good on hooks, but it doesn't glow as bright as the technoglow pigment in clear epoxy.

I just put a finishing nail through the 3/8 oz egg sinker and held it with pliers over the stove burner and dipped in the powder jar. Probably not the best method. But results were good for a quick test.

I might try mixing some encapsulated aqua pigment into a small sample of the Pro-Tec super glow powder coat.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    Mixed 20 grains of Pro-Tec super glow powder with 10 grains of technoglow aqua encapsulated pigment in a shotglass for first batch.

Second batch I used non'encapsulated green technoglow instead.

Third batch was with Pro-Tec super glow
    White.(glows green) straight from the jar.

I'm soaking a few in tap water for a few hours to see if it fades after getting water soaked

20180922_152737.jpg

Upvote 0

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    glowhooks.com expired too

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 9/11/2018 and is pending renewal or deletion.
    Welcome to glowhooks.com

Seems like a bizness for night fishing - not sure on patent rights

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    What type of glow powder are you trying?

I tried some glow powder coating on some small egg sinkers which was simple and would probably work good on hooks, but it doesn't glow as bright as the technoglow pigment in clear epoxy.

I just put a finishing nail through the 3/8 oz egg sinker and held it with pliers over the stove burner and dipped in the powder jar. Probably not the best method. But results were good for a quick test.

I might try mixing some encapsulated aqua pigment into a small sample of the Pro-Tec super glow powder coat.
    For fluorescent: Alumiglow from Thirtyfathoms. For other powders: The powder coat store via e-bay. The Pro-Tech is out there. I have not tried. Was impressed with the recommendation of others who had.

Reactions: Guideoutpost
    Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    Here is the results of my tests. The bottom two are with just Pro-Tech super glow white.

The others have added pigment. The ones with nails in them were soaked in water for about 5 hours. I did not see any noticeable difference with water soaked brightness.

20180922_234820.jpg

After 20 minutes.
    20180922_235818.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    For fluorescent: Alumiglow from Thirtyfathoms. For other powders: The powder coat store via e-bay. The Pro-Tech is out there. I have not tried. Was impressed with the recommendation of others who had.

I liked watching the videos that was on thirtyfathoms.com. The idea of using a bed of salt to rest jigs on would solve the problem of drips sticking the jigs to cardboard box.

I'm going to try a few jigs with small dots.

I may buy some alumiglow powder paint and try that on some sinkers.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Glow paint is much easier to use for sinkers. I’ve used this before with good results. Works best on white undercoat and takes a few coats.

Amazon product
    Paint..
    07C3ABB2-DC9E-41A7-8CA5-06B59116D275.jpeg

Thirty fathoms epoxy system works well for glow dots and detail on jigs.

Dots..
    49DD17AE-B229-4FF3-85BD-3C0AF6FF45A8.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    The max I plan to go is 39
    One thing you might want to consider is that these hooks are heat treated, and "cooking" them at too high a temperature could affect their molecular structure. I doubt it and I don't know what too high a temperature is, so carry on.
    The max I plan to go would be 392F (for the flat black on weights) or 350F on hooks, etc. I don't think that is going to impact temper, but if someone on here has different thoughts, well, that is why we have the forum, right?

(Yes, I will have to be careful not to overshoot the lead heating - don't want to melt them. I think lead melts at 621F, about.)

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Glow paint is much easier to use for sinkers. I’ve used this before with good results. Works best on white undercoat.

Amazon product
    Paint..
    View attachment 966159

Thirty fathoms epoxy system works well for glow dots and detail on jigs.

Dots..
    View attachment 966160
    Potentially very upsetting!
    After reading a bunch about epoxy v. powder coating, and then getting a little toaster oven, buying powder, getting a fluid bed, making a mess, spending hours ---- it will be really a drag if it turns out I could have used a can of this spray paint! I will do a comparison, but might be too distressed to report.

If I do report, it will be on a new thread -- as this one has meandered, pleasantly but substantially.

Reactions: dh515
    Upvote 0