Guideoutpost

Big Dave's biggest bluefin
May 26, 2018
Ca
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
The colorful squid pictures has got me thinking about using technoglow green, aquamarine and pink to rust pigment in epoxy.

20180916_224211.jpg 20180916_224710.jpg

I'm going to test on some lead sinkers until I have the mix optimized.

The green glow pigment is non-encapsulated.

The aqua is encapsulated. I will test the lead sinkers by soaking one of each color to see if the color fades or if the epoxy works as to waterproof the non-encapsulated green.

Last edited:
Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    The aqua is encapsulated. I will test the lead sinkers by soaking one of each color to see if the color fades or if the epoxy works as to waterproof the non-encapsulated green.
    Look forward to your findings and suggestions!

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Interestingly on the 6 day I got back on half the fish where caught on non glow jigs and with no moon visible either. Sometimes I think we over think this stuff. I am a believer in adding assist hooks however. I was lacking them the first night we fished and got one hit on a drop and when reeling right felt it po right out of the mouth. Hours later hooked a fish on the grind and had it hung for about 2 minutes before double jobus came free. I blamed on too much drag pressure early on before the hooks worked in but either way I blanked across the trip on flatfalls. Weirdly though ended the trip with 4 bluefin which was the high stick. Only 1 night fish landed for me. Sinker rig with a mack 2 hours before the end of the trip. Managed to catch 3 of the 4 daylight "non kite" bluefin. 1 on fly lined mack and 2 with my freshwater swimbait rod throwing small stuff into the few foamers we pulled on. Felt pretty good getting 2 out of the 3 foamers we tried. my brother got the other daytime fish using a lure I handed him :D
    Textured trip, but sounds like a feel good adventure. Thanks for sharing, especially about the thoughts on the assist hooks.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    The colorful squid pictures has got me thinking about using technoglow green, aquamarine and pink to rust pigment in epoxy.

View attachment 964635 View attachment 964636

I'm going to test on some lead sinkers until I have the mix optimized.

The green glow pigment is non-encapsulated.

Message tautog_17. He’s already done all the legwork. If it glows, he knows!

Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    Well I learned a few things about putting epoxy with glow powder on sinkers and jigs.

1. Wear disposable gloves to keep from putting glowing fingerprint on stuff. Lol

2. When you first apply it. Expect it to slide off things like egg sinkers.

3. Don't put jigs on cardboard or paper. There is a lot of run off if not level. The jigs will stick and make a mess.

4. Don't be in a hurry. The epoxy has a longer cure time than expected

5. I'm glad I practiced on some Salas jigs and egg sinkers on my first try.

6. Don't put egg sinkers on coat hangers they are almost impossible to get off.

20180917_114911.jpg 20180917_154527.jpg

The results on the pl68 flat side looks awsome. I put a little aqua powder in the epoxy while it was still wet.
    You can see the stuck on cardboard on 6xjr.

I will post glow analysis after it gets dark.

But it seems to be much brighter than stock glow paint on Salas but I will post better findings later.

I measured 90 grains of green pigment into an unused laundry measuring cap. I then measured 15 ML of part A epoxy. And mixed for a couple minutes. When pigment was mixed well I Added 15 ML of part B and mixed again.

I started putting epoxy on egg sinkers and it just ran right off. So I added 25 grains of pigment because it looked a little light in color. About a quarter ounce of pigment total, to an ounce of epoxy. I'm sure I wasted a lot on run off.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
    Sep 12, 2010
    garden grove, ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Maria
    Question on epoxy/pigment is it better to primer white first like glow paint?

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    Here are my results. The top group are stock factory jigs. Top to bottom Tady, fall flat 500. Not sure an smaller FF and Salas 6xjr

The bottom group are with epoxy pigment added. Two 6xjr, egg sinker (fail), pl68 (awsome).

I charged them all up using two if flashlights for 5 minutes.

20180917_201819.jpg

Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    I painted on top of the stock glow paint on the salas 6xjr , pl68. With the epoxy glow pigment.

I think it really looks better. The drops on the side really look like internal squid parts in the images above

Upvote 0

Guideoutpost

May 26, 2018
    Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    I painted on top of the stock glow paint on the salas 6xjr , pl68. With the epoxy glow pigment.

I think it really looks better. The drops on the side really look like internal squid parts in the images above

Any ideas on how to rig the hooks? I wonder how to put an assist hook on the top ring. Should I cut into squid body?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting

She the PL68 (Of which I have several extra) one in and out of the rubber squid easily enough that you can charge it?

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Someone has A LOT of free time. What a great set up really interested in seeing it in action. Now you need a picture of a COW with it hanging out of its mouth. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    BCE51B37-96BA-4072-BAE2-1AEDD338951B.jpeg
    An update on the Thunderbird method of rigging. The FlatFall above has now caught 9 fish from 50# to 234#. We have changed the 200# FC leader three times and all the hooks are the same from the initial build. I have total confidence in this highly modified FF. All you have to do is cut away the shrink tube on a stock FF and inspect the way they are knotted to understand there is a better way. I think the heavy duty split rings also work fine but the brazed rings with ball bearing swivels is just so clean. All the credit goes to the Thunderbird guys for figuring it out. Last thought, this jig makes noise with all the hardware. The Thunderbird boat rod is rigged the same way but with split rings and consistently it out fishes everyone else’s FF.......could the noise mean more than the glow???

Sorry but the glow discussion is beyond me.........

Luke

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    View attachment 965062 An update on the Thunderbird method of rigging. The FlatFall above has now caught 9 fish from 50# to 234#. We have changed the 200# FC leader three times and all the hooks are the same from the initial build. I have total confidence in this highly modified FF. All you have to do is cut away the shrink tube on a stock FF and inspect the way they are knotted to understand there is a better way. I think the heavy duty split rings also work fine but the brazed rings with ball bearing swivels is just so clean. All the credit goes to the Thunderbird guys for figuring it out. Last thought, this jig makes noise with all the hardware. The Thunderbird boat rod is rigged the same way but with split rings and consistently it out fishes everyone else’s FF.......could the noise mean more than the glow???

Luke
    It was you I was sort of copying -- but you got it so much better.
    I wish I had used a smaller ring for the final to-lure connections, and the shorter shanked hooks above the Jobu are just better.

Are those smaller hooks Owner, Mustad, VMC???.

9 bluefin!!!! It almost becomes economical - but not quite.

Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    It was you I was sort of copying -- but you got it so much better.
    I wish I had used a smaller ring for the final to-lure connections, and the shorter shanked hooks above the Jobu are just better.

Are those smaller hooks Owner, Mustad, VMC???.

9 bluefin!!!! It almost becomes economical - but not quite.

Trokar Live Bait HD TK8 7/0, has a big barb and is very sharp. The big hook is a Jobu 9/0.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    View attachment 965062 An update on the Thunderbird method of rigging. The FlatFall above has now caught 9 fish from 50# to 234#. We have changed the 200# FC leader three times and all the hooks are the same from the initial build. I have total confidence in this highly modified FF. All you have to do is cut away the shrink tube on a stock FF and inspect the way they are knotted to understand there is a better way. I think the heavy duty split rings also work fine but the brazed rings with ball bearing swivels is just so clean. All the credit goes to the Thunderbird guys for figuring it out. Last thought, this jig makes noise with all the hardware. The Thunderbird boat rod is rigged the same way but with split rings and consistently it out fishes everyone else’s FF.......could the noise mean more than the glow???

Luke

Some tidy braze work there, Luke!

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    What do you think it failed -- I am thinking of boat black powderv=coatiing my trolling leads - hints appreciated.

Have you tried glow coating any hooks?
    Might try a heat gun to heat the sinker then dip it into your powder.

Or make or buy a fluid bed and do it that way

Upvote 0

potuna

Unknown member
    Jul 23, 2011
    San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Royal Polaris,Shogun, Indy and somebody else's.
    Loc,
    I tried a 250 gram glow at hurricane bank the last two trips and got nothing. The fishing was slow both times, they were stock out of the box not turboed like yours. I look forward to hanging out with you and trying to figure out what makes you tick. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Upvote 0

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
    Dec 16, 2003
    Apple Valley CA
    Name
    Hal
    Boat
    if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
    [QUOTE="Luke, ...could the noise mean more than the glow???
    Luke[/QUOTE]
    Luke, is there a reason the 9/0 Jobu isn't on a swivel?
    Why didn't you use a grommet at the jig? Is the thought that the spring chafe protector offers better protection from teeth than a grommet?
    I think you are on to something with the noise factor... how many man hours spent running this jig to catch the 9 BFT?

Upvote 0